Re: The ODBC resource DLL is a different version than the ODBC driver manager

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by beenthere, Oct 16, 2006.

  1. beenthere

    beenthere Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > After upgrading from Windows 2000 sp4 to Windows XP Pro sp2 and doing
    > all the critical updates. I'm getting this error message when logging
    > off of Windows:
    >
    > "The ODBC resource DLL (C:\WINNT\system32\odbcint.dll) is a different
    > version than the ODBC driver manager (C:\WINNT\ODBC32.dll). You need to
    > reinstall the ODBC combonents to ensure proper operation."
    >
    > Based on that message, I tried to reinstall MDAC 2.8 from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...e3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&DisplayLang=en.
    > However, during installation I got this message:
    >
    > "MDAC 2.8 RTM is incompatible with this version of Windows. All of its
    > features are curretnly part of Windows."
    >
    > I then ran this installation for Microsoft Data Access Components
    > (MDAC) 2.8 SP1
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...95-efc2-4f8e-a9e0-3a1afbd5922e&displaylang=en
    >
    > And got this message:
    > "This setup does not support installing on this operating system"
    >
    > Then tried repairing the installation based on these steps:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899861
    >
    > I ran the component checker and it says "MDAC 2.8 sp1 on Windows XP sp
    > 2."
    >
    > I am still getting the error message when logging off. It doesn't seem
    > to be impacting anything in Windows XP. But the error message is a
    > little annoying. Thanks for any help.
    >

    Hi tkb. I1m still puzzling over your problem.
    Go have a read of Table 1 on this site (M$).
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmdac/html/data_mdacinstall.asp

    Says something about, being installed as part of the OS.
    Looks like you might have to do a System Repair install. ??.
    beenthere, Oct 16, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. beenthere

    Guest

    On Oct 16, 9:29 am, "beenthere" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    >
    >
    > > After upgrading from Windows 2000 sp4 to Windows XP Pro sp2 and doing
    > > all the critical updates. I'm getting this error message when logging
    > > off of Windows:

    >
    > > "The ODBC resource DLL (C:\WINNT\system32\odbcint.dll) is a different
    > > version than the ODBC driver manager (C:\WINNT\ODBC32.dll). You need to
    > > reinstall the ODBC combonents to ensure proper operation."

    >
    > > Based on that message, I tried to reinstall MDAC 2.8 from
    > >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c79....
    > > However, during installation I got this message:

    >
    > > "MDAC 2.8 RTM is incompatible with this version of Windows. All of its
    > > features are curretnly part of Windows."

    >
    > > I then ran this installation for Microsoft Data Access Components
    > > (MDAC) 2.8 SP1
    > >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=78cac895-efc...

    >
    > > And got this message:
    > > "This setup does not support installing on this operating system"

    >
    > > Then tried repairing the installation based on these steps:
    > >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899861

    >
    > > I ran the component checker and it says "MDAC 2.8 sp1 on Windows XP sp
    > > 2."

    >
    > > I am still getting the error message when logging off. It doesn't seem
    > > to be impacting anything in Windows XP. But the error message is a
    > > little annoying. Thanks for any help.Hi tkb. I1m still puzzling over your problem.

    > Go have a read of Table 1 on this site (M$).http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmd...
    >
    > Says something about, being installed as part of the OS.
    > Looks like you might have to do a System Repair install. ??


    How do I do that? Reinstall Windows XP? Really it's just the error
    message that is the problem. Everything else seems to be OK. If there
    was a way to supress the error message when logging off, that would be
    good enough.

    tkb
    , Oct 16, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. beenthere

    beenthere Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    >
    > On Oct 16, 9:29 am, "beenthere" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in
    >> messagenews:...
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> > After upgrading from Windows 2000 sp4 to Windows XP Pro sp2 and doing
    >> > all the critical updates. I'm getting this error message when logging
    >> > off of Windows:

    >>
    >> > "The ODBC resource DLL (C:\WINNT\system32\odbcint.dll) is a different
    >> > version than the ODBC driver manager (C:\WINNT\ODBC32.dll). You need to
    >> > reinstall the ODBC combonents to ensure proper operation."

