Re: This Group slow to load headers?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Taylor, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. Dave Taylor

    Dave Taylor Guest

    (DonB) wrote in news:3f1880e2.156307668
    @news.paradise.net.nz:

    > Is this normal?
    > Does anyone know why?
    > Headers for NZ Comp always take far longer to download than any other
    > Group, at least on my machine.
    > I just received 46 headers here, which took 65 seconds.
    > Another Group took 12 seconds for 358.
    > Can anything be changed on my setup, or is this universal?
    > Thanks,
    > DonB

    I have noticed a delay, but my delay is in the inital request to the news
    server. Once the headers start flowing, it is fast. My theory is that the
    news server at my ISP does not get many requests for this group, so it has
    to pull the headers from disk.
    Dave Taylor, Jul 19, 2003

  2. Dave Taylor

    Craig Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:31:54 GMT, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    > (DonB) wrote in news:3f1880e2.156307668
    >@news.paradise.net.nz:
    >
    >> Is this normal?
    >> Does anyone know why?
    >> Headers for NZ Comp always take far longer to download than any other
    >> Group, at least on my machine.
    >> I just received 46 headers here, which took 65 seconds.
    >> Another Group took 12 seconds for 358.
    >> Can anything be changed on my setup, or is this universal?
    >> Thanks,
    >> DonB

    The nz.* groups have a longer retention time on your server (often
    several months worth of postings will be stored by your ISP), meaning
    that the "complete list of server's available messages" is much larger
    in nz.* groups and consequently takes longer to download.

    Also, check that you don't have the following enabled on your
    newsreader:

    Group -> Default Properties -> What to Purge
    [x] Always get complete list of server's available messages
    Craig, Jul 19, 2003