Re: Thunderbird Attachment Problem

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 5, 2008.

  1. Nigel Stapley wrote:
    > In the last few weeks, I've found that I'm having trouble sending
    > attachments.
    >
    > When I try to, the progress bar will go part of the way and then stop.
    > The router TX light stops flashing (indicating that no data is being
    > transferred) then after a few more moments, the following message appears:
    >
    > "Sending of message failed. The message could not be sent because
    > connecting to SMTP server relay.plus.net failed. The server may be
    > unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your
    > SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your
    > network administrator"
    >
    > This is what I've done to try to sort it out:
    >
    > Updated Thunderbird to latest version.
    >
    > Set AV (Avast! - fully updated) not to scan outgoing e-mails. All this
    > does is that the progress bar seems to stop in a different place.
    >
    > Disabled Avast! whilst trying to send. Ditto.
    >
    > Changed my SMTP settings to a different port and then back again to Port
    > 25.
    >
    > Changed my SMTP settings to SSL on Port 465.
    >
    > Changed my SMTP settings back to a non-secure connection on Port 25.
    >
    > Checked my router settings (SMTP allowed by the firewall - if it
    > weren't, I probably wouldn't be able to send e-mails at all). I don't
    > use the Windows firewall.
    >
    > Increased my router's MTU to 1500.
    >
    > Increased mailnews.tcptimeout from the default of 60 to 600.
    >
    > Set up a new profile on this machine.
    >
    > I can send the 'failed' attachments fine via my ISP's Webmail, and my
    > ISP's SMTP server has a 100MB limit on attachment sizes. This problem is
    > occurring with attachments as small as 300KB, but is not occurring every
    > time. For example, on 16 July I sent an > 800KB .jpg without a problem.
    >
    > (I tried variations on the e-mail I was having trouble sending - 9
    > .jpgs, total size 387KB - and found that an e-mail with up to 6 of the
    > .jpgs (total 235KB) succeeded, whereas the one with 7 (total 324KB) failed)
    >
    > I have exactly the same problem on my other machine which is running a
    > one-year-old version of TBird. On that machine, the e-mail sends fine
    > using Outlook 2000.
    >
    > Any thoughts at all?
    >
    > TIA

    try the firewall. Sometimes, certain firewalls can
    affect this. Also, what else have you got running in
    the background that could affect this, and what
    extensions do you have installed?

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 5, 2008

  2. Nigel Stapley wrote:
    > Firewall is in the router and is set always to allow SMTP traffic via
    > Port 25. Besides, it doesn't account for the fact that I can send the
    > e-mail fine via O2K, whereas TBird gives the problem with two different
    > installations of two different versions on two different machines.

    sure it can. I've seen it where all the programs work
    fine, but when TB was used, the monitor did weird
    things. We upgraded the monitor drivers and things
    worked.

    I've seen it where the mouse worked for all the
    programs, but when Firefox was used, it wouldn't work.
    When we upgraded the mouse drivers, things worked.

    Here's another one: my number row on the keyboard
    stopped working for me in SeaMonkey. It works for all
    other programs, but not SM. I switched keyboards. Now
    the number row works, but not the ctrl key. Again,
    only in SM. I got another one. This time, everything
    worked.

    When you installed TB, did you also install the
    Developers Tools? If you don't know, then click on
    Tools and do you see Error Console? If so, then open
    that up, clear it, send out a message, and see what
    messages you get.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 6, 2008

  3. Nigel Stapley wrote:
    > Nigel Stapley wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>
    >>> sure it can. I've seen it where all the programs work fine, but when
    >>> TB was used, the monitor did weird things. We upgraded the monitor
    >>> drivers and things worked.
    >>>
    >>> I've seen it where the mouse worked for all the programs, but when
    >>> Firefox was used, it wouldn't work. When we upgraded the mouse
    >>> drivers, things worked.
    >>>
    >>> Here's another one: my number row on the keyboard stopped working for
    >>> me in SeaMonkey. It works for all other programs, but not SM. I
    >>> switched keyboards. Now the number row works, but not the ctrl key.
    >>> Again, only in SM. I got another one. This time, everything worked.
    >>>
    >>> When you installed TB, did you also install the Developers Tools? If
    >>> you don't know, then click on Tools and do you see Error Console? If
    >>> so, then open that up, clear it, send out a message, and see what
    >>> messages you get.
    >>>

    >> There was nothing in the error console, but I cleared it anyway then
    >> tried sending the e-mail again.
    >>
    >> It failed again, but the error console is empty.
    >>

    > Further info: I thought I was running the latest version on this
    > machine, but I seems I wasn't. I installed 2.0.0.16.
    >
    > The problem persists, however...

    In your first posting, you said you got the message
    that it couldn't connect to the smtp server. Have you
    checked with your email provider and asked them what
    the correct settings should be?

    Cause, I'm outta answers. You've done everything
    possible -- turned off virus checker, created a test
    profile.

    Otherwise, go and talk to the helpers on the offical TB
    support newsgroup of mozilla.support.thunderbird which
    is on the news.mozilla.org server

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 7, 2008