Re: the better OS to use for older hardware ?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by tony sayer, Nov 29, 2008.

  1. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, robb
    <> scribeth thus
    >I have not been keeping up with hardware and OS changes of late
    >(3 yrs... ok 8 yrs) and i was wondering if there is a better OS
    >to install on older hardware.
    >
    >Eg Dell inspiron 8100 PIII/866 Mhz
    >
    >and by better i mean something faster, smaller and less buggy
    >than my recollection of M$ windoze bloatware unless their newer
    >OS solved all the earlier versions ( 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP ...)
    >quirks :}
    >
    >I was looking for something different /fun/interesting to play
    >with on the old notebook. Does not need to be commercially
    >supported or have a large pool of commercial app knock offs.
    >
    >thanks for any helpful advice,
    >
    >robb
    >
    >sorry sci.elec.misc group but you guys seem to do this stuff
    >alot and you have been helpful in that past

    Try Ubuntu Linux, seems to work fine on a couple of old PC's here...
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Nov 29, 2008

  2. tony sayer

    Eeyore Guest

    tony sayer wrote:

    > Try Ubuntu Linux, seems to work fine on a couple of old PC's here...

    But beware it needs more RAM than they claim in some instances. Has me
    running round in circles until I installed an extra 128M.

    Graham

    Eeyore, Dec 3, 2008