Re: TNT gets "Alias" reruns

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by The Ghost of Grandpa Hole, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. (David) wrote:

    >On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 15:37:23 GMT, MJB
    ><> wrote:


    >>Interesting, they don't even mention the
    >>impact of releasing the show on DVD.
    >>Why tune into TNT to watch the show
    >>when I can watch it when I want, and so
    >>can my friends by borrowing the disks
    >>from me.....


    >That's one reason why I haven't turned on
    >TNT since they canceled "Crusade" before
    >it had even aired an episode, why tune in
    >for reruns I can see anytime....


    >I don't think the DVDs have that much
    >impact. A successful season set of "Alias"
    >probably only sells 500,000 or a million
    >copies, and this is worldwide. There's still
    >a huge potential audience available,
    >otherwise "The Simpsons" and "Seinfeld"
    >wouldn't be making billions in syndication
    >deals.


    Buying DVD perhaps, but what about rentals? I know several people that
    only watch certain shows as rentals of DVDs (24, The Sopranos, Alias,
    etc..) I've even started doing it with some shows now that I have
    Netflix. And with the more popular shows like "The Sopranos" Alias" and
    "24" you can even rent the shows on DVD from the large chains like
    Blockbuster, and Hollywood. I'd like to see the numbers on rentals of
    shows on DVD, I bet its higher than most people think, sure there might
    only be 500,000 in sales, but how many of them are sales to retailers
    for rentals, and how many more people will see them this way, but the
    number of sales won't be affected?
    The Ghost of Grandpa Hole, Mar 2, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    David Guest

    On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 17:19:12 -0500 (EST), (The
    Ghost of Grandpa Hole) wrote:

    >Buying DVD perhaps, but what about rentals? I know several people that
    >only watch certain shows as rentals of DVDs (24, The Sopranos, Alias,
    >etc..) I've even started doing it with some shows now that I have
    >Netflix. And with the more popular shows like "The Sopranos" Alias" and
    >"24" you can even rent the shows on DVD from the large chains like
    >Blockbuster, and Hollywood. I'd like to see the numbers on rentals of
    >shows on DVD, I bet its higher than most people think, sure there might
    >only be 500,000 in sales, but how many of them are sales to retailers
    >for rentals, and how many more people will see them this way, but the
    >number of sales won't be affected?


    You have to figure if DVDs were that big a threat the television
    industry would be worried and yet a few weeks ago "Seinfeld" signed
    another billion-dollar deal despite his DVD coming out in a few
    months, so there must not be any concern about it taking away a
    substantial number of viewers.

    Likewise all the sci-fi shows like "Stargate" and "Mutant X" are being
    bought up on DVD by a small, loyal audience and these shows' tv
    audiences aren't that big to begin with but Sci-Fi and the local
    stations still manage to do well with syndicated shows.

    I would think that DVDs are bought or rented mainly by the most
    devoted fans and these are the people who'll watch the same episodes
    over and over wherever they're shown, so DVDs only complement the tv
    airings but don't actually steal away any viewers.
    David, Mar 2, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Silly 1 Guest

    (David) wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 17:19:12 -0500 (EST), (The
    > Ghost of Grandpa Hole) wrote:
    >
    > >Buying DVD perhaps, but what about rentals? I know several people that
    > >only watch certain shows as rentals of DVDs (24, The Sopranos, Alias,
    > >etc..) I've even started doing it with some shows now that I have
    > >Netflix. And with the more popular shows like "The Sopranos" Alias" and
    > >"24" you can even rent the shows on DVD from the large chains like
    > >Blockbuster, and Hollywood. I'd like to see the numbers on rentals of
    > >shows on DVD, I bet its higher than most people think, sure there might
    > >only be 500,000 in sales, but how many of them are sales to retailers
    > >for rentals, and how many more people will see them this way, but the
    > >number of sales won't be affected?

