Re: The police advised me to destroy my computer after it was attacked.

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Jim Watt, Mar 27, 2010.

  1. Jim Watt

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:34:37 +0000, ~BD~ <>
    wrote:

    >Quote:
    >
    >"Researchers have demonstrated how to create rootkits that survive
    >hard-disk reformatting by injecting malware into the low-level system
    >instructions of a target computer.
    >
    >The researchers, from Core Security Technologies, used the techniques to
    >inject rootkits into two computers, one running the OpenBSD operating
    >system and the other Windows. Because the infection lives in the
    >computer's BIOS, or basic input/output system, it persists even after
    >the operating system is reinstalled or a computer's hard drive is replaced."
    >
    >Ref: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/24/persistent_bios_rootkits/

    How about flashing the BIOS or better replacing the chip
    that holds it.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com