Re: The Canon G12 has *real competition* at last!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Sep 8, 2010.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce, Sep 8, 2010

  2. Bruce

    SMS Guest

    On 9/9/2010 4:26 AM, Bowser wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 22:45:51 +0100, Bruce<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Bruce<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nikon has announced the Coolpix 7000, a 10.1 MP competitor for the
    >>> Canon PowerShot G12:
    >>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10090819nikonp7000.asp
    >>>
    >>> Specs here in .pdf format:
    >>> http://press.nikonusa.com/COOLPIX_P7000_Sell_Sheet.pdf
    >>>
    >>> Looks good!

    >> X-posted to rec.photo.digital

    > Nikon finally just copied the Canon G series. Why not just name it the
    > Nikon G11a? I wonder if it can use Canon flashes?
    >
    > ;-)

    Given the reputation of the P6000, I'm surprised Nikon is trying again
    in this segment. I already see problems with the design of the P7000.

    SMS, Sep 9, 2010

  3. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Bowser <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 22:45:51 +0100, Bruce <>
    >wrote:
    >>Bruce <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Nikon has announced the Coolpix 7000, a 10.1 MP competitor for the
    >>>Canon PowerShot G12:
    >>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10090819nikonp7000.asp
    >>>
    >>>Specs here in .pdf format:
    >>>http://press.nikonusa.com/COOLPIX_P7000_Sell_Sheet.pdf
    >>>
    >>>Looks good!

    >>X-posted to rec.photo.digital

    >Nikon finally just copied the Canon G series. Why not just name it the
    >Nikon G11a? I wonder if it can use Canon flashes?
    >
    >;-)

    Who needs flash when the P7000 has low noise up to ISO 3200?

    Also, why call it a "G11a" when the P7000 has a far superior optical
    viewfinder to any of the Canon G Series?

    15-all. ;-)

    Bruce, Sep 9, 2010
  4. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    >On 2010-09-09 10:22:20 -0700, Bruce <> said:
    >> Bowser <> wrote:

    >>> Nikon finally just copied the Canon G series. Why not just name it the
    >>> Nikon G11a? I wonder if it can use Canon flashes?
    >>>
    >>> ;-)

    >> Who needs flash when the P7000 has low noise up to ISO 3200?

    >I guess getting ISO 3200 at full resolution using the same size sensor
    >as the G11 is one thing. The G11 does a resolution change for low light
    >ISO 3200 (2.5MP 1824x1368 732KB from 10MP 3648x2736 1.47 MB) Noisy, but
    >usable in a pinch. I would be interested to see some real World ISO
    >3200 shots from the P7000.
    >Most of the dpreview sample images are at ISO 100 with a couple at ISO
    >800 the performance there seems to match the G11. There are no ISO 3200
    >samples, and I suspect it will be as noisy at 3200 as the G11. You will
    >have captured an image, but not a clean one. I still think the outer
    >limit for these small sensors is ISO 1600 in a pinch, but realistically
    >topping out at 800.
    >

    >> Also, why call it a "G11a" when the P7000 has a far superior optical
    >> viewfinder to any of the Canon G Series?
    >>
    >> 15-all. ;-)

    >It would have been nice if they had put a physically larger 10MP sensor
    >in that P7000 so there would be a good reason to buy one as an upgrade
    >from my G11. The 720p video makes no difference to me one way or
    >another as I hardly use video in any of my cameras which have the
    >feature. There are a couple of interesting features, including being
    >able to get I-TTL via my SB-800, but not enough for me to spend the
    >$500 right now.

    I agree, it probably isn't worth trading up to. But for someone
    looking to replace an earlier G Series, there is now a real choice.
    For someone looking for a high quality "compact" digicam with a
    significantly better optical viewfinder, there is now a real choice.

    I will try to test a P7000 against my Panasonic Lumix GF-1 at the
    earliest opportunity. If the P7000 is as good as I expect it will be,
    it will be time to buy one and sell the GF-1.

    A 28-200mm lens is too useful to ignore; it will cover everything I
    use the GF-1 for - and no need to clean the sensor. I hate cleaning
    sensors. ;-)

    Bruce, Sep 10, 2010
  5. Bruce

    Peter Guest

    > On 2010-09-09 10:22:20 -0700, Bruce <> said:
    >
    >> Bowser <> wrote:

    >>> Nikon finally just copied the Canon G series. Why not just name it the
    >>> Nikon G11a? I wonder if it can use Canon flashes?
    >>>
    >>> ;-)

    >> Who needs flash when the P7000 has low noise up to ISO 3200?

    > I guess getting ISO 3200 at full resolution using the same size sensor as
    > the G11 is one thing. The G11 does a resolution change for low light ISO
    > 3200 (2.5MP 1824x1368 732KB from 10MP 3648x2736 1.47 MB) Noisy, but usable
    > in a pinch. I would be interested to see some real World ISO 3200 shots
    > from the P7000.
    > Most of the dpreview sample images are at ISO 100 with a couple at ISO 800
    > the performance there seems to match the G11. There are no ISO 3200
    > samples, and I suspect it will be as noisy at 3200 as the G11. You will
    > have captured an image, but not a clean one. I still think the outer limit
    > for these small sensors is ISO 1600 in a pinch, but realistically topping
    > out at 800.
    >

    >> Also, why call it a "G11a" when the P7000 has a far superior optical
    >> viewfinder to any of the Canon G Series?
    >>
    >> 15-all. ;-)

    > It would have been nice if they had put a physically larger 10MP sensor in
    > that P7000 so there would be a good reason to buy one as an upgrade from
    > my G11. The 720p video makes no difference to me one way or another as I
    > hardly use video in any of my cameras which have the feature. There are a
    > couple of interesting features, including being able to get I-TTL via my
    > SB-800, but not enough for me to spend the $500 right now.

    When I can get my hands on a sample, (I suspect that will be at PhotoExpo in
    October,) I will see for myself and run my own ISO tests. However, I
    strongly suspect that 800 may be barely usable.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Sep 10, 2010