    those who can't afford the thinnest margins are going to go to the wall.

    This means the Windows models, with their USD30 or so extra licence cost,
    are likely to be among the first casualties.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2008

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/10/20/nec-prepares-netbook
    >>> Yet another "tiny" notebook....

    >> Getting crowded. There's bound to be a shakeout over the coming months,
    >> and those who can't afford the thinnest margins are going to go to the
    >> wall.
    >>
    >> This means the Windows models, with their USD30 or so extra licence cost,
    >> are likely to be among the first casualties.

    > Bet its the Linux ones actually...its all about numbers...

    Asus, currently the dominant netbook maker, are shipping Linux on 40% of
    their Eees, so the numbers are not heavily enough in Windows' favour to
    give it enough of an advantage to offset its higher cost.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, thing2 wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/10/20/nec-prepares-netbook
    >>> Yet another "tiny" notebook....

    >> Getting crowded. There's bound to be a shakeout over the coming months,
    >> and
    >> those who can't afford the thinnest margins are going to go to the wall.
    >>
    >> This means the Windows models, with their USD30 or so extra licence cost,
    >> are likely to be among the first casualties.

    > Bet its the Linux ones actually...its all about numbers...

    Yes, 6 months after launching the EEE, Asus had only moved 700,000
    Linux-based machines toward its goal of 5 million. That won't cut it, and so
    Asus has opted to feature Windows XP on all its newer models.

    impossible, Oct 22, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > Yes, 6 months after launching the EEE, Asus had only moved 700,000
    > Linux-based machines toward its goal of 5 million. That won't cut it,
    > and so Asus has opted to feature Windows XP on all its newer models.

    As these machines are only suitable to most as a second computer it
    makes sense to me that initially the general population were hesitant
    that a different operating system would do all they needed. It takes
    time for new things to be accepted, even vista didnt just start to sell
    overnight in massive numbers.

    If you get the windows one do you get recovery media for linux as well?

    Richard, Oct 22, 2008
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message news:gdlvpu$32u$...
    > impossible wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, 6 months after launching the EEE, Asus had only moved 700,000
    >> Linux-based machines toward its goal of 5 million. That won't cut it, and
    >> so Asus has opted to feature Windows XP on all its newer models.

    > As these machines are only suitable to most as a second computer it makes
    > sense to me that initially the general population were hesitant that a
    > different operating system would do all they needed.

    Nah, people were initially buying EEEs because they were cheap and
    "different" -- but those were crippled machines (tiny screens and keyboards
    best suited for children, which happened to be Asus's intended market). So
    no one really paid much attention to the os (except for the nixophiles, of
    course).

    > It takes time for new things to be accepted, even vista didnt just start
    > to sell overnight in massive numbers.

    Yes, I've been hearing how long it might take for Linux to catch on -- for
    10 years. Any predictions?

    www.asus.com

    impossible, Oct 22, 2008
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/10/20/nec-prepares-netbook

    >>> Bet its the Linux ones actually...its all about numbers...

    >> Asus, currently the dominant netbook maker, are shipping Linux on 40% of
    >> their Eees, so the numbers are not heavily enough in Windows' favour to
    >> give it enough of an advantage to offset its higher cost.

    > I think the EEE etc fall between a cell phone where no one really cares
    > what the underlying OS (yes ok some do) is and a full laptop where XP it
    > the choice...however looking at the tiny price difference between XP and
    > Linux based units I am wondering if MS is throwing XP at the manufacturers
    > for almost free........otherwise even $50 for an OS is a lot on a sub-note
    > thats <$600...We dont really know the deals being done behind the scenes
    > that make Linux "appear" no cheaper than XP, MS has done such deals in the
    > past to defend its market share.

    It's called a price-cut. When you sell hundreds of millions of copies of
    your operating system, you can afford to do that in niche markets.

    > With NEC etc jumping in there must be a decent market with a good margin
    > though (I still think they are over-priced myself)...

    Everyone is upscaling the design and charging more. Nothing new there.

    impossible, Oct 23, 2008
  7. In message <48ff6ac8$>, thingy wrote:

    > With NEC etc jumping in there must be a decent market with a good margin
    > though ...

    Careful with that kind of semi-circular reasoning. You know how sheep-like
    companies can be sometimes...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 24, 2008
  8. In message <48ff6ac8$>, thingy wrote:

    > ...however looking at the tiny price difference between XP and
    > Linux based units I am wondering if MS is throwing XP at the
    > manufacturers for almost free...

    And it's having a major impact on their bottom line
    <http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/corporate/microsoft_q1_2009_by_the_numbers_1.html>:

    Microsoft license revenue is lower for netbooks, mainly because of
    Windows XP Home. As netbook demand increases, Microsoft's OEM revenue
    goes down. Netbooks accounted for about 5 percent of notebook shipments
    in third calendar quarter, according to Gartner. But, today, Chris said
    that in mature markets, netbooks added about 8 percent PC shipment
    growth. Whoa! That's a huge number.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 24, 2008