Re: The D3 Gets A Turbo Charger!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David J Taylor, Aug 10, 2008.

  1. Richard wrote:
    > "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    >> Well, not exactly! But the 2GB buffer upgrade gives the same seat
    >> of the pants feeling. Though the upgrade is $500 and a trip to
    >> Nikon Service for the work to be performed it dispels the myth that
    >> the dSLR is a dead end technologically locked device. Way to go
    >> Nikon!
    >> <http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=28879392>

    > Wow! $500 for 2G worth of memory. Tidy profit for Nikon....

    It includes the fitting, I expect.

    [Cross-posting removed]

    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 10, 2008

  2. David J Taylor

    Dave Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Richard wrote:

    >>> <http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=28879392>

    >> Wow! $500 for 2G worth of memory. Tidy profit for Nikon....

    > It includes the fitting, I expect.
    >
    > [Cross-posting removed]
    >
    > David

    I'm a bit annoyed by this. I think Nikon are taking the ****.

    I think after paying the sort of money a D3 sells for, I would expect
    Nikon to have fitted as much memory as practical in it. Clearly a lot of
    that $500 is going to be the fitting cost and profit and very little of
    it the actual memory.

    I think if there were two varients of the D3, one with the current
    amount of RAM and another with the revised amount for the extra cost of
    the RAM, 99% of D3 buyers would have paid the small amount extra to get
    the extra memory. But this is just taking the ****.

    Am I the only one to feel this?
    Dave, Aug 10, 2008

  3. Dave wrote:
    []
    > I'm a bit annoyed by this. I think Nikon are taking the ****.
    >
    > I think after paying the sort of money a D3 sells for, I would expect
    > Nikon to have fitted as much memory as practical in it. Clearly a lot
    > of that $500 is going to be the fitting cost and profit and very
    > little of it the actual memory.
    >
    > I think if there were two varients of the D3, one with the current
    > amount of RAM and another with the revised amount for the extra cost
    > of the RAM, 99% of D3 buyers would have paid the small amount extra
    > to get the extra memory. But this is just taking the ****.
    >
    > Am I the only one to feel this?

    Dave,

    Presumably, the camera works perfectly well without, and you would only
    have the extra memory fitted if you actually needed it and would benefit
    from it. Upgrades happen all the time, as you well know. Be grateful you
    didn't have to buy a D3A!

    But joking aside, I agree it /does/ seem expensive. I wonder how much the
    upgrade costs in the UK? My feeling is that GBP 100-150 would be
    something like what I might expect to pay.

    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 10, 2008
  4. David J Taylor

    Dave Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    > []
    >> I'm a bit annoyed by this. I think Nikon are taking the ****.
    >>
    >> I think after paying the sort of money a D3 sells for, I would expect
    >> Nikon to have fitted as much memory as practical in it. Clearly a lot
    >> of that $500 is going to be the fitting cost and profit and very
    >> little of it the actual memory.
    >>
    >> I think if there were two varients of the D3, one with the current
    >> amount of RAM and another with the revised amount for the extra cost
    >> of the RAM, 99% of D3 buyers would have paid the small amount extra
    >> to get the extra memory. But this is just taking the ****.
    >>
    >> Am I the only one to feel this?

    > Dave,
    >
    > Presumably, the camera works perfectly well without, and you would only
    > have the extra memory fitted if you actually needed it and would benefit
    > from it. Upgrades happen all the time, as you well know. Be grateful you
    > didn't have to buy a D3A!

    I would have liked the option.

    > But joking aside, I agree it /does/ seem expensive. I wonder how much the
    > upgrade costs in the UK? My feeling is that GBP 100-150 would be
    > something like what I might expect to pay.
    >
    > David

    Very often, despite the fact GBP 1.00 is close to 2.0 USD, the actual
    conversion of pounds to $ is closer to 1:1. So I would not be too
    surprised if cost in the UK was £300-£450. I would be VERY surprised if
    it cost £250, which is the equivalent of $500. As far it costing
    £100-150 then I think you must be joking. That is less than the US cost,
    and very little here costs less than in the US.

    I've bought a number of computers for personal use and paid shipping
    from the US to the UK simply because it works out considerably cheaper
    than buying in the UK.

    I could have saved a bit on the D3 from buying outside the UK, but as
    you may have seen from my other post, I was not too keen to "take a
    chance" on such a large amount of money.

    dave
    Dave, Aug 10, 2008
  5. David J Taylor

    Dave Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >> Dave,
    >>
    >> Presumably, the camera works perfectly well without, and you would
    >> only have the extra memory fitted if you actually needed it and would
    >> benefit from it. Upgrades happen all the time, as you well know. Be
    >> grateful you didn't have to buy a D3A!

    > I would have liked the option.
    >
    >> But joking aside, I agree it /does/ seem expensive. I wonder how much
    >> the upgrade costs in the UK? My feeling is that GBP 100-150 would be
    >> something like what I might expect to pay.
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    > Very often, despite the fact GBP 1.00 is close to 2.0 USD, the actual
    > conversion of pounds to $ is closer to 1:1. So I would not be too
    > surprised if cost in the UK was £300-£450. I would be VERY surprised if
    > it cost £250, which is the equivalent of $500. As far it costing
    > £100-150 then I think you must be joking. That is less than the US cost,
    > and very little here costs less than in the US.