    >
    > You have to figure if DVDs were that big a threat the television
    > industry would be worried and yet a few weeks ago "Seinfeld" signed
    > another billion-dollar deal despite his DVD coming out in a few
    > months, so there must not be any concern about it taking away a
    > substantial number of viewers.
    >
    > Likewise all the sci-fi shows like "Stargate" and "Mutant X" are being
    > bought up on DVD by a small, loyal audience and these shows' tv
    > audiences aren't that big to begin with but Sci-Fi and the local
    > stations still manage to do well with syndicated shows.
    >
    > I would think that DVDs are bought or rented mainly by the most
    > devoted fans and these are the people who'll watch the same episodes
    > over and over wherever they're shown, so DVDs only complement the tv
    > airings but don't actually steal away any viewers.


    Yeah, well, whatever the case, "Alias" is still stupid. It's so
    strained and convoluted, and more convoluted than a bag of pretzels
    linked together.
    Silly 1, Mar 3, 2004
    #3
  4. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    jayembee Guest

    (David) wrote:

    > You have to figure if DVDs were that big a threat the
    > television industry would be worried and yet a few weeks
    > ago "Seinfeld" signed another billion-dollar deal despite
    > his DVD coming out in a few months, so there must not be
    > any concern about it taking away a substantial number of
    > viewers.


    > Likewise all the sci-fi shows like "Stargate" and "Mutant
    > X" are being bought up on DVD by a small, loyal audience
    > and these shows' tv audiences aren't that big to begin
    > with but Sci-Fi and the local stations still manage to do
    > well with syndicated shows.
    >
    > I would think that DVDs are bought or rented mainly by the
    > most devoted fans and these are the people who'll watch the
    > same episodes over and over wherever they're shown, so DVDs
    > only complement the tv airings but don't actually steal
    > away any viewers.


    Well, there's a couple of things to consider here.

    First, it's been widely accepted (whether right or wrong) that
    video is a competitor to syndication. It's one of the reasons
    why TV series on video never made it big in the US, whereas
    it's par for the course in, say, the UK. We have a big syndie
    market, they don't.

    Granted, some of the thinking is that no one would buy a series
    on video because it's available for "free" in syndication, but
    it's also likely that it was felt that a video release would
    impact syndication viewership.

    Secondly, does it really matter whether it *would* impact
    syndication viewership? The fact remains that TNT was able to
    get the rights to ALIAS cheap, and it's quite possible (even
    likely) that in their negotiations, they cited the existence
    of the DVD sets as a factor.

    Has everyone conveniently forgotten how FX got the BUFFY DVD
    releases delayed for a year because they insisted that it
    would impact their syndication viewer numbers?

    Hell, I predicted this was going to happen. No, I'm not going
    to take credit for citing what was blindingly obvious, but
    in early discussions of TV-on-DVD, I suggested that the studios
    were going to move to a model whereby they'd be willing to
    accept less long-term syndication money in exchange for the
    short-term profits of DVD sales.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Mar 3, 2004
    #4
  5. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Shadowspawn Guest

    On 2 Mar 2004 21:05:50 -0800, (Silly 1)
    wrote:

    > (David) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 17:19:12 -0500 (EST), (The
    >> Ghost of Grandpa Hole) wrote:
    >>
    >> >Buying DVD perhaps, but what about rentals? I know several people that
    >> >only watch certain shows as rentals of DVDs (24, The Sopranos, Alias,
    >> >etc..) I've even started doing it with some shows now that I have
    >> >Netflix. And with the more popular shows like "The Sopranos" Alias" and
    >> >"24" you can even rent the shows on DVD from the large chains like
    >> >Blockbuster, and Hollywood. I'd like to see the numbers on rentals of
    >> >shows on DVD, I bet its higher than most people think, sure there might
    >> >only be 500,000 in sales, but how many of them are sales to retailers
    >> >for rentals, and how many more people will see them this way, but the
    >> >number of sales won't be affected?

