Re: There's an app for that: NNTP news reader for Android

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich, Jul 4, 2010.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Jul 4, 9:55 am, John Navas <> wrote:
    > Groundhog Usenet Reader --
    > remarkably capable and usable even though it's free
    > Features:
    >  * International charset support
    >  * Online/Offline modes
    >  * Colors for quoting
    >  * MIME/uuencoded attachments
    >  * Threading
    >  * Starring and banning of authors & threads
    >  * Notifications
    > Recommended!

    Does the iPhone not have one? Is it something Apple can't control so
    they banned it?

    Rich, Jul 4, 2010

  2. Rich

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Rich <> wrote:

    > > Groundhog Usenet Reader --

    > Does the iPhone not have one? Is it something Apple can't control so
    > they banned it?

    the iphone has a usenet app, and contrary to your beliefs, apple
    doesn't control what people do with iphones.

    nospam, Jul 5, 2010

  3. Rich wrote:
    > On Jul 4, 9:55 am, John Navas <> wrote:
    >> Groundhog Usenet Reader --
    >> remarkably capable and usable even though it's free
    >> Features:
    >> * International charset support
    >> * Online/Offline modes
    >> * Colors for quoting
    >> * MIME/uuencoded attachments
    >> * Threading
    >> * Starring and banning of authors & threads
    >> * Notifications
    >> Recommended!

    > Does the iPhone not have one? Is it something Apple can't control so
    > they banned it?

    There's an app for that.

    --
    lsmft

    John McWilliams, Jul 5, 2010
  4. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Jul 4, 7:06 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    > Rich <> wrote:
    > > > Groundhog Usenet Reader --

    > > Does the iPhone not have one?  Is it something Apple can't control so
    > > they banned it?

    > the iphone has a usenet app, and contrary to your beliefs, apple
    > doesn't control what people do with iphones.

    Just with the iPad then?

    Rich, Jul 5, 2010
  5. Rich

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Rich <> wrote:

    > > > Does the iPhone not have one?  Is it something Apple can't control so
    > > > they banned it?

    > > the iphone has a usenet app, and contrary to your beliefs, apple
    > > doesn't control what people do with iphones.

    > Just with the iPad then?

    nope. apple doesn't control what users do with any apple product.

    nospam, Jul 5, 2010
  6. Rich

    nospam Guest

    In article <4c31255d$-privat.org>, Atheist Chaplain
    <> wrote:

    > > the iphone has a usenet app, and contrary to your beliefs, apple
    > > doesn't control what people do with iphones.

    > just what they can install :)

    nope.

    they only control is what is available on the store. companies can
    deploy apps directly to employees without going through the store and
    users can do the same to their own devices if they are so motivated.
    web apps don't go through the store at all, and can be used on any
    iphone (or other mobile device for that matter).

    and it isn't just apple. microsoft windows phone 7 will also have a
    single store and sell only approved apps. google can (and has) removed
    apps and can even install apps without the user's consent.

    nospam, Jul 5, 2010
  7. Rich

    nospam Guest

    In article <4c313dce$-privat.org>, Atheist Chaplain
    <> wrote:

    > >> just what they can install :)

    > > nope.
    > >
    > > they only control is what is available on the store. companies can
    > > deploy apps directly to employees without going through the store and
    > > users can do the same to their own devices if they are so motivated.
    > > web apps don't go through the store at all, and can be used on any
    > > iphone (or other mobile device for that matter).
    > >
    > > and it isn't just apple. microsoft windows phone 7 will also have a
    > > single store and sell only approved apps. google can (and has) removed
    > > apps and can even install apps without the user's consent.

    > you really need to read and understand the current restrictive EULA from
    > Apple :)

    i have read it.

    it seems you need to read it, and also learn about how iphone apps are
    developed and deployed.

    and you are completely ignoring microsoft, who essentially has the same
    restrictions. why is it ok for them but not apple?

