Re: Told you Sony's 24mp sensor was noisy

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Me, Oct 26, 2011.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    On 26/10/2011 4:04 p.m., Rich wrote:
    > I noticed it in the NEX-7 results and now, it seems that the SLT-A77 has
    > the issue. However, the camera does show really high resolution.
    > The Pentax K5 remains the noise control king of APS.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/page14.asp

    With the Pentax K5 it looks like a /shitload/ of NR goes on between
    reading the sensor and so-called "raw file".
    Me, Oct 26, 2011

  2. Me

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 26, 2:18 am, Me <> wrote:
    > On 26/10/2011 4:04 p.m., Rich wrote:> I noticed it in the NEX-7 results and now, it seems that the SLT-A77 has
    > > the issue.  However, the camera does show really high resolution.
    > > The Pentax K5 remains the noise control king of APS.

    > >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/page14.asp

    > With the Pentax K5 it looks like a /shitload/ of NR goes on between
    > reading the sensor and so-called "raw file".

    If it results in loss of detail or quality, that's not good.
    RichA, Oct 26, 2011

  3. Me

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 06:32:46 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    : On Oct 26, 2:18 am, Me <> wrote:
    : > On 26/10/2011 4:04 p.m., Rich wrote:> I noticed it in the NEX-7 results and now, it seems that the SLT-A77 has
    : > > the issue.  However, the camera does show really high resolution.
    : > > The Pentax K5 remains the noise control king of APS.
    : >
    : > >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/page14.asp
    : >
    : > With the Pentax K5 it looks like a /shitload/ of NR goes on between
    : > reading the sensor and so-called "raw file".
    :
    : If it results in loss of detail or quality, that's not good.

    Well, is it that or just that the default presentation of the RAW image is set
    to a high NR level? If the latter (as I think it would be in the Canon world),
    then you could back it off with no overall loss of information.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Oct 26, 2011