    >>
    >> > Based on that message, I tried to reinstall MDAC 2.8 from
    >> >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c79....
    >> > However, during installation I got this message:

    >>
    >> > "MDAC 2.8 RTM is incompatible with this version of Windows. All of its
    >> > features are curretnly part of Windows."

    >>
    >> > I then ran this installation for Microsoft Data Access Components
    >> > (MDAC) 2.8 SP1
    >> >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=78cac895-efc...

    >>
    >> > And got this message:
    >> > "This setup does not support installing on this operating system"

    >>
    >> > Then tried repairing the installation based on these steps:
    >> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899861

    >>
    >> > I ran the component checker and it says "MDAC 2.8 sp1 on Windows XP sp
    >> > 2."

    >>
    >> > I am still getting the error message when logging off. It doesn't seem
    >> > to be impacting anything in Windows XP. But the error message is a
    >> > little annoying. Thanks for any help.Hi tkb. I1m still puzzling over
    >> > your problem.

    >> Go have a read of Table 1 on this site
    >> (M$).http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmd...
    >>
    >> Says something about, being installed as part of the OS.
    >> Looks like you might have to do a System Repair install. ??

    >
    > How do I do that? Reinstall Windows XP? Really it's just the error
    > message that is the problem. Everything else seems to be OK. If there
    > was a way to supress the error message when logging off, that would be
    > good enough.
    >


    We don`t like giving up do we ?. <g>.

    Quote::
    Trev
    11-12-04, 15:37
    OK, how to repair a copy of MDAC 2.8 on WinXP with SP2 installed
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^NOTE 2.8^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    first, locate the mdac.inf file in c:\windows\inf right click and
    install
    when prompted for a location, point to
    c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 then when promtpet for the XPcd,
    either load the cd or point to c:\i386

    hey presto, this reinstalls / repairs MDAC 2.8
    /Quote.

    You can give that a try.
    beenthere, Oct 16, 2006
    #3
  4. beenthere

    Guest

    On Oct 16, 10:23 am, "beenthere" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Oct 16, 9:29 am, "beenthere" <> wrote:
    > >> <> wrote in
    > >> messagenews:...

    >
    > >> > After upgrading from Windows 2000 sp4 to Windows XP Pro sp2 and doing
    > >> > all the critical updates. I'm getting this error message when logging
    > >> > off of Windows:

    >
    > >> > "The ODBC resource DLL (C:\WINNT\system32\odbcint.dll) is a different
    > >> > version than the ODBC driver manager (C:\WINNT\ODBC32.dll). You need to
    > >> > reinstall the ODBC combonents to ensure proper operation."

    >
    > >> > Based on that message, I tried to reinstall MDAC 2.8 from
    > >> >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c79....
    > >> > However, during installation I got this message:

    >
    > >> > "MDAC 2.8 RTM is incompatible with this version of Windows. All of its
    > >> > features are curretnly part of Windows."

    >
    > >> > I then ran this installation for Microsoft Data Access Components
    > >> > (MDAC) 2.8 SP1
    > >> >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=78cac895-efc...

    >
    > >> > And got this message:
    > >> > "This setup does not support installing on this operating system"

    >
    > >> > Then tried repairing the installation based on these steps:
    > >> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899861

    >
    > >> > I ran the component checker and it says "MDAC 2.8 sp1 on Windows XP sp
    > >> > 2."

    >
    > >> > I am still getting the error message when logging off. It doesn't seem
    > >> > to be impacting anything in Windows XP. But the error message is a
    > >> > little annoying. Thanks for any help.Hi tkb. I1m still puzzling over
    > >> > your problem.
    > >> Go have a read of Table 1 on this site
    > >> (M$).http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmd...

    >
    > >> Says something about, being installed as part of the OS.
    > >> Looks like you might have to do a System Repair install. ??

    >
    > > How do I do that? Reinstall Windows XP? Really it's just the error
    > > message that is the problem. Everything else seems to be OK. If there
    > > was a way to supress the error message when logging off, that would be
    > > good enough.We don`t like giving up do we ?. <g>.