    > doing ANYTHING that is not approved by them is not only leaving yourself
    > open to litigation but they can point blank refuse to service or repair your
    > shitty iPhone as well.

    nonsense. where do people come up with this stuff? open to litigation
    for what?

    yes they can refuse to repair a jailbroken phone under warranty, but
    that's no different than if you made an unauthorized modification to
    any other product. it's also possible to just restore stock firmware
    and wipe all traces of jailbrokeness.

    modify a nikon or canon camera and see how well that works out for you.
    remove the infrared cut filter and they will no longer warrant it,
    although the company that made the infrared mod might. if you did it
    yourself and something breaks, bummer.

    adjust the autofocus calibration then send it in to 'fix it' after you
    screw it up, see how well *that* works out.

    even something as minor as using a third party battery can void a
    warranty (read the agreement), although it may be impossible to
    determine unless the camera explodes with parts of the third party
    battery melted inside. canon even displayed non-canon batteries at
    trade shows to show how dangerous it could be (and to sell their
    batteries).

    > using un-approved apps on the phone is one of those restrictions, sure, you
    > may be able to install it but doing so voids your warranty and can cost you
    > big dollars in legal costs if Apple decides to be petulant, and its not like
    > they have been above that in the past.

    complete nonsense.

    there are legitimate methods of installing apps that are not submitted
    to the apps store, including remote deployment for enterprise as well
    as web apps, some of which can remain resident on the device and not
    need the web to be used.

    jailbreaking does void the warranty, but there are no legal costs
    unless you do something stupid to justify it, and jailbreaking isn't
    one of them.

    nospam, Jul 5, 2010
  8. On 2010-07-05, nospam wrote:

    >> > nope.
    >> >
    >> > they only control is what is available on the store. companies can
    >> > deploy apps directly to employees without going through the store and
    >> > users can do the same to their own devices if they are so motivated.
    >> > web apps don't go through the store at all, and can be used on any
    >> > iphone (or other mobile device for that matter).
    >> >
    >> > and it isn't just apple. microsoft windows phone 7 will also have a
    >> > single store and sell only approved apps. google can (and has) removed
    >> > apps and can even install apps without the user's consent.

    >> you really need to read and understand the current restrictive EULA from
    >> Apple :)

    > i have read it.
    >
    > it seems you need to read it, and also learn about how iphone apps are
    > developed and deployed.
    >
    > and you are completely ignoring microsoft, who essentially has the same
    > restrictions. why is it ok for them but not apple?

    It's not OK for them either; I will not use anything from either
    company.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson <http://photos.cfaj.ca>
    Author: =======================

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Jul 5, 2010
  9. Rich

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Chris F.A. Johnson
    <> wrote:

    > It's not OK for them either; I will not use anything from either
    > company.

    your loss. by doing so, you give up a significant amount of extremely
    useful software, some of which has no replacement.

    nospam, Jul 5, 2010
  10. On 2010-07-05, nospam wrote:
    > In article <>, Chris F.A. Johnson
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> It's not OK for them either; I will not use anything from either
    >> company.

    > your loss. by doing so, you give up a significant amount of extremely
    > useful software, some of which has no replacement.

    There is nothing I need or want that I cannot get for my GNU/Linux
    system.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
    Author: =======================

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Jul 5, 2010
  11. On 2010-07-05, John Navas wrote:
    > On 5 Jul 2010 04:17:31 GMT, in <>, "Chris
    > F.A. Johnson" <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2010-07-05, nospam wrote:

    >>> your loss. by doing so, you give up a significant amount of extremely
    >>> useful software, some of which has no replacement.

    >> There is nothing I need or want that I cannot get for my GNU/Linux
    >> system.

    > Then your needs must be modest indeed. ;)

    Quite the contrary. There is more choice for most software on *nix
    systems than there is for any other system, and it's higher quality
    and usually much cheaper.

    The exception, perhaps, is games, but that doesn't interest me.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
    Author: =======================

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Jul 5, 2010
  12. Rich

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Chris F.A. Johnson
    <> wrote:

    > On 2010-07-05, nospam wrote:
    > > In article <>, Chris F.A. Johnson
    > ><> wrote:
    > >
    > >> It's not OK for them either; I will not use anything from either
    > >> company.