    >>
    >> You have to figure if DVDs were that big a threat the television
    >> industry would be worried and yet a few weeks ago "Seinfeld" signed
    >> another billion-dollar deal despite his DVD coming out in a few
    >> months, so there must not be any concern about it taking away a
    >> substantial number of viewers.
    >>
    >> Likewise all the sci-fi shows like "Stargate" and "Mutant X" are being
    >> bought up on DVD by a small, loyal audience and these shows' tv
    >> audiences aren't that big to begin with but Sci-Fi and the local
    >> stations still manage to do well with syndicated shows.
    >>
    >> I would think that DVDs are bought or rented mainly by the most
    >> devoted fans and these are the people who'll watch the same episodes
    >> over and over wherever they're shown, so DVDs only complement the tv
    >> airings but don't actually steal away any viewers.

    >
    >Yeah, well, whatever the case, "Alias" is still stupid. It's so
    >strained and convoluted, and more convoluted than a bag of pretzels
    >linked together.


    Alias is probably one of the Top 3 shows on free tv. The writing is
    excellent as is the presentation. Every episode is like a Bond movie
    only more fast-paced and the visual style is great. I just finished
    season 1 and am starting season 2 this weekend. Can't wait for third
    season to release.
    Shadowspawn, Mar 3, 2004
    #5
  6. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Justin Guest

    jayembee wrote on [3 Mar 2004 09:54:17 -0800]:
    > Secondly, does it really matter whether it *would* impact
    > syndication viewership? The fact remains that TNT was able to
    > get the rights to ALIAS cheap, and it's quite possible (even
    > likely) that in their negotiations, they cited the existence
    > of the DVD sets as a factor.


    Does Alias even have enough episodes for a "regular" syndication? Are
    they at season 5 yet? Or is it 100 episodes is the magic number?

    > Has everyone conveniently forgotten how FX got the BUFFY DVD
    > releases delayed for a year because they insisted that it
    > would impact their syndication viewer numbers?


    Nope. Not forgotten. Although it seems that plenty of people still watch
    the FX version and bitch about all the chops

    > Hell, I predicted this was going to happen. No, I'm not going
    > to take credit for citing what was blindingly obvious, but
    > in early discussions of TV-on-DVD, I suggested that the studios
    > were going to move to a model whereby they'd be willing to
    > accept less long-term syndication money in exchange for the
    > short-term profits of DVD sales.


    There will more than likelly be people happy to watch syndicated
    versions of shows, and not the DVDs. For example, we often stop on a
    syndicated episode of Buffy, or Angel, or Trek, or whatever. Even though
    we have most Buffy and Angel.
    Justin, Mar 3, 2004
    #6
  7. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    David Guest

    On 3 Mar 2004 09:54:17 -0800, (jayembee)
    wrote:

    >First, it's been widely accepted (whether right or wrong) that
    >video is a competitor to syndication. It's one of the reasons
    >why TV series on video never made it big in the US, whereas
    >it's par for the course in, say, the UK. We have a big syndie
    >market, they don't.


    But how successful could a tv show released on video be since you
    aren't likely to get more than 2-4 episodes per video and so to get a
    complete season set you may end up spending $100+ dollars. There also
    wouldn't be any extras included.

    >Secondly, does it really matter whether it *would* impact
    >syndication viewership?


    From ABC's perspective it doesn't matter but from the syndicated
    channels' perspectives yes. So why would they collectively spend
    billions on "Seinfeld" or "The Simpsons" if both are now or will be
    soon available on DVD?

    One thing that gets overlooked is that while DVDs are popular they're
    only popular relatively speaking. I don't know what is considered a
    hit release but I wouldn't think it'd be more than a million or maybe
    500,000 or maybe even as few as 200,000 copies which of course
    includes worldwide sales as well. Likewise, Netflix is successful but
    again only relatively speaking.

    And a casual viewer isn't likely to but a DVD set or rent it from
    Netflix or Blockbuster since it'll have to be returned in a few days
    and you'd have to devote 22 hours + however many more for extras to
    view it. So I would think DVDs are being bought mainly by the most
    devoted fans and these people are likely to watch the reruns as well
    because they like the show enough to watch it whenever it's on, much
    like how if a person has a favorite movie on DVD and yet still stops
    to watch if he comes across it on a commercial network.

