Re: Thinkpad T43 hdd swaps - known working ones?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sir To You, Apr 15, 2008.

  1. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    On Apr 15, 6:11 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > There are so many forum posts listing HDD's that are no longer available
    > new.
    >
    > Anyone know of a currently available 100 or more gig drive that will
    > work on one of these laptops with the stupid sata to pata bridge?

    I swapped the HDD in my t43. With the travelstar 7k100.

    http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/menuitem.72e3cabd3a6a384ccf1824a0eac4f0a0/

    You get a post message on startup that the drive is not the ibm
    supplied one, but just ignore that. Has worked fine for me, although
    100gig is too small too.
    Sir To You, Apr 15, 2008

  2. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    On Apr 16, 11:01 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > Sir To You wrote:
    > > On Apr 15, 6:11 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > >> There are so many forum posts listing HDD's that are no longer available
    > >> new.

    > >> Anyone know of a currently available 100 or more gig drive that will
    > >> work on one of these laptops with the stupid sata to pata bridge?

    > > I swapped the HDD in my t43. With the travelstar 7k100.

    > >http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/menuitem.72e3cabd3a6a384ccf1...

    > > You get a post message on startup that the drive is not the ibm
    > > supplied one, but just ignore that. Has worked fine for me, although
    > > 100gig is too small too.

    > I have a 80 gig fujitsu in there at the moment that doesnt show that
    > message, but it still has some compatibility thing with the bridge chip
    > which makes disk access slow as hell in windows.
    >
    > resuming from hibernate takes 10 seconds or so, actually hibernating
    > takes 2-3 mins of the little blue line going across, and disk access in
    > windows is shit too. USB drive is about the same speed.
    >
    > Was much faster with the old 40 gig in it but that sadly started to
    > develop amnesia as laptop hdds do after a while.

    Hmm, strange. I get none of those issues. I'm not techie, but isn't
    the bridge just a hardware interface ? As long as the drive supports
    the pata protocol then the bridge will convert it to sata.

    Anyway , i'm happy with my 7k100, it is 7200 rpm too so performance is
    better , battery life is a little less.
    Sir To You, Apr 16, 2008

  3. Sir To You

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Sir To You" typed:
    > On Apr 16, 11:01 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    >> Sir To You wrote:

    >>> I swapped the HDD in my t43. With the travelstar 7k100.

    >>> http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/menuitem.72e3cabd3a6a384ccf1...

    >>> You get a post message on startup that the drive is not the ibm
    >>> supplied one, but just ignore that. Has worked fine for me, although
    >>> 100gig is too small too.

    >> I have a 80 gig fujitsu in there at the moment that doesnt show that
    >> message, but it still has some compatibility thing with the bridge
    >> chip which makes disk access slow as hell in windows.
    >>
    >> resuming from hibernate takes 10 seconds or so, actually hibernating
    >> takes 2-3 mins of the little blue line going across, and disk access
    >> in windows is shit too. USB drive is about the same speed.
    >>
    >> Was much faster with the old 40 gig in it but that sadly started to
    >> develop amnesia as laptop hdds do after a while.

    > Hmm, strange. I get none of those issues. I'm not techie, but isn't
    > the bridge just a hardware interface ? As long as the drive supports
    > the pata protocol then the bridge will convert it to sata.

    I would think that the BIOS needs tweaking and that the HDD is falling back
    to PIO mode. Maybe if Richard (sorry to reply through this post, was
    distracted when I marked yours read) went into the BIOS, or upgraded it,
    instead of just accepting the issue, it could be resolved?

    Richard, I assume that you've checked to see if you can enable DMA for the
    drive in Windows?

    > Anyway , i'm happy with my 7k100, it is 7200 rpm too so performance is
    > better , battery life is a little less.

    Swings and roundabouts. If you can load apps etc. more quickly then you
    don't need the battery to last so long. <g> Just so long as the extra heat
    from the faster drive isn't an issue.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.