Re: Told you Sony's 24mp sensor was noisy

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Oct 27, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 26, 11:29 am, Bowser <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 22:04:16 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    > >I noticed it in the NEX-7 results and now, it seems that the SLT-A77 has
    > >the issue.  However, the camera does show really high resolution.
    > >The Pentax K5 remains the noise control king of APS.

    > >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/page14.asp

    > But the NEX looks better than the A77 since it receives more light. I
    > expected higher noise levels from the more densely packed sensor, but
    > what I'd like to see is prints from these cams. Viewing these images
    > at 100% on screen tells me little.
    >
    > My NEX 7 is still on pre-order.

    I'm still wondering about a choice. A new "pro" Panasonic m4/3rds is
    due and Sony's production is compromised.

    RichA, Oct 27, 2011

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Bowser <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 06:51:02 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    >wrote:

    >>> But the NEX looks better than the A77 since it receives more light. I
    >>> expected higher noise levels from the more densely packed sensor, but
    >>> what I'd like to see is prints from these cams. Viewing these images
    >>> at 100% on screen tells me little.
    >>>
    >>> My NEX 7 is still on pre-order.

    >>I'm still wondering about a choice. A new "pro" Panasonic m4/3rds is
    >>due and Sony's production is compromised.

    >I think the best we can hope for in the GX1 is the sensor in the G3.
    >Good, not in Sony's class.

    The G3 16 MP sensor competes with Sony's 16 MP sensor when the latter
    is fitted to a Sony camera. The G3's sensor cannot compete with
    Sony's 16 MP sensor when the latter is fitted to a Pentax or Nikon
    camera. Sony has still not mastered the problem of high ISO noise,
    when Pentax and Nikon both have.

    >I think that the sensor in the NEX 7, when
    >not handicapped by a pellicle mirror will be about a stop better. Just
    >guessing. For me, if it's good up to ISO 3200 I'm OK with it.

    Sony claims that the pellicle mirror robs only about one third of a
    stop of light. Without any means of verifying that claim, we have no
    option but to take it at face value.

    Bruce, Oct 27, 2011

  3. In rec.photo.digital Bruce <> wrote:
    > Bowser <> wrote:

    >>I think that the sensor in the NEX 7, when
    >>not handicapped by a pellicle mirror will be about a stop better. Just
    >>guessing. For me, if it's good up to ISO 3200 I'm OK with it.

    > Sony claims that the pellicle mirror robs only about one third of a
    > stop of light. Without any means of verifying that claim, we have no
    > option but to take it at face value.

    Those who have compared NEX-7 with A77 exposures have found about 1/3
    stop difference.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, Oct 28, 2011
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 27, 2:50 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Bowser <> wrote:
    > >On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 06:51:02 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > >wrote:

    > >>I'm still wondering about a choice.  A new "pro" Panasonic m4/3rds is
    > >>due and Sony's production is compromised.

    > >I think the best we can hope for in the GX1 is the sensor in the G3.
    > >Good, not in Sony's class.

    > The G3 16 MP sensor competes with Sony's 16 MP sensor when the latter
    > is fitted to a Sony camera.  The G3's sensor cannot compete with
    > Sony's 16 MP sensor when the latter is fitted to a Pentax or Nikon
    > camera.

    True, its DR isn't up to the APC. But, up to around 3200 ISO, the GH2
    sensor is nearly on-par with the D7000, I compared them both. The G3
    sensor which some had claimed was a stop less noise controlled than
    the GH2, is really almost the same. So, the G3 should hold its own
    with the Nikon, and is clearly less noisy than the A77 and the NEX
    7.

    RichA, Oct 29, 2011
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Oct 27, 2:50 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> Bowser <> wrote:

    >> >I think the best we can hope for in the GX1 is the sensor in the G3.
    >> >Good, not in Sony's class.

    >> The G3 16 MP sensor competes with Sony's 16 MP sensor when the latter
    >> is fitted to a Sony camera.  The G3's sensor cannot compete with
    >> Sony's 16 MP sensor when the latter is fitted to a Pentax or Nikon
    >> camera.

    >True, its DR isn't up to the APC. But, up to around 3200 ISO, the GH2
    >sensor is nearly on-par with the D7000, I compared them both. The G3
    >sensor which some had claimed was a stop less noise controlled than
    >the GH2, is really almost the same. So, the G3 should hold its own
    >with the Nikon, and is clearly less noisy than the A77 and the NEX-7.

    I'm going to be able to compare the Panasonic G3 side-by-side with the
    D7000 over the next few months. Yesterday I bought a three month old
    G3 and 14-42mm kit lens from a customer who (ironically!) traded it
    for a D7000. I am already looking for a good example of the earlier
    and optically better 14-45mm version which I had on my GF1.

    It's worth keeping it until the NEX-7 becomes widely available here,
    which I understand will be at least six months from now. The Sony
    factory may be even deeper under water than the Nikon factory, but
    rumours of a new digital Nikonos product cannot be discounted. :-(

    Bruce, Oct 30, 2011