Re: the better OS to use for older hardware ?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John Holmes, Dec 1, 2008.

  1. John Holmes

    John Holmes Guest

    robb "contributed" in alt.computer:

    > I have not been keeping up with hardware and OS changes of late
    > (3 yrs... ok 8 yrs) and i was wondering if there is a better OS
    > to install on older hardware.
    >
    > Eg Dell inspiron 8100 PIII/866 Mhz
    >
    > and by better i mean something faster, smaller and less buggy
    > than my recollection of M$ windoze bloatware unless their newer
    > OS solved all the earlier versions ( 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP ...)
    > quirks :}
    >
    > I was looking for something different /fun/interesting to play
    > with on the old notebook. Does not need to be commercially
    > supported or have a large pool of commercial app knock offs.
    >
    > thanks for any helpful advice,
    >
    > robb
    >
    > sorry sci.elec.misc group but you guys seem to do this stuff
    > alot and you have been helpful in that past

    MS-DOS would be a good choice for that outdated hardware.

    HTH

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Dec 1, 2008

  2. John Holmes

    Eeyore Guest

    John Holmes wrote:

    > MS-DOS would be a good choice for that outdated hardware.

    I've 'recently' worked on a PC with a lower spec than that.

    Graham

    Eeyore, Dec 3, 2008