    As for why TNT got "Alias" so inexpensively, DVDs may have had
    something to do with it but there are many other credible reasons. The
    show isn't too popular plus it's serialistic and does poorly in
    reruns.
    David, Mar 3, 2004
    #7
  8. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    David Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:35:43 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    >jayembee wrote on [3 Mar 2004 09:54:17 -0800]:
    >> Secondly, does it really matter whether it *would* impact
    >> syndication viewership? The fact remains that TNT was able to
    >> get the rights to ALIAS cheap, and it's quite possible (even
    >> likely) that in their negotiations, they cited the existence
    >> of the DVD sets as a factor.

    >
    >Does Alias even have enough episodes for a "regular" syndication? Are
    >they at season 5 yet? Or is it 100 episodes is the magic number?


    The magic number is about 80 episodes now and "Alias" should have 88
    when TNT starts airing it.
    David, Mar 3, 2004
    #8
  9. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <2go.com>,
    Justin <> wrote:

    > Nope. Not forgotten. Although it seems that plenty of people still watch
    > the FX version and bitch about all the chops


    A lot of people are just really cheap. They'd prefer to watch an edited,
    commercial infested FX broadcast despite the fact they could run down to
    their nearest Walmart or Best Buy and pick up a season of Buffy for 50
    bucks. It doesn't matter how bad something is, if it's free, they'll
    gladly take it.

    > There will more than likelly be people happy to watch syndicated
    > versions of shows, and not the DVDs. For example, we often stop on a
    > syndicated episode of Buffy, or Angel, or Trek, or whatever. Even though
    > we have most Buffy and Angel.


    I'll keep Buffy or Angel on in the background if I happen to be a near
    the tv when FX or TNT is airing the show. But I'll never sit down and
    watch an entire episode like that. I'd much rather watch my unedited,
    commercial free DVD's where I can watch them at any hour I like and
    watch whatever episode(S) I want to.

    As much as I hate to say it, in some ways I'd prefer the networks start
    skipping syndication and just do DVD season sets instead. The market is
    so big for it now that it would likely be profitable for the majority of
    shows.
    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Mar 3, 2004
    #9
  10. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Justin Guest

    Black Locust wrote on [Wed, 03 Mar 2004 14:13:38 -0600]:
    > In article <2go.com>,
    > Justin <> wrote:
    >
    > A lot of people are just really cheap. They'd prefer to watch an edited,
    > commercial infested FX broadcast despite the fact they could run down to
    > their nearest Walmart or Best Buy and pick up a season of Buffy for 50
    > bucks. It doesn't matter how bad something is, if it's free, they'll
    > gladly take it.


    That is also true.

    > As much as I hate to say it, in some ways I'd prefer the networks start
    > skipping syndication and just do DVD season sets instead. The market is
    > so big for it now that it would likely be profitable for the majority of
    > shows.


    I dunno about that, if they stopped syndication what would be on local
    channels between the hours of 11pm and 6pm aside from the odd news
    program and traffic update?
    Justin, Mar 3, 2004
    #10
  11. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    jayembee Guest

    (David) wrote:

    > Justin <> wrote:
    >
    >> Does Alias even have enough episodes for a "regular"
    >> syndication? Are they at season 5 yet? Or is it 100
    >> episodes is the magic number?

    >
    > The magic number is about 80 episodes now and "Alias"
    > should have 88 when TNT starts airing it.


    The magic number has traditionally been 65 episodes --
    enough to strip it for a 13-week (one quarter) cycle.

    That's why syndication negotiations typically happen once
    a series is in its third season.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Mar 4, 2004
    #11
  12. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    jayembee Guest

    (David) wrote:

    > As for why TNT got "Alias" so inexpensively, DVDs may have
    > had something to do with it but there are many other credible
    > reasons.


    No one was saying any different.

    > The show isn't too popular plus it's serialistic and does
    > poorly in reruns.


