Re: TIF files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gary G. Taylor, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. PS wrote:

    > I had been considering freeware that creates PDF files but someone
    > suggested TIF files may be better.
    >
    > What are your opinions? and, any freeware available to create TIF files
    > from MS WORD or EXCEL documents?
    >
    > Thanks for guidance.
    >
    > PS

    The two file formats are different from each other and have nothing to do
    with each other. A .pdf file (Portable Document Format, a proprietary
    format owned by Adobe Systems) is a "composite" format which describes the
    placement of text and images in a file and must have Adobe's Acrobat Reader
    to interpret it. A .tif file is a straight (usually uncompressed) raster
    graphic picture file.

    ..pdf files can be converted from various media using a free conversion tool
    on Adobe's website. Alternatively, there are any number of tools which will
    convert files into .pdf format, some paid-for and some free.

    What do you want to use the final file for? Post that and someone will be
    able to advise you further.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > PS wrote:
    >

    >> I had been considering freeware that creates PDF files but someone
    >> suggested TIF files may be better.
    >>
    >> What are your opinions? and, any freeware available to create TIF files
    >> from MS WORD or EXCEL documents?
    >>
    >> Thanks for guidance.
    >>
    >> PS
    >>

    > The two file formats are different from each other and have nothing to do
    > with each other. A .pdf file (Portable Document Format, a proprietary
    > format owned by Adobe Systems) is a "composite" format which describes the
    > placement of text and images in a file and must have Adobe's Acrobat
    > Reader to interpret it. A .tif file is a straight (usually uncompressed)
    > raster graphic picture file.
    >
    > .pdf files can be converted from various media using a free conversion
    > tool on Adobe's website. Alternatively, there are any number of tools
    > which will convert files into .pdf format, some paid-for and some free.
    >
    > What do you want to use the final file for? Post that and someone will be
    > able to advise you further.

    Oh yes, something else. .tif files are HUGE since they are uncompressed.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Gary G. Taylor

    Connie Guest

    "Gary G. Taylor" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >Oh yes, something else. .tif files are HUGE since they are uncompressed.

    Actually, the TIFF-format supports LZW-compression. Depending on which kind
    of graphics is in the file, it can be quite small...

    Connie, Aug 21, 2003