Re: The Conflicting Bride reports.. also: Dracula

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Patrick Neve, Apr 28, 2004.

  1. Patrick Neve

    Patrick Neve Guest

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, ML-78 wrote:
    > > Guessing you have the sets by now..Have you checked the Bride of
    > > Frankenstein....The transfer appears to be the same as the old one...

    > Not according to these reports:
    > http://www.mhvf.net/forum/scifihorror/posts/124257559.html
    > http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=10443

    I just got mine, and it's definitely a superior master to either the prior
    DVD or the laserdisc. And I hate like DAMN to say it, since according to
    eBay my laserdisc is worth just about nothing right now. (will sell for
    basically postage, make offers).

    Until recently the laserdisc was generally considered to be the favorable
    version.. it suffers from a washed out picture and no real black tone, but
    at least you could see everything.. it didn't crop out important details,
    either. The previous DVD version was a bit sharper, and it had a black
    tone alright, but it was so dark it rendered many scenes pretty much
    unwatchable. Vast amounts of detail were lost to the dark. This most
    recent version, while closeups of faces still look a little fuzzy, has
    both a good black level, pleasing tonal balance, overall decent sharpness,
    and most importantly was re-matted so as not to cut off the heads. It
    also includes the

    I haven't had time to look at the the other discs that closely, but I'm
    rather initially alarmed at the my first impression of Dracula. I've only
    compared the first 5 minutes or so against the old DVD, but after starting
    each movie several times, it would appear that the old DVD definitely has
    the edge in the video department. Likewise, the audio, as crappy as it
    was for that first DVD, appears to be head and shoulders better than this
    new disc.

    Clearly, extensive research will be needed in comparing this latest Legacy
    set with prior editions. I look forward to other opinions.
    Patrick Neve, Apr 28, 2004