    According to Amateur Photographer, the D3 upgrade is £352

    http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Nikon_D3_camera_memory_upgrade_costs_352_news_264797.html

    which according to an online currency converter at http://www.xe.com/ucc/
    is $675, so us poor soles in the UK have to pay a lot more than in the US.

    Just to make it worst, according to the Nikon page, the user has to bear
    all shipping costs to/from Nikon.

    I'm tempted to contact Nikon and tell them I think they are taking the
    ****, as this is just ridiculous. £352, which in US terms is about $700
    for 2 GB of RAM!
    Dave, Aug 10, 2008
  6. Dave wrote:
    []
    > Very often, despite the fact GBP 1.00 is close to 2.0 USD, the actual
    > conversion of pounds to $ is closer to 1:1. So I would not be too
    > surprised if cost in the UK was £300-£450. I would be VERY surprised
    > if it cost £250, which is the equivalent of $500. As far it costing
    > £100-150 then I think you must be joking. That is less than the US
    > cost, and very little here costs less than in the US.
    >
    > I've bought a number of computers for personal use and paid shipping
    > from the US to the UK simply because it works out considerably cheaper
    > than buying in the UK.
    >
    > I could have saved a bit on the D3 from buying outside the UK, but as
    > you may have seen from my other post, I was not too keen to "take a
    > chance" on such a large amount of money.
    >
    > dave

    Oh, you are quite right, but I don't actually /know/ the cost here.

    One recent computer rag suggested taking a GBP 500 flight to the US as a
    way of saving money on purchases (I think they cited two copies of Office
    and two of Photoshop).

    At least today computers don't cost too much!

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 10, 2008
  7. Dave wrote:
    []
    > According to Amateur Photographer, the D3 upgrade is £352
    >
    > http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Nikon_D3_camera_memory_upgrade_costs_352_news_264797.html
    >
    > which according to an online currency converter at
    > http://www.xe.com/ucc/ is $675, so us poor soles in the UK have to
    > pay a lot more than in the US.
    > Just to make it worst, according to the Nikon page, the user has to
    > bear all shipping costs to/from Nikon.
    >
    > I'm tempted to contact Nikon and tell them I think they are taking the
    > ****, as this is just ridiculous. £352, which in US terms is about
    > $700 for 2 GB of RAM!

    ... and I bet you can add VAT (tax) to that £352! Anyone going to provide
    DIY instructions?

    Mind you, for those who /need/ the upgrade, the cost is probably in the
    noise. Thanks for the pointer.

    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 10, 2008
  8. David J Taylor

    Dave Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    > []
    >> According to Amateur Photographer, the D3 upgrade is £352
    >>
    >> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Nikon_D3_camera_memory_upgrade_costs_352_news_264797.html
    >>
    >> which according to an online currency converter at
    >> http://www.xe.com/ucc/ is $675, so us poor soles in the UK have to
    >> pay a lot more than in the US.
    >> Just to make it worst, according to the Nikon page, the user has to
    >> bear all shipping costs to/from Nikon.
    >>
    >> I'm tempted to contact Nikon and tell them I think they are taking the
    >> ****, as this is just ridiculous. £352, which in US terms is about
    >> $700 for 2 GB of RAM!

    > .. and I bet you can add VAT (tax) to that £352! Anyone going to provide
    > DIY instructions?
    >
    > Mind you, for those who /need/ the upgrade, the cost is probably in the
    > noise. Thanks for the pointer.
    >
    > David

    I've just sent this to Nikon via their support pages with the title "Why
    are Nkin taking the **** over the D3 upgrade?" I will post any reply I get:

    I'd just like to make that point that I feel Nikon are being very unfair
    in charging for "D3 buffer memory expansion".

    After paying this much for a camera, I think Nilon should have put the
    extra RAM in before shipping it. Memory is not that expensive these days.

    I gather in the US this is $499/ I've not seen a UK price from Nkon, but
    I've seen in Amateur Photographer this is £352 pounds, which is about
    45% more. This is really is taking the pee.

    IMHO Nikon should offer this free. Doing it in order of serial number,
    so those that bought the D3's first get upgraded first. I only bought my
    D3 last week, so I would be almost last on the list, but I think Nilon
    should do this free. Not take the mic out of people who have paid good
    money for a camera.

    So I have three questions.

    1) Is there any good reason the D3 was not shipped with this.

    2) Is there any good reason Nikon and charging so much for a couple of
    GB of RAM in the USA?

    3) Is there any good reason Nikon charge so much more in the UK than in
    the US?

    I can see how you will irritate a lot of processional photographers with
    this.

    Dave
    Dave, Aug 10, 2008
  9. David J Taylor

    Paul Furman Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:

    >>> Wow! $500 for 2G worth of memory. Tidy profit for Nikon....

    >> It includes the fitting, I expect.
    >>
    >> [Cross-posting removed]
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    > I'm a bit annoyed by this. I think Nikon are taking the ****.
    >
    > I think after paying the sort of money a D3 sells for, I would expect
    > Nikon to have fitted as much memory as practical in it. Clearly a lot of
    > that $500 is going to be the fitting cost and profit and very little of
    > it the actual memory.
    >
    > I think if there were two varients of the D3, one with the current
    > amount of RAM and another with the revised amount for the extra cost of
    > the RAM, 99% of D3 buyers would have paid the small amount extra to get
    > the extra memory. But this is just taking the ****.
    >
    > Am I the only one to feel this?

    They gave a reasonable explanation. It's good they got it out fast and
    stable at a good price then moved on to the D700.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Aug 14, 2008