Re: The time is NIGH ! porting from BT !

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Gordon Henderson, May 29, 2008.

  1. In article <>,
    Laserfink <> wrote:
    >Ok the time has come for me to decide what i am doing with
    >2 BT numbers , i likely want to port them to VOIP as
    >BT cant move them due to Premises move as its on different
    >exchanges.
    >
    >WHO, where , costs from anybody with experience in these
    >matters would be appreciated please.

    I don't think your email address is valid, but since you asked and
    there's possibly no way to otherwise contact you...

    Me?
    Well, I'm based in Devon, but the Internet is fairly Global...
    £20 per number + VAT.

    I'd need to know the numbers before I could confirm that porting is
    possible, and you'd need your BT bill to hand. I'd expect porting to
    take 2 weeks once the paperwork is complete.

    Sadly, there is some paperwork to be completed too. (As in dead tree
    technology )-:

    >I am closing my office to move it HOME , currently i am a BT one plan
    >Buisness customer with following
    >1 - voice line - with feature plan contract up in mid 09
    >( been told it will cost me around £50 to break this contract)
    >2- fax line - contract expired
    >3- broadband - contract expired

    Your FAX number can be ported to a FAX to email service. I'd not suggest
    using VoIP to send FAXes with, but some people have reported success.

    >Having spoken to BT they want 7 -10 days to transfer and £160
    >and CANNOT take my numbers with me as its on a
    >different exhange .

    How can they quote a time to transfer then say they can't as it's on a
    differnet exchange? Sounds odd to me!

    >So can i port a number on voip still within contract on BT , i am planning
    >to just pay the penalty
    >anyway and dump the lines as i cant take them with me anyway

    OK. Note that when the port happens, it'll kill the line including any
    broadband services, etc.

    Drop me an email if you want to take this further, but you might want to
    listen here first - I'm sure others will also offer, and/or make
    suggestions for other services :)

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, May 29, 2008