Re: Thinking of a Canon 10d, should I wait?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark M, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Mark M

    Mark M Guest

    "GAR" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    > > In message <406a6549_2@127.0.0.1>,
    > > "Ida Noe" <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Get the vertical grip that holds two batteries, if you can afford it.

    > > Does the grip use 2 batteries in parallel, or does it use one battery
    > > and then the other?

    > It uses both at the same time therefore doubling your battery life. A
    > nice feature on large photoshoots, especially those out in the field.

    Not correct, but perhaps you misunderstand his question...

    It holds two batteries at the same time, but the Canon battery grip uses
    (draws power from) only one battery at a time. It extinguishes one
    battery--independant of the other--and then switches to the other battery.

    This is why you can actually use the battery grip with only one battery
    installed in it--it draws from only one at a time.

    -Mark M
    Mark M, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Mark M

    John Navas Guest

    In <9MKac.3235$zh.1818@fed1read07> on Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:03:52 -0800, "Mark
    M" <> wrote:

    >"GAR" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:

    >> > Does the grip use 2 batteries in parallel, or does it use one battery
    >> > and then the other?

    >> It uses both at the same time therefore doubling your battery life. A
    >> nice feature on large photoshoots, especially those out in the field.

    >Not correct, but perhaps you misunderstand his question...
    >
    >It holds two batteries at the same time, but the Canon battery grip uses
    >(draws power from) only one battery at a time. It extinguishes one
    >battery--independant of the other--and then switches to the other battery.

    Are you sure?

    >This is why you can actually use the battery grip with only one battery
    >installed in it-- ...

    That would still be true with two batteries in parallel.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Mark M

    Ida Noe Guest

    Sorry, Mark, but I think you're wrong (and right).
    I can't find that darn manual when I need it.

    From what I recall; the camera draws from both batteries at the same time if
    BOTH are installed.
    Maybe there's a switch or something that lets the camera know there's two or
    one?

    But, you are correct that the grip works with ONE battery installed in
    either slot, despite the instructional graphics on the battery door of the
    grip.
    Ida Noe, Apr 1, 2004
  4. Mark M

    Mark M Guest

    "Ida Noe" <> wrote in message

    > Sorry, Mark, but I think you're wrong (and right).
    > I can't find that darn manual when I need it.

    Of course I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember reading this in the
    manual.
    It's possible I was thinking of the dual battery charger--which charges one
    battery at a time...
    I can't find the "manual" either! ...It was only a folded sheet, as I
    recall...since it's a pretty simple device...
    Mark M, Apr 1, 2004