Re: Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Ralph Fox, Apr 19, 2009.

  1. Ralph Fox

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 23:21:56 -0400, in message news:
    Van Chocstraw wrote:

    > Why isn't there a save my place feature for large volume mp3 usenet
    > groups.

    You can 'star' the message to save your place.

    > The next day I waste time trying to find where I left off yesterday.

    At present, how much time does it take you to find where you
    left off? Tell us what you actually do to find where you left
    off, and maybe we can find some improvements.

    IMO using Thunderbird for large volume binary newsgroups
    is, for other reasons, an exercise in masochism.

    Ralph Fox, Apr 19, 2009

  2. Ralph Fox

    sticks Guest

    Van Chocstraw wrote:
    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    >> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 23:21:56 -0400, in message
    >> Van Chocstraw wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why isn't there a save my place feature for large volume mp3 usenet
    >>> groups.

    >> You can 'star' the message to save your place.
    >>

    >>> The next day I waste time trying to find where I left off yesterday.

    >> At present, how much time does it take you to find where you
    >> left off? Tell us what you actually do to find where you left
    >> off, and maybe we can find some improvements.
    >>

    >> IMO using Thunderbird for large volume binary newsgroups
    >> is, for other reasons, an exercise in masochism.
    >>

    > I scroll down through the list of headers and observe where the
    > occasional read articles in light print end. If I happen to remember
    > that the scroll bar was half way down last time I can jump to that area.
    > I don't know why the session can't save my place and go back there when
    > I restart the program. Many programs do this.

    Highlight the top article.
    Hold down the shift key and click on the last article you've looked at.
    This should highlight all the articles to that point.

    Right click on the last one highlighted and click "mark..as Read"

    You probably will have to do this part twice since the first time you do
    it they will all be changed to unread if any in the group are already
    unread, then read the second time.

    Next time you open the group, if you have it set up to only display
    unread messages, none of the ones you've looked over will appear.

    sticks, Apr 20, 2009