Re: The detached observer, or semi-bad day in the mountains

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Coe, Jan 17, 2010.

  1. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:06:32 -0800, "Frank ess" <> wrote:
    : I did a six-tenths motoring trip up South Grade Road to the S-6/7
    : junction, took a pause at 22034 County Highway S-7 to appreciate the
    : scenery prior to exciting descent to Lake Henshaw, Dudley's Bakery in
    : Santa Ysabel, and the Lake Cuyamaca twisties.
    :
    : While stopped I made a hundred-fifty or so exposures with my Canon
    : EOS-5D through the Canon 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L IS lenses. Then
    : everything went dark. After pushing all of what I thought were
    : appropriate buttons with no relief, I took off the lens and the mirror
    : fell out on the ground. Uh-oh. Bad news.
    :
    : Apparently a /lot/ of 5D users have had the same bad news. The good
    : news is that Canon acknowledges the problem and will "reinforce" the
    : mirror's attachment free of charge. My contact at Canon's Customer
    : Support Center was Jennifer. She said I could drop off the camera at
    : the Irvine branch - 68 miles away - or they would send me a UPS
    : shipping label to put on my carefully-packed box. This kind of
    : "adjustment" goes to the head of the line, and will result in a 3- or
    : 4-day turnaround.
    :
    : Apparently an email went out to registered users (thought I /was/ one)
    : about six months ago: ...

    DMac complained about that nearly two years ago, didn't he? It happened to him
    while he was shooting a wedding, and he was livid - claimed he immediately got
    rid of all his Canon gear.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 17, 2010

  2. On 1/17/10 PDT 1:26 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:06:32 -0800, "Frank ess"<> wrote:

    > : While stopped I made a hundred-fifty or so exposures with my Canon
    > : EOS-5D through the Canon 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L IS lenses. Then
    > : everything went dark. After pushing all of what I thought were
    > : appropriate buttons with no relief, I took off the lens and the mirror
    > : fell out on the ground. Uh-oh. Bad news.
    > :
    > : Apparently a /lot/ of 5D users have had the same bad news. The good
    > : news is that Canon acknowledges the problem and will "reinforce" the
    > : mirror's attachment free of charge. My contact at Canon's Customer
    > : Support Center was Jennifer. She said I could drop off the camera at
    > : the Irvine branch - 68 miles away - or they would send me a UPS
    > : shipping label to put on my carefully-packed box. This kind of
    > : "adjustment" goes to the head of the line, and will result in a 3- or
    > : 4-day turnaround.
    > :
    > : Apparently an email went out to registered users (thought I /was/ one)
    > : about six months ago: ...
    >
    > DMac complained about that nearly two years ago, didn't he? It happened to him
    > while he was shooting a wedding, and he was livid - claimed he immediately got
    > rid of all his Canon gear.

    DMac said a lot of things, but I don't recall that one. I do recall,
    though, how he complained about failure of an earlier Canon, but on
    questioning, it turned out he was using the built in flash, many
    hundreds exposures per hour, all in temperatures above the camera's
    stated range.....

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jan 17, 2010

  3. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:57:52 -0800, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    : On 1/17/10 PDT 1:26 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    : > On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:06:32 -0800, "Frank ess"<> wrote:
    :
    : > : While stopped I made a hundred-fifty or so exposures with my Canon
    : > : EOS-5D through the Canon 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L IS lenses. Then
    : > : everything went dark. After pushing all of what I thought were
    : > : appropriate buttons with no relief, I took off the lens and the mirror
    : > : fell out on the ground. Uh-oh. Bad news.
    : > :
    : > : Apparently a /lot/ of 5D users have had the same bad news. The good
    : > : news is that Canon acknowledges the problem and will "reinforce" the
    : > : mirror's attachment free of charge. My contact at Canon's Customer
    : > : Support Center was Jennifer. She said I could drop off the camera at
    : > : the Irvine branch - 68 miles away - or they would send me a UPS
    : > : shipping label to put on my carefully-packed box. This kind of
    : > : "adjustment" goes to the head of the line, and will result in a 3- or
    : > : 4-day turnaround.
    : > :
    : > : Apparently an email went out to registered users (thought I /was/ one)
    : > : about six months ago: ...
    : >
    : > DMac complained about that nearly two years ago, didn't he? It happened to him
    : > while he was shooting a wedding, and he was livid - claimed he immediately got
    : > rid of all his Canon gear.
    :
    : DMac said a lot of things, but I don't recall that one. I do recall,
    : though, how he complained about failure of an earlier Canon, but on
    : questioning, it turned out he was using the built in flash, many
    : hundreds exposures per hour, all in temperatures above the camera's
    : stated range.....

    I'm positive that he claimed that the mirror fell out of his 5D while he was
    shooting a wedding. The only thing I'm in doubt about is when it happened
    (i.e., before or after Canon acknowledged it as a problem).

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 18, 2010