Re: The name IHUG is now long gone - hardly surprising that Vodafone has dropped the ihug internet

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Apr 10, 2008.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1207782176.847165@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    > Bit of a shame the ihug name won't be round any more, but after being sold
    > twice ihug was no longer the same company as when the Woods had started it
    > and built it up to being one of the largest privately owned ISPs in the
    > country.
    >
    > Quite fitting Vodafone chose to drop the ihug name on April 1st.
    >
    > Bet the customer settings don't change as quickly - the original ihug
    > settings will carry on for a while yet.

    Memory failing Scrooge? - Efficient Software - they started off as.
    When they expanded to Christchurch, I think they still called themselves
    ES for a short time before renaming to Ihug.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Apr 10, 2008

  2. Dave Doe

    Miche Guest

    In article <>,
    Dave Doe <> wrote:

    > In article <1207782176.847165@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    > > Bit of a shame the ihug name won't be round any more, but after being sold
    > > twice ihug was no longer the same company as when the Woods had started it
    > > and built it up to being one of the largest privately owned ISPs in the
    > > country.
    > >
    > > Quite fitting Vodafone chose to drop the ihug name on April 1st.
    > >
    > > Bet the customer settings don't change as quickly - the original ihug
    > > settings will carry on for a while yet.

    > Memory failing Scrooge? - Efficient Software - they started off as.
    > When they expanded to Christchurch, I think they still called themselves
    > ES for a short time before renaming to Ihug.

    Efficient Software was a Dunedin ISP bought by IHUG. The es.co.nz name
    continues for people who signed up while ES was still ES.

    IHUG was started by the Wood brothers (can't remember their first names,
    I think Tim was one). "IHUG" was originally an acronym for Internet
    Home Users Group.

    Miche

    --
    Electricians do it in three phases
    Miche, Apr 10, 2008

  3. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1207783652.79537@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <1207782176.847165@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    > >> Bit of a shame the ihug name won't be round any more, but after being
    > >> sold
    > >> twice ihug was no longer the same company as when the Woods had started
    > >> it
    > >> and built it up to being one of the largest privately owned ISPs in the
    > >> country.
    > >>
    > >> Quite fitting Vodafone chose to drop the ihug name on April 1st.
    > >>
    > >> Bet the customer settings don't change as quickly - the original ihug
    > >> settings will carry on for a while yet.

    > > Memory failing Scrooge? - Efficient Software - they started off as.
    > > When they expanded to Christchurch, I think they still called themselves
    > > ES for a short time before renaming to Ihug.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Duncan

    > My memory isn't as bad as yours. ihug started in the North Island and was
    > obviously larger than Efficient Software was in the South Island. ihug and
    > Efficient Software became one.

    LOL - I stand corrected!

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Apr 10, 2008
  4. Dave Doe

    -Newsman- Guest

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:47:13 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >"Miche" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <1207782176.847165@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

    >>> Memory failing Scrooge? - Efficient Software - they started off as.
    >>> When they expanded to Christchurch, I think they still called themselves
    >>> ES for a short time before renaming to Ihug.

    >> Efficient Software was a Dunedin ISP bought by IHUG. The es.co.nz name
    >> continues for people who signed up while ES was still ES.
    >>
    >> IHUG was started by the Wood brothers (can't remember their first names,
    >> I think Tim was one). "IHUG" was originally an acronym for Internet
    >> Home Users Group.
    >>
    >> Miche

    >Nick Wood was the other brother - Bobs will remember him well LOL. Good to
    >be reminded what "ihug" actually meant. ihug when owned by the Woods was
    >about offering good value unlike Vodafone's cheapest boardband plan of 1 GB
    >a month for $30

    Geeezuss H Christ!

    That's what I'm currently paying TelstraClear for 5GB @ 4Mbps cable.
    -Newsman-, Apr 10, 2008
  5. In article <>, Steve B did write:

    > How long has [es.co.nz] been in existence?

    Since about the mid-1990s.

    > There used to be a rule that you couldn't use as a third-level domain name
    > a letter pair that was also a country-code (es is Spain), because it might
    > confuse the address resolvers.

    That was used to reverse the registration of nz.co.nz back then, but I never
    heard it mentioned as a problem for any other name.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 11, 2008
  6. Dave Doe

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:15:40 +1200, in message <>,
    Steve B wrote:

    > >The es.co.nz name

    > How long has that domain been in existence?
    >
    > [...] it still
    > surprises me to see names like that, especially when they claim some
    > antiquity.

    Look at the date on this message from the Google Archives:

    "Internet access in New Zealand FAQ"
    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/504cd58ea9389fa8

    --
    Cheers,