Re: The police advised me to destroy my computer after it was attacked.

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Leythos, Mar 27, 2010.

  1. Leythos

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > "Of course, injecting code into the BIOS is no easy feat. It requires
    > physical access to the machine or an exploit that hands an attacker
    > unfettered root access."

    Which means that 99.99999999999% of all the people in the world don't
    have to worry about it.

    Trust yourself.
    (remove 999 for proper email address)

    Leythos, Mar 27, 2010

  2. Leythos

    BoaterDave Guest

    On Mar 27, 7:27 pm, Leythos <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    > > "Of course, injecting code into the BIOS is no easy feat. It requires
    > > physical access to the machine or an exploit that hands an attacker
    > > unfettered root access."

    > Which means that 99.99999999999% of all the people in the world don't
    > have to worry about it.
    >
    > --
    > You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
    > voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.
    > Trust yourself.
    > (remove 999 for proper email address)

    Are you suggesting that John is acting foolishly, viz:

    Newsgroups: alt.computer.security
    From: "housetrained" <>
    Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:27:02 -0000
    Subject: Re: The police advised me to destroy my computer after it was
    attacked.

    I always re-install my BIOS when doing a clean install - just to be
    sure.
    --
    John the West Ham fan

    BoaterDave, Mar 27, 2010

  3. Leythos

    unruh Guest

    On 2010-03-27, BoaterDave <> wrote:
    > On Mar 27, 7:27?pm, Leythos <> wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>
    >> > "Of course, injecting code into the BIOS is no easy feat. It requires
    >> > physical access to the machine or an exploit that hands an attacker
    >> > unfettered root access."

    >> Which means that 99.99999999999% of all the people in the world don't
    >> have to worry about it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
    >> voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that. ?
    >> Trust yourself.
    >> (remove 999 for proper email address)

    > Are you suggesting that John is acting foolishly, viz:

    I would say so. I suspect that the chances of screwing up the
    re-installation of the bios, thus making his machine totally
    inoperative, is far higher than the chance of his being hit by a bios
    virus.

    unruh, Mar 27, 2010