Re: Thoughts Re: CISSP Online Course

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Consultant, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. Consultant

    Consultant Guest

    sounds good.
    you guys have this as a physical class too? i attended sierra back in 92

    "Steve Linthicum" <> wrote in message
    > I'm attempting to ascertain whether there is a need for CISSP training at
    > our community college in an online format. Before I get hammered for
    > spamming the newsgroup, let me explain that I'm directing this email to
    > California residents only. The reason is that as residents they take
    > courses at our State community college for $18 an academic unit. Not
    > exactly a commercial venture at this cost.
    >

    > I am currently teaching the course in a classroom setting. My thought for
    > an online version is where students would be required to complete
    > assignments over a ten week period. Basically the focus would be one week
    > for each domain. I would likely structure the course for 3 academic units
    > and apply to our curriculum committee seeking CSU system transferability

    for

    Consultant, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Yes, our primary offerings are instructor led classes. The focus has been
    MCSE related certification courses. We teach them at the Roseville-Gateway
    site (old Sutter-Roseville Hospital site). Pretty much the only ball game
    in town, killing off the Heald College and MTI College with our $11 per unit
    cost (raised last week to $18 because of the budget crisis). I've tried the
    last couple of semesters to teach the courses online. I'm not as fond of
    teaching online, but it seems to work well now that I have an Internet
    accessible lab set up. Students can access it over the Internet and do a
    number of labs. I have the lab computers automatically re-imaging
    themselves every 24 hours.

    FYI, the CISSP instructor led version of the class starts 10/18 (on
    Saturdays). ISSA'S Sacramento chapter is also running CISSP classes. I'm
    sure they do a good job, but the Chapter charges $850 for non-members, $650
    for members (www.issa-sac.org). It is almost unfair for us to charge only
    $54 for the same class, although I believe the fee for the ISSA class
    includes books. Oh well. As I tell my students, you are really paying more
    than $18 a unit. Just look at the difference between your gross pay and net
    pay. Only difference is that you are getting a direct benefit from the
    taxes you pay by taking classes here at Sierra.

    Regards,

    Steve

    Steve Linthicum, Aug 22, 2003