    > > your loss. by doing so, you give up a significant amount of extremely
    > > useful software, some of which has no replacement.

    > There is nothing I need or want that I cannot get for my GNU/Linux
    > system.

    that's wonderful.

    no garmin gps software that until recently was windows only, and now is
    both mac and windows only.

    no firmware updaters for a wide variety of devices, including cameras
    and bluetooth headsets, since they're generally windows only.

    no photoshop (gimp is not equivalent), no final cut, no aperture or
    lightroom, and the list goes on.

    but if you have what you need, that's all that matters.

    nospam, Jul 5, 2010
  13. Rich

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Chris F.A. Johnson
    <> wrote:

    > >> There is nothing I need or want that I cannot get for my GNU/Linux
    > >> system.

    > > Then your needs must be modest indeed. ;)

    > Quite the contrary. There is more choice for most software on *nix
    > systems than there is for any other system, and it's higher quality
    > and usually much cheaper.

    complete utter bullshit.

    macs have the widest selection of software because they can run all
    mac, windows *and* unix software natively, simultaneously. no other
    platform can do that. a user is able to pick the best app for any given
    task from multiple operating systems.

    > The exception, perhaps, is games, but that doesn't interest me.

    so there's more software only if you eliminate one area in which
    there's more. got it.

    nospam, Jul 5, 2010
  14. Rich

    Bruce Guest

    On 5 Jul 2010 04:17:31 GMT, "Chris F.A. Johnson"
    <> wrote:
    >On 2010-07-05, nospam wrote:
    >> In article <>, Chris F.A. Johnson
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's not OK for them either; I will not use anything from either
    >>> company.

    >> your loss. by doing so, you give up a significant amount of extremely
    >> useful software, some of which has no replacement.

    > There is nothing I need or want that I cannot get for my GNU/Linux
    > system.

    You mean there's a mobile version that runs on cell phones?

    Bruce, Jul 5, 2010
  15. Rich

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Bruce <> wrote:
    >On 5 Jul 2010 04:17:31 GMT, "Chris F.A. Johnson"
    ><> wrote:
    >>On 2010-07-05, nospam wrote:

    >>> your loss. by doing so, you give up a significant amount of extremely
    >>> useful software, some of which has no replacement.

    >> There is nothing I need or want that I cannot get for my GNU/Linux
    >> system.

    >You mean there's a mobile version that runs on cell phones?

    Now there's an interesting idea. Certainly many cell phones today
    have the capability to run Linux. Personally I would find it a total
    crackup to fire up a C shell on a cell phone.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Jul 5, 2010
  16. Rich

    nospam Guest

    In article <4c318fd1$0$1590$>, Ray Fischer
    <> wrote:

    > Now there's an interesting idea. Certainly many cell phones today
    > have the capability to run Linux. Personally I would find it a total
    > crackup to fire up a C shell on a cell phone.

    the iphone runs os x and you can invoke a shell as well as ssh into it
    if you jailbreak it. some users have installed vim, gcc, gdb and even
    apache on the phone itself.

    android is based on linux but the apps are java.

    nospam, Jul 5, 2010
  17. Rich

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 05/07/2010 09:54, Ray Fischer wrote:
    > Bruce<> wrote:
    >> On 5 Jul 2010 04:17:31 GMT, "Chris F.A. Johnson"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> There is nothing I need or want that I cannot get for my GNU/Linux
    >>> system.

    >> You mean there's a mobile version that runs on cell phones?

    > Now there's an interesting idea. Certainly many cell phones today
    > have the capability to run Linux. Personally I would find it a total
    > crackup to fire up a C shell on a cell phone.

    Androïd is based on a Linux core:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Jul 5, 2010
  18. Rich

    nospam Guest

    In article <4c319ee0$-privat.org>, Atheist Chaplain
    <> wrote:

    > I just love to see the fanbois turn themselves inside out :)

    i just love to see the bashers make up bullshit just to bash.

    everything i said is factual, nothing inside out about it.

    not to mention that when other companies do exactly the same thing,
    they turn a blind eye, i.e., microsoft.