    Those were the reasons given in the original article. The
    thread starting talking about DVDs because someone asked why
    the DVD releases weren't cited as a reason (not *the* reason,
    just *a* reason).

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Mar 4, 2004
    #12
  13. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    David Guest

    On 3 Mar 2004 16:14:36 -0800, (jayembee)
    wrote:

    > (David) wrote:
    >
    >> Justin <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does Alias even have enough episodes for a "regular"
    >>> syndication? Are they at season 5 yet? Or is it 100
    >>> episodes is the magic number?

    >>
    >> The magic number is about 80 episodes now and "Alias"
    >> should have 88 when TNT starts airing it.

    >
    >The magic number has traditionally been 65 episodes --
    >enough to strip it for a 13-week (one quarter) cycle.
    >
    >That's why syndication negotiations typically happen once
    >a series is in its third season.


    Yes but the actual syndication airings usually didn't start until
    after season 5. Now they start after season 4.
    David, Mar 4, 2004
    #13
  14. The Ghost of Grandpa Hole

    Justin Guest

    David wrote on [Thu, 04 Mar 2004 01:07:31 GMT]:
    > On 3 Mar 2004 16:14:36 -0800, (jayembee)
    > wrote:
    >
    >> (David) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Justin <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Does Alias even have enough episodes for a "regular"
    >>>> syndication? Are they at season 5 yet? Or is it 100
    >>>> episodes is the magic number?
    >>>
    >>> The magic number is about 80 episodes now and "Alias"
    >>> should have 88 when TNT starts airing it.

    >>
    >>The magic number has traditionally been 65 episodes --
    >>enough to strip it for a 13-week (one quarter) cycle.
    >>
    >>That's why syndication negotiations typically happen once
    >>a series is in its third season.

    >
    > Yes but the actual syndication airings usually didn't start until
    > after season 5. Now they start after season 4.


    And TV seasons seem to just be getting shorter.
    Justin, Mar 4, 2004
    #14

  15. > Yeah, well, whatever the case, "Alias" is still stupid. It's so
    > strained and convoluted, and more convoluted than a bag of pretzels
    > linked together.
    >


    You're one of those guys that missed an episode and now you don't know
    wtf is going on right? :)
    --
    ____________________
    Remove "X" from email address to reply.
    Chris Phillipo, Mar 5, 2004
    #15

  16. > industry would be worried and yet a few weeks ago "Seinfeld" signed
    > another billion-dollar deal despite his DVD coming out in a few
    > months, so there must not be any concern about it taking away a
    > substantial number of viewers.
    >
    > Likewise all the sci-fi shows like "Stargate" and "Mutant X" are being
    > bought up on DVD by a small, loyal audience and these shows' tv
    > audiences aren't that big to begin with but Sci-Fi and the local
    > stations still manage to do well with syndicated shows.
    >
    > I would think that DVDs are bought or rented mainly by the most
    > devoted fans and these are the people who'll watch the same episodes
    > over and over wherever they're shown, so DVDs only complement the tv
    > airings but don't actually steal away any viewers.
    >



    A number of TV shows are set to make more money in sales as DVD sets
    than they ever did in their short run on TV. Firefly will likely be one
    of these. "The Family Guy" is already pulling in millions. And they
    are not a "threat" to television, they are a cash cow to studios which
    want to produce the next TV show and then DVD set to be a top seller.

    --
    ____________________
    Remove "X" from email address to reply.
    Chris Phillipo, Mar 5, 2004
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Glenn

    Increasing alias on 6509

    Glenn, Dec 5, 2003, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    357
    Glenn
    Dec 5, 2003
  2. Guest

    tnt spec.

    Guest, Sep 7, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    555
  3. Rustam Abdullaev

    Lucent TNT enet question

    Rustam Abdullaev, Jun 10, 2004, in forum: VOIP
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    437
    Rustam Abdullaev
    Jun 10, 2004
  4. Matteo
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    609
    Matteo
    Sep 13, 2005
  5. niljaviya
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    914
    niljaviya
    Nov 3, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page