    >
    > Quote::
    > Trev
    > 11-12-04, 15:37
    > OK, how to repair a copy of MDAC 2.8 on WinXP with SP2 installed
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^NOTE 2.8^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > first, locate the mdac.inf file in c:\windows\inf right click and
    > install
    > when prompted for a location, point to
    > c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 then when promtpet for the XPcd,
    > either load the cd or point to c:\i386
    >
    > hey presto, this reinstalls / repairs MDAC 2.8
    > /Quote.
    >
    > You can give that a try.


    Yes I've already done that, as stated in my original post... "Then
    tried repairing the installation based on these steps:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899861"

    tkb
    , Oct 16, 2006
    #4
  5. beenthere

    beenthere Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > On Oct 16, 10:23 am, "beenthere" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in
    >> messagenews:...
    >>

    Stripped for a clean start.
    >

    Go to Start\Search, and type in ODBC.
    You`ll get a list.
    You know the 2 items we`re looking for
    ODBC32.dll, and ODBCint.dll.
    They are both in Windows\System32 folder.
    Rt\click on each (1 at a time of course).
    Rt\click and select Properties, and check the version.
    On My Machine they are both version 3.525.1117.0.

    I think that`s where your problem lies.
    I do hope this helps. I`m old, and I`m getting worn out <g>.
    beenthere, Oct 16, 2006
    #5
  6. beenthere

    Guest

    On Oct 16, 11:08 am, "beenthere" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    > > On Oct 16, 10:23 am, "beenthere" <> wrote:
    > >> <> wrote in
    > >> messagenews:...Stripped for a clean start.Go to Start\Search, and type in ODBC.

    > You`ll get a list.
    > You know the 2 items we`re looking for
    > ODBC32.dll, and ODBCint.dll.
    > They are both in Windows\System32 folder.
    > Rt\click on each (1 at a time of course).
    > Rt\click and select Properties, and check the version.
    > On My Machine they are both version 3.525.1117.0.


    Since my PC is an updgrade from Windows 2000, it is located in
    C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32. Here's what I found:

    odbc32.dll - file version 3.525.1117.0
    odbcint.dll - file version 3.525.1117.0

    > I do hope this helps. I`m old, and I`m getting worn out <g>.


    Hang in there. Is there anyone else at the helpdesk? Maybe you need a
    day off? ;-)

    tkb
    , Oct 16, 2006
    #6
  7. beenthere

    why? Guest

    On 16 Oct 2006 08:39:16 -0700, wrote:

    >
    >
    >On Oct 16, 11:08 am, "beenthere" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >>
    >> > On Oct 16, 10:23 am, "beenthere" <> wrote:
    >> >> <> wrote in
    >> >> messagenews:...Stripped for a clean start.Go to Start\Search, and type in ODBC.

    >> You`ll get a list.
    >> You know the 2 items we`re looking for
    >> ODBC32.dll, and ODBCint.dll.
    >> They are both in Windows\System32 folder.
    >> Rt\click on each (1 at a time of course).
    >> Rt\click and select Properties, and check the version.
    >> On My Machine they are both version 3.525.1117.0.

    >
    >Since my PC is an updgrade from Windows 2000, it is located in
    >C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32. Here's what I found:
    >
    >odbc32.dll - file version 3.525.1117.0
    >odbcint.dll - file version 3.525.1117.0
    >
    >> I do hope this helps. I`m old, and I`m getting worn out <g>.

    >
    >Hang in there. Is there anyone else at the helpdesk? Maybe you need a
    >day off? ;-)


    It's been 5 years since I last saw the problem you have, don't think I
    remember what the fix was. It was a server that had NT4 Office / (MS
    Access) / MDAC / ODBC updates and IIS web server installed, when not
    done in oldest to newest date order it fouled up.

    I think of you extend your file search for odbc*.* to all local drives
    you will find multiple versions of the same file. IIRC I simply renamed
    all those that wern't in winnt\system or winnt\system32 , checked the
    versions and if still different made them the same. Not somethingI would
    recommend to a beginner, moving / renaming DLLs about but it did work.

    It may well not be either of the files in your 1st message but a file
    used by 1 of those.