    > And maybe when your rose coloured glasses fade a bit you might want to read
    > the restrictions placed on app developers, but then I think you might have
    > some comprehension issues to work out first.

    since i *am* an app developer, i'm well aware of the restrictions and
    what can and cannot be done.

    have you written any apps for the iphone, or android for that matter?

    go see what it's like to develop for nintendo if you want to see what
    restrictions really means, or verizon's brew platform.

    nospam, Jul 5, 2010
  19. Rich

    nospam Guest

    In article <-privat.org>, Atheist Chaplain
    <> wrote:

    > Completely wrong, Microsoft fart and they get blamed for hurricanes, Apple
    > tighten the reigns on what constitutes a breach of the EULA in just about
    > every product they sell, or blame their shitty design on the way the end
    > user holds a device and no one bats an eye.

    then why don't you hear anyone complaining about windows phone 7? it
    has many of the same restrictions as the iphone, including a single
    apps store with app approvals. or how current windows mobile users are
    orphaned?

    > Apple has been a closed shop for so long and have done it so well that there
    > are British Union organisers queuing up to take lessons from them.

    that must be why large parts of os x and the kernel itself are open
    source. or why webkit is open source and used by competitors, including
    google, hp/palm and nokia. because apple is closed.

    > > have you written any apps for the iphone, or android for that matter?

    > No, but is that somehow important ??

    yes it is important. if you aren't developing for the iphone or even
    for one of its competitors, it's not likely you know much about what is
    involved in writing and deploying apps for any of the various
    platforms, other than the usual soundbites which are not always
    completely accurate.

    > > go see what it's like to develop for nintendo if you want to see what
    > > restrictions really means, or verizon's brew platform.

    > why the diversion ??
    > we are talking about the restrictive practices and EULA that Apple impose on
    > the end user.

    it's not a diversion. other companies are *much* more restrictive.

    nospam, Jul 6, 2010
  20. Rich

    <> wrote:

    > > then why don't you hear anyone complaining about windows phone 7?

    > so where can I get a Windows 7 phone right now ??

    what difference does that make? microsoft has already announced that
    there will be app approval and a single apps store, just like apple.
    why isn't that an issue? because it's not apple. when other companies
    do the same thing, it's fine.

    > >> Apple has been a closed shop for so long and have done it so well that
    > >> there
    > >> are British Union organisers queuing up to take lessons from them.

    > > that must be why large parts of os x and the kernel itself are open
    > > source. or why webkit is open source and used by competitors, including
    > > google, hp/palm and nokia. because apple is closed.

    > So where are the other system manufacturers, Oh that's right, as soon as
    > Jobs got his old job back he killed them stone cold dead without so much as
    > a "Thanks, but no thanks"

    nice diversion. you are completely ignoring that os x has a lot of open
    source components, some of which apple wrote themselves and released
    into the community, while microsoft windows tries to lock users in with
    proprietary formats and technology, such as windows media and c#.

    > Again, your having a problem comprehending, I don't need to write apps to be
    > able to read an EULA.

    you need to write apps to know what is possible.

    as i explained there are ways to legitimately install apps that do
    *not* go through the store, which you keep ignoring and deny that
    exist. someone who writes apps would know about them, as well as the
    restrictions of other platforms such as windows phone 7 and android.

    > so, you snipped the question, what apps have you developed.

    they're not relevant. a couple are still in development. the point is
    that i have and you have not.

    > >> why the diversion ??
    > >> we are talking about the restrictive practices and EULA that Apple impose
    > >> on the end user.

    > > it's not a diversion. other companies are *much* more restrictive.

    > again for the comprehension challenged, we are not talking about other
    > companies.

    of course we're not. that's exactly my point. only when it's apple do
    people bitch. when other companies do exactly the same thing (or
    worse), nobody cares. they aren't even interested.

    nospam, Jul 6, 2010