Re: the better OS to use for older hardware ?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Dec 3, 2008.

  1. John

    John Guest

    In message <>, robb
    <> writes
    >I have not been keeping up with hardware and OS changes of late
    >(3 yrs... ok 8 yrs) and i was wondering if there is a better OS
    >to install on older hardware.
    >
    >Eg Dell inspiron 8100 PIII/866 Mhz
    >
    >and by better i mean something faster, smaller and less buggy
    >than my recollection of M$ windoze bloatware unless their newer
    >OS solved all the earlier versions ( 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP ...)
    >quirks :}
    >
    >I was looking for something different /fun/interesting to play
    >with on the old notebook. Does not need to be commercially
    >supported or have a large pool of commercial app knock offs.
    >
    >thanks for any helpful advice,
    >
    >robb
    >
    >sorry sci.elec.misc group but you guys seem to do this stuff
    >alot and you have been helpful in that past

    There are several 'small' forms of LINUX from the tiny upwards, some of
    which will (supposedly) run from a CD without actually installing them
    on the PC. The mag. freebies often include one or more versions, but a
    web search should bring up something useful.
    --
    John.

    John, Dec 3, 2008

  2. John

    Eeyore Guest

    John wrote:

    > In message <>, robb
    > <> writes
    > >I have not been keeping up with hardware and OS changes of late
    > >(3 yrs... ok 8 yrs) and i was wondering if there is a better OS
    > >to install on older hardware.
    > >
    > >Eg Dell inspiron 8100 PIII/866 Mhz
    > >
    > >and by better i mean something faster, smaller and less buggy
    > >than my recollection of M$ windoze bloatware unless their newer
    > >OS solved all the earlier versions ( 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP ...)
    > >quirks :}
    > >
    > >I was looking for something different /fun/interesting to play
    > >with on the old notebook. Does not need to be commercially
    > >supported or have a large pool of commercial app knock offs.
    > >
    > >thanks for any helpful advice,
    > >
    > >sorry sci.elec.misc group but you guys seem to do this stuff
    > >alot and you have been helpful in that past
    > >

    > There are several 'small' forms of LINUX from the tiny upwards, some of
    > which will (supposedly) run from a CD without actually installing them
    > on the PC. The mag. freebies often include one or more versions, but a
    > web search should bring up something useful.

    Try this .....
    http://www.puppylinux.org/

    Graham

    Eeyore, Dec 3, 2008

  3. John

    Baron Guest

    John wrote:

    > In message <>, robb
    > <> writes
    >>I have not been keeping up with hardware and OS changes of late
    >>(3 yrs... ok 8 yrs) and i was wondering if there is a better OS
    >>to install on older hardware.
    >>
    >>Eg Dell inspiron 8100 PIII/866 Mhz
    >>
    >>and by better i mean something faster, smaller and less buggy
    >>than my recollection of M$ windoze bloatware unless their newer
    >>OS solved all the earlier versions ( 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP ...)
    >>quirks :}
    >>
    >>I was looking for something different /fun/interesting to play
    >>with on the old notebook. Does not need to be commercially
    >>supported or have a large pool of commercial app knock offs.
    >>
    >>thanks for any helpful advice,
    >>
    >>robb
    >>
    >>sorry sci.elec.misc group but you guys seem to do this stuff
    >>alot and you have been helpful in that past
    >>

    > There are several 'small' forms of LINUX from the tiny upwards, some
    > of which will (supposedly) run from a CD without actually installing
    > them on the PC. The mag. freebies often include one or more versions,
    > but a web search should bring up something useful.

    I have clients that use live CD's and nothing else. No hard drive at
    all, the data is stored on the central server.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Dec 3, 2008
  4. John

    Eeyore Guest

    Baron wrote:

    > I have clients that use live CD's and nothing else. No hard drive at
    > all, the data is stored on the central server.

    Server ? Who said he had a server ?

    Graham

    Eeyore, Dec 4, 2008
  5. John

    Baron Guest

    Eeyore Inscribed thus:

    > Baron wrote:
    >
    >> I have clients that use live CD's and nothing else. No hard drive at
    >> all

    > Server ? Who said he had a server ?
    >
    > Graham

    If you didn't snip the context then it would be obvious !

    --
    Best Reagrds:
    Baron.

    Baron, Dec 4, 2008