Re: Throwaway DVD Question

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mischa van Dinter, Aug 31, 2003.

  1. On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 09:26:12 -0700, "Charles Tomaras"
    <> wrote:

    >"Joey Jolley" <> wrote in message
    >> Are these new one-viewing, throwaway DVDs going to replace regular
    >> DVDs? What are the chances of this happening?

    >They won't replace them because many of us buy DVD's and don't rent. I can see a
    >nice niche for the disposable products in the travel industry at airports and
    >near hotels and motels for people who don't want to deal with returns.
    >
    >Quite frankly I don't understand what all the fuss is over it. These companies
    >should be able to market their products in any fashion they see fit. If you
    >don't like there are many other alternatives. I see this as giving us more
    >choice and not hampering us in any way.

    Except of course that thousends of these things will end up in our
    environment. And what do we know about the chemicals they use to make
    the DVD rot?

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Mischa van Dinter

    Impmon Guest

    AOL CDs

    >You should be more worried about the millions of AOL
    >discs that are foisted on us without even being asked for or purchased.

    Funny you mentioned that, I know of a web site that is collecting AOL
    CD: http://www.nomoreaolcds.com/

    Their goal is to collect 1 million, then they will all be drivin to AOL
    in broad daylight with media coverage. Lst I checked, they have just a
    bit more than 200K and even Post Office is sending them rejected CDs.
    --
    All viruses and spams are automatically removed by my ISP before
    reaching my inbox.

    Impmon, Sep 1, 2003

  3. On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 10:57:17 -0700, "Charles Tomaras"
    <> wrote:

    >Let's also not forget the gas being saved by people not having to drive to
    >return them. If you have environmental concerns whey don't you do some research
    >and not just spew out unfounded FUD. Given all of the crap in our environment I
    >find it laughable that one would imagine a few hundred thousand plastic discs
    >are gonna be a big concern. You should be more worried about the millions of AOL
    >discs that are foisted on us without even being asked for or purchased. For the
    >record, the degrading DVD discs are recyclable.

    Just because there are other problems too does not make this harmless.
    So the discs are recyclable. Who's recycling them? Is there a big bin
    near the videostore that says "return discs here"? No, because these
    things exist so you do NOT have to return them anywhere. So they are
    going to be thrown away with the rest of the garbage, and no-one is
    going to sort through that to fish them out.

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Sep 1, 2003
  4. "Mischa van Dinter" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 10:57:17 -0700, "Charles Tomaras"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Let's also not forget the gas being saved by people not having to drive to
    > >return them. If you have environmental concerns whey don't you do some

    research
    > >and not just spew out unfounded FUD. Given all of the crap in our environment

    > >find it laughable that one would imagine a few hundred thousand plastic discs
    > >are gonna be a big concern. You should be more worried about the millions of

    AOL
    > >discs that are foisted on us without even being asked for or purchased. For

    the
    > >record, the degrading DVD discs are recyclable.
    > >

    > Just because there are other problems too does not make this harmless.
    > So the discs are recyclable. Who's recycling them? Is there a big bin
    > near the videostore that says "return discs here"? No, because these
    > things exist so you do NOT have to return them anywhere. So they are
    > going to be thrown away with the rest of the garbage, and no-one is
    > going to sort through that to fish them out.

    If I ever buy one I will put it in my recycle bin with the rest of my plastic I
    recycle every week. Shouldn't be much different than a pop can or the newspaper.

    Charles Tomaras, Sep 2, 2003
  5. Mischa van Dinter

    keved Guest

    >> Just because there are other problems too does not make this harmless.
    >> So the discs are recyclable. Who's recycling them? Is there a big bin
    >> near the videostore that says "return discs here"? No, because these
    >> things exist so you do NOT have to return them anywhere. So they are
    >> going to be thrown away with the rest of the garbage, and no-one is
    >> going to sort through that to fish them out.

    > If I ever buy one I will put it in my recycle bin with the rest of my plastic
    > recycle every week. Shouldn't be much different than a pop can or the
    > newspaper.

    Please don't do this. DVDs and CDs of any type are *not* supposed to go
    into plastic recycling bins.

    keved, Sep 2, 2003
  6. On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 21:30:27 -0700, "Charles Tomaras"
    <> wrote:

    >If I ever buy one I will put it in my recycle bin with the rest of my plastic I
    >recycle every week. Shouldn't be much different than a pop can or the newspaper.

    DVDs are NOT just plastic, and of course you shouldn't do it when you
    know for a fact that these things are chemically treated as well!

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Sep 2, 2003