Re: THE BEST KEPT SECRETS OF THE COMPUTER UNDERGROUND

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by CyberDroog, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. CyberDroog

    CyberDroog Guest

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 06:58:33 -0400, "mto" <>
    wrote:

    >"CyberDroog" <DoILookLikeIWantSpam?@duh.net> wrote in message
    ><SNIP>>
    >> A copyright notice, and then she posts it on Usenet making it public
    >> domain...
    >>

    >Please don't perpetuate mythology!
    >
    >Posting to Usenet does not invalidate copyright nor place anything whatever
    >(including this) in the public domain unless specifically so stated in terms
    >such as "Released to the public domain."
    >
    >Note that under DMCA an author's writings do not have to be accompanied by a
    >specific copyright notice, nor do they have to be registered with the
    >copyright office. Copyright law applies at the moment of composition - even
    >to Usenet.

    Yes, copyrights are automatic. But try and enforce a copyright on anything
    you post on Usenet. I just quoted what you wrote, for instance. And Usenet
    is a large, distributed database.

    I bet dollars to dimes that any court will rule that Usenet is more
    comparable to speech than publishing.

    --
    APPEAL, v.t. In law, to put the dice into the box for another throw.

    - Ambrose Bierce
    CyberDroog, Aug 12, 2003