    Try the
    MDAC Utility: Component Checker
    www.microsoft.com/data

    There may also be a MS newsgroup, lets see
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/community/default.aspx
    this 1 looks promising

    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.odbcnet

    Try searchning it first from Google
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.odbcnet

    Well 0 hits for the subject line of your message, clicking on search in
    all Google groups found better matches

    microsoft.public.odbc.sdk


    Results 1 - 10 of 843 for The ODBC resource DLL is a different version
    than the ODBC driver manager

    Time for some reading, that's your job :)

    >tkb


    Me
    why?, Oct 16, 2006
    #7
  8. beenthere

    Guest

    On Oct 16, 4:00 pm, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On 16 Oct 2006 08:39:16 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > >On Oct 16, 11:08 am, "beenthere" <> wrote:
    > >> <> wrote in messagenews:...

    >
    > >> > On Oct 16, 10:23 am, "beenthere" <> wrote:
    > >> >> <> wrote in
    > >> >> messagenews:...Strippedfor a clean start.Go to Start\Search, and type in ODBC.
    > >> You`ll get a list.
    > >> You know the 2 items we`re looking for
    > >> ODBC32.dll, and ODBCint.dll.
    > >> They are both in Windows\System32 folder.
    > >> Rt\click on each (1 at a time of course).
    > >> Rt\click and select Properties, and check the version.
    > >> On My Machine they are both version 3.525.1117.0.

    >
    > >Since my PC is an updgrade from Windows 2000, it is located in
    > >C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32. Here's what I found:

    >
    > >odbc32.dll - file version 3.525.1117.0
    > >odbcint.dll - file version 3.525.1117.0

    >
    > >> I do hope this helps. I`m old, and I`m getting worn out <g>.

    >
    > >Hang in there. Is there anyone else at the helpdesk? Maybe you need a
    > >day off? ;-)It's been 5 years since I last saw the problem you have, don't think I

    > remember what the fix was. It was a server that had NT4 Office / (MS
    > Access) / MDAC / ODBC updates and IIS web server installed, when not
    > done in oldest to newest date order it fouled up.
    >
    > I think of you extend your file search for odbc*.* to all local drives
    > you will find multiple versions of the same file. IIRC I simply renamed
    > all those that wern't in winnt\system or winnt\system32 , checked the
    > versions and if still different made them the same. Not somethingI would
    > recommend to a beginner, moving / renaming DLLs about but it did work.
    >
    > It may well not be either of the files in your 1st message but a file
    > used by 1 of those.
    >
    > Try the
    > MDAC Utility: Component Checkerwww.microsoft.com/data
    >
    > There may also be a MS newsgroup, lets seehttp://msdn.microsoft.com/data/community/default.aspx
    > this 1 looks promising
    >
    > microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.odbcnet
    >
    > Try searchning it first from Googlehttp://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.odbcnet
    >
    > Well 0 hits for the subject line of your message, clicking on search in
    > all Google groups found better matches
    >
    > microsoft.public.odbc.sdk
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of 843 for The ODBC resource DLL is a different version
    > than the ODBC driver manager
    >
    > Time for some reading, that's your job :)


    Yeah thanks. ;-) Anway, this group was my last hope since I've already
    done all those things (check my orginal post with links to all the
    fixes I've tried). Nonetheless, I'll make sure I haven't missed
    anything.

    tkb
    , Oct 16, 2006
    #8
  9. beenthere

    Guest

    I've fixed this problem. Thanks for your help.

    tkb
    , Oct 17, 2006
    #9
  10. beenthere

    Guest

    On Oct 17, 9:26 am, Frosty <> wrote:
    > I downloaded new messages from 24hoursupport.helpdesk on 17 Oct 2006
    > 06:12:20 -0700, and "" <> vomited
    > forth this bit of wisdom :
    >
    > >I've fixed this problem. Thanks for your help.

    >
    > >tkbHey, sure, no sweat.

    > Our bill is in the mail.


