re to thor and please read anyone i need help!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Isildur, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. Isildur

    Isildur Guest

    Just to let you know i tried it with no IDE devices, still the same,
    whenever the noise occurs, the active smart program says there is an
    attribute change in 'seek time performance' and 'seek error rate' or one of
    these two.
    The noise is also alot more frequent now, it seems to be going down the same
    road as the other drive (the drive that works fine in another computer) so i
    hope the new IDE cable will work, if it doesn't what else can i change?
    (someone suggested moving any magnets away, so i moved my stereo system, but
    it did nothing, also it made the noise in a computer shop so that kills that
    theory dead)

    Here is a list of things i've changed so far:
    CPU: was athlonxp1600+ now 2600+ (new fan upto 3200+)
    Hard Drive: was maxtor 40gig 7200 (which is now fine in another comp) now
    maxtor 80gig diamondmax9 ata-133 (hoping against hope that maybe my IDE
    cable isn't right as one didn't come with the drive itself)
    changed geforce 2 to geforce4 (totally doubt this has anything to do with
    it, but i thought i'd mention anyway)
    Motherboard: was ECS (now works fine in another computer with old HD) now
    ASrock agp 8x ata133 compatible.
    Power Supply Unit: was 300watt now 400watt

    The last time, with the other hard drive i thought the floppy was to blame
    as the light would come on when the hard drive made the noise, this i
    removed months ago so it wasn't the floppy drive's fault. (could a faulty hd
    ide cable be to blame?)
    As for the history of the cable, i've had so far three motherboards the
    first worked fine for over a year from new, then (maybe due to my messing
    around with hardware) i got errors copying files to my hard drive on
    installing xp etc, so the board was changed (to the ECS, same IDE cable and
    everything else) everything was working well again.
    After 8 - 12 months of use i first encountered the dreaded noise, but it was
    very rare at first, and pulling the ide cable in and out seemed to shut it
    up and could be fine for weeks again (also remember i thought the floppy was
    to blame at this point)
    To cut a longer story short the noise became more and more frequent until
    running the computer became annoying as things would lock up/freeze when
    another motherboard! (i understand my folly now, why i trusted to his
    judgement again i don't know but i built another computer for my dad out of
    the old parts anyway lol)
    And from there i've listed all the parts i've bought above (all brand new)
    My question is, can an IDE cable go faulty? even as i write this it springs
    to mind that maybe even on the original motherboard the cable might of
    sucked and messed up file copying, (though the computer had run perfectly
    for over a year or more)

    I'm basically trying to build my hopes up until my new IDE cable arrives, so
    has anyone encountered problems with IDE cables going bad? i've tried to be
    as thorough as possible with the history of it all, and the IDE thing is
    really my last hope and resort! though whether successful or not i can't
    believe i didn't think of it sooner!
    thanks for reading!

    For the noise it makes and a picture of the 'active smart' error please
    visit:

    http://www.michaelharper01.btinternet.co.uk/ (the noise happens on the ninth
    second lol)

    P.S:
    Before anyone suggests this, i seriously doubt the drive has 'gone bad' as
    it's absolutely brand new (wish they'd of included a cable though!) i've had
    it three weeks plus the old one that did the same is fine now elsewhere!
    thanks again
    Michael

    Isildur, Nov 11, 2003

  2. Isildur

    Robert Baer Guest

    Isildur wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > I'm basically trying to build my hopes up until my new IDE cable arrives, so
    > has anyone encountered problems with IDE cables going bad? i've tried to be
    > as thorough as possible with the history of it all, and the IDE thing is
    > really my last hope and resort! though whether successful or not i can't
    > believe i didn't think of it sooner!
    > thanks for reading!
    >
    > For the noise it makes and a picture of the 'active smart' error please
    > visit:
    >
    > http://www.michaelharper01.btinternet.co.uk/ (the noise happens on the ninth
    > second lol)
    >
    > P.S:
    > Before anyone suggests this, i seriously doubt the drive has 'gone bad' as
    > it's absolutely brand new (wish they'd of included a cable though!) i've had
    > it three weeks plus the old one that did the same is fine now elsewhere!

