Re: To frag or not to frag

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Nov 27, 2009.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
    > A friend says she was told never to defrag a machine. I've never heard
    > a bad frag.

    Defrag reduces lifetime of ssd. That would be considered 'bad'. Defrag
    would be pretty much a waste of time in some situations; that would
    certainly be considered something less than good.

    > Does anyone know anything about frag/de-frag? Thank you.

    The various answer/s would depend on what kind of operating system is
    using what kind of filesystem on what kind of a storage, hdd, ssd and
    the status of partitions and how the defrag were being admin/ed.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 27, 2009

  2. Mike Easter

    iL_weReo Guest

    On Nov 27, 3:58 pm, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
    > > A friend says she was told never to defrag a machine. I've never heard
    > > a bad frag.

    > Defrag reduces lifetime of ssd.  That would be considered 'bad'.  Defrag
    > would be pretty much a waste of time in some situations;  that would
    > certainly be considered something less than good.
    >
    > > Does anyone know anything about frag/de-frag? Thank you.

    > The various answer/s would depend on what kind of operating system is
    > using what kind of filesystem on what kind of a storage, hdd, ssd and
    > the status of partitions and how the defrag were being admin/ed.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    G-d only knows. Thank you Mike as always.
    iL_weReo, Nov 27, 2009

  3. Mike Easter

    alan Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
    >> A friend says she was told never to defrag a machine. I've never heard
    >> a bad frag.

    > Defrag reduces lifetime of ssd. That would be considered 'bad'. Defrag
    > would be pretty much a waste of time in some situations; that would
    > certainly be considered something less than good.
    >
    >> Does anyone know anything about frag/de-frag? Thank you.

    > The various answer/s would depend on what kind of operating system is
    > using what kind of filesystem on what kind of a storage, hdd, ssd and
    > the status of partitions and how the defrag were being admin/ed.

    Does that mean that since I have hdd instead of ssd, degragging would not
    necessarily be a potentially bad thing? (XPpro-SP3, NTFS file system, no
    partitions, using standard Windows XP defrag)
    alan, Nov 27, 2009
  4. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    alan wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> The various answer/s would depend on what kind of operating system is
    >> using what kind of filesystem on what kind of a storage, hdd, ssd and
    >> the status of partitions and how the defrag were being admin/ed.
    >>

    > Does that mean that since I have hdd instead of ssd, degragging would
    > not necessarily be a potentially bad thing? (XPpro-SP3, NTFS file
    > system, no partitions, using standard Windows XP defrag)

    NTFS is less prone to fragmentation than previous win FS/es.
    Partitioning (which you don't have) would reduce your tendency toward
    fragmentation. XP's included defragger has some limitations including
    areas that are not defragged. The Diskeeper company which makes the
    free basic version included with XP also makes a payware version which
    has more functionality; as do some other defraggers which are freeware.

    kb 227463 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/227463 Disk Defragmenter
    Limitations in Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 27, 2009
  5. Mike Easter

    Guest

    "alan" <> wrote:

    >> Defrag reduces lifetime of ssd.

    Heck just writing and delteing on a ssd (Solid State Drive), is
    detrimental to it's lifetime.

    >Does that mean that since I have hdd instead of ssd, degragging would not
    >necessarily be a potentially bad thing? (XPpro-SP3, NTFS file system, no
    >partitions, using standard Windows XP defrag)

    Speaking for myself, prior to windows I'd of said yes, as your Drive
    head pivot can only last so long, Or just the plain fact your wearing
    out your HD.

    Since windows I've seen that proven wrong.

    A drive under windows never stops accessing itself, be it screwing
    with the pagefile, writing what you've just done to multiple areas, or
    writing to log files, I counted 22 (logs) as just being accessed just
    now - wanted to make sure, I recounted and it jumped to 27. While most
    of these log files are the same (registry files) they are still being
    written to mulitply times, anytime you do anything.

    Defragging a drive isn't doing anything it isn't already doing; That
    moving the heads back and forth reading and writing data.

    But I rarely defrag a drive unless I've deleted a massive amount of
    files or going to install a large amount of files (game with 5 cd's).

    --

    http://www.motifake.com/70s-humor-7...ynde-rose-ma-demotivational-poster-78699.html
    or