Re: the better OS to use for older hardware ?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by T, Nov 29, 2008.

  1. T

    T Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I have not been keeping up with hardware and OS changes of late
    > (3 yrs... ok 8 yrs) and i was wondering if there is a better OS
    > to install on older hardware.
    >
    > Eg Dell inspiron 8100 PIII/866 Mhz
    >
    > and by better i mean something faster, smaller and less buggy
    > than my recollection of M$ windoze bloatware unless their newer
    > OS solved all the earlier versions ( 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP ...)
    > quirks :}
    >
    > I was looking for something different /fun/interesting to play
    > with on the old notebook. Does not need to be commercially
    > supported or have a large pool of commercial app knock offs.
    >
    > thanks for any helpful advice,
    >
    > robb
    >
    > sorry sci.elec.misc group but you guys seem to do this stuff
    > alot and you have been helpful in that past

    Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/

    Debian if you like CLI and KDE:
    http://www.debian.com/

    T, Nov 29, 2008

  2. T

    Eeyore Guest

    T wrote:

    > says...
    > > I have not been keeping up with hardware and OS changes of late
    > > (3 yrs... ok 8 yrs) and i was wondering if there is a better OS
    > > to install on older hardware.
    > >
    > > Eg Dell inspiron 8100 PIII/866 Mhz
    > >
    > > and by better i mean something faster, smaller and less buggy
    > > than my recollection of M$ windoze bloatware unless their newer
    > > OS solved all the earlier versions ( 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP ...)
    > > quirks :}
    > >
    > > I was looking for something different /fun/interesting to play
    > > with on the old notebook. Does not need to be commercially
    > > supported or have a large pool of commercial app knock offs.
    > >
    > > thanks for any helpful advice,
    > >
    > > sorry sci.elec.misc group but you guys seem to do this stuff
    > > alot and you have been helpful in that past

    > Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/

    Don't try installing if you have < 384MB of RAM.

    Graham

    Eeyore, Dec 3, 2008