    I have never seen anIDE cable go bad, but i have heard of one case.
    They are so cheap and easy to get that it sort-of boggles the
    imagination that you changed everything else except for the cable.
    It would not hurt to give that a try.
    The sound track indicated normal HD seeks, withthe exceptionof the
    louder metallic-like "click", which is puzzling.
    Except for the cable, it seems you have covered all the bases, so if
    changing the cable does no good, i am completely stumpped.

    Robert Baer, Nov 11, 2003

  3. Isildur

    Michael-NC Guest

    The drive is under warranty. Just send it back and get a new one. As I
    mentioned before, it's _entirely_ possible to get a bad hard drive right out
    of the box. It's happened to me more than a few times.

    Michael-NC, Nov 11, 2003
  4. Isildur

    Steve Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > The drive is under warranty. Just send it back and get a new one. As I
    > mentioned before, it's _entirely_ possible to get a bad hard drive right

    out
    > of the box. It's happened to me more than a few times.

    I agree with Michael but spend the $2 or $3 for a new cable and check that
    first.

    ---

    Steve, Nov 11, 2003
  5. Isildur

    Isildur Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > The drive is under warranty. Just send it back and get a new one. As I
    > mentioned before, it's _entirely_ possible to get a bad hard drive right

    out
    > of the box. It's happened to me more than a few times.

    If that's so, why is the original hard drive that did this, now working
    fine, i'm pretty sure if i put this drive in that computer the noise would
    cease

    Isildur, Nov 11, 2003
  6. Isildur

    Isildur Guest

    > I have never seen anIDE cable go bad, but i have heard of one case.
    > They are so cheap and easy to get that it sort-of boggles the
    > imagination that you changed everything else except for the cable.
    > It would not hurt to give that a try.
    > The sound track indicated normal HD seeks, withthe exceptionof the
    > louder metallic-like "click", which is puzzling.
    > Except for the cable, it seems you have covered all the bases, so if
    > changing the cable does no good, i am completely stumpped.

    It boggles my mind too, i guess i must of disregarded it as 'not gonna be
    that'
    Though at least i've had some decent upgrades!, the IDE cable should be here
    tomorrow i hope.
    I'll only spend 20 minutes a day on the computer until it arrives and i see
    my fate to be safe-ish.

    Isildur, Nov 11, 2003
  7. Isildur

    Thor Guest

    "Isildur" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > > The drive is under warranty. Just send it back and get a new one. As I
    > > mentioned before, it's _entirely_ possible to get a bad hard drive right

    > out
    > > of the box. It's happened to me more than a few times.

    > If that's so, why is the original hard drive that did this, now working
    > fine, i'm pretty sure if i put this drive in that computer the noise would
    > cease

    Of course, you don't know for sure until you try that. But *change that
    cable first*. If that doesn't do the trick, I'd be thinkin that you got a
    bum drive. You've swapped out everything else. A bad cable can cause lots of
    weird problems. Given your earlier experience with plugging and unplugging
    the cable, which according to you, seemed to help for awhile, I'm shocked
    that you didn't try replacing that right away.

    Thor, Nov 11, 2003
  8. Isildur

    Isildur Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Isildur" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > > > The drive is under warranty. Just send it back and get a new one. As I
    > > > mentioned before, it's _entirely_ possible to get a bad hard drive

    right
    > > out
    > > > of the box. It's happened to me more than a few times.

    > > If that's so, why is the original hard drive that did this, now working
    > > fine, i'm pretty sure if i put this drive in that computer the noise

    would
    > > cease

    > Of course, you don't know for sure until you try that. But *change that
    > cable first*. If that doesn't do the trick, I'd be thinkin that you got a
    > bum drive. You've swapped out everything else. A bad cable can cause lots

    of
    > weird problems. Given your earlier experience with plugging and unplugging
    > the cable, which according to you, seemed to help for awhile, I'm shocked
    > that you didn't try replacing that right away.

    Well i can only wait and see now i guess

    Isildur, Nov 11, 2003