    Oh, so I gotta pay for someone to tell me to google it, even though I
    already did? ;-)

    tkb
    , Oct 17, 2006
    #10
  11. beenthere

    Frosty Guest

    I downloaded new messages from 24hoursupport.helpdesk on 17 Oct 2006
    06:12:20 -0700, and "" <> vomited
    forth this bit of wisdom :

    >I've fixed this problem. Thanks for your help.
    >
    >tkb



    Hey, sure, no sweat.
    Our bill is in the mail.

    The Management
    Frosty, Oct 17, 2006
    #11
  12. beenthere

    why? Guest

    On 16 Oct 2006 15:52:08 -0700, wrote:

    >
    >
    >On Oct 16, 4:00 pm, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    >> On 16 Oct 2006 08:39:16 -0700, wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> >On Oct 16, 11:08 am, "beenthere" <> wrote:
    >> >> <> wrote in messagenews:...

    >>
    >> >> > On Oct 16, 10:23 am, "beenthere" <> wrote:
    >> >> >> <> wrote in
    >> >> >> messagenews:...Strippedfor a clean start.Go to Start\Search, and type in ODBC.
    >> >> You`ll get a list.
    >> >> You know the 2 items we`re looking for
    >> >> ODBC32.dll, and ODBCint.dll.


    <snip>

    >> >> I do hope this helps. I`m old, and I`m getting worn out <g>.

    >>
    >> >Hang in there. Is there anyone else at the helpdesk? Maybe you need a
    >> >day off? ;-)It's been 5 years since I last saw the problem you have, don't think I

    >> remember what the fix was. It was a server that had NT4 Office / (MS
    >> Access) / MDAC / ODBC updates and IIS web server installed, when not
    >> done in oldest to newest date order it fouled up.
    >>
    >> I think of you extend your file search for odbc*.* to all local drives
    >> you will find multiple versions of the same file. IIRC I simply renamed
    >> all those that wern't in winnt\system or winnt\system32 , checked the
    >> versions and if still different made them the same. Not somethingI would
    >> recommend to a beginner, moving / renaming DLLs about but it did work.
    >>
    >> It may well not be either of the files in your 1st message but a file
    >> used by 1 of those.
    >>
    >> Try the
    >> MDAC Utility: Component Checkerwww.microsoft.com/data
    >>
    >> There may also be a MS newsgroup, lets seehttp://msdn.microsoft.com/data/community/default.aspx
    >> this 1 looks promising
    >>
    >> microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.odbcnet
    >>
    >> Try searchning it first from Googlehttp://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.odbcnet
    >>
    >> Well 0 hits for the subject line of your message, clicking on search in
    >> all Google groups found better matches
    >>
    >> microsoft.public.odbc.sdk
    >>
    >> Results 1 - 10 of 843 for The ODBC resource DLL is a different version
    >> than the ODBC driver manager
    >>
    >> Time for some reading, that's your job :)

    >
    >Yeah thanks. ;-) Anway, this group was my last hope since I've already


    That must have been where you switched to white text on a white
    background. Didn't see the MS newsgroup or the component checker
    mentioned :)

    >done all those things (check my orginal post with links to all the


    3 == all?

    >fixes I've tried). Nonetheless, I'll make sure I haven't missed


    That's why I had some different links.

    >anything.


    Me
    why?, Oct 17, 2006
    #12
  13. beenthere

    why? Guest

    On 17 Oct 2006 06:12:20 -0700, wrote:

    Please include some of the text you are replying to.

    >I've fixed this problem. Thanks for your help.


    YW, so what was the fix? If you mention it in the thread it makes it
    easier to find error / solution next time.

    >tkb


    Me
    why?, Oct 17, 2006
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Some1

    mprapi.dll --> samlib.dll --> ntdll.dll issue.

    Some1, Apr 2, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    2,223
    Some1
    Apr 5, 2004
  2. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    810
  3. Bob Mathewson

    ODBC resource & setup dlls

    Bob Mathewson, May 5, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    886
    Mr. Arnold
    May 10, 2007
  4. Snoopy
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    3,005
    Mainlander
    Aug 25, 2003
  5. 64 bit ODBC and a 32 bit ODBC

    , Jul 15, 2008, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    2,179
    Jeff Gaines
    Jul 16, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page