Re: That DELL Computer FIXED

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Squiggle, Oct 14, 2008.

  1. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:

    > Well after paying around with a lot of Utile's, most are not any good, and totally unreliable, but
    > Bootmaster was showing a damage Primary boot sector, lot of garbage, and displayed the Backup one
    > that was ok, but its not freeware, and it did not report this.
    >
    > Plus I noticed some software tools showed spare sectors at the end of the HD drive, this were the
    > backup Boot sector it held, NTFS File system that is, listed some 7-8megs.
    >
    > Run all the Dell diagnostics from the Hard Drive as they ware still in tacked, then booted the XP
    > CD and run the Recovery Command Console and did a Fixboot, now all is OK.
    >

    > One thing that I have noticed that the hard drive seems to be running most of the time, HD led
    > constantly flickering, so will have to get some Virus software onto this PC, but that will have to
    > wait till I can get a Admin Password.
    >

    > The only task that was using the CPU 3% was Ad-aware, that I will have to find out, as it was set
    > to run at boot up..
    >
    > So I took my time and worked it out, thanks to all of my past Computer training, Computer Hacking.,
    > Admiralty Training and Quality control training, yes I have done nearly every thing. -:)

    Pity you couldn't actually just bite the bullet and use a linux live cd.
    dd is a wonderful tool for backing up data, and with loopback mounting
    of files its not exactly challenging to recover data. Full read and
    write support of NTFS too.

    Of, and if you need to reset the admin password on a windows box EBCD
    contain a linux tool that edits the windows registry and can set/reset
    admin passwords in about a minute.
    Squiggle, Oct 14, 2008

  2. Squiggle

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    > OZZY Boy wrote:
    >>
    >> Well after paying around with a lot of Utile's, most are not any good,
    >> and totally unreliable, but
    >> Bootmaster was showing a damage Primary boot sector, lot of garbage, and
    >> displayed the Backup one
    >> that was ok, but its not freeware, and it did not report this.
    >>
    >> Plus I noticed some software tools showed spare sectors at the end of the
    >> HD drive, this were the
    >> backup Boot sector it held, NTFS File system that is, listed some
    >> 7-8megs.
    >>
    >> Run all the Dell diagnostics from the Hard Drive as they ware still in
    >> tacked, then booted the XP
    >> CD and run the Recovery Command Console and did a Fixboot, now all is
    >> OK.
    >>

    >> One thing that I have noticed that the hard drive seems to be running
    >> most of the time, HD led
    >> constantly flickering, so will have to get some Virus software onto this
    >> PC, but that will have to
    >> wait till I can get a Admin Password.
    >>

    >> The only task that was using the CPU 3% was Ad-aware, that I will have
    >> to find out, as it was set
    >> to run at boot up..
    >>
    >> So I took my time and worked it out, thanks to all of my past Computer
    >> training, Computer Hacking.,
    >> Admiralty Training and Quality control training, yes I have done nearly
    >> every thing. -:)
    >>

    > Pity you couldn't actually just bite the bullet and use a linux live cd.
    > dd is a wonderful tool for backing up data, and with loopback mounting
    > of files its not exactly challenging to recover data. Full read and
    > write support of NTFS too.
    >
    > Of, and if you need to reset the admin password on a windows box EBCD
    > contain a linux tool that edits the windows registry and can set/reset
    > admin passwords in about a minute.

    Despite Woger's wealth of knowledge and experience... Going by the very
    basic questions he asks in here, he wouldn't have a clue about that...
    Tony in Oz, Oct 14, 2008

  3. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:34:00 +1300, Squiggle <> wrote:
    >
    >> OZZY Boy wrote:
    >>> Well after paying around with a lot of Utile's, most are not any good, and totally unreliable, but
    >>> Bootmaster was showing a damage Primary boot sector, lot of garbage, and displayed the Backup one
    >>> that was ok, but its not freeware, and it did not report this.
    >>>
    >>> Plus I noticed some software tools showed spare sectors at the end of the HD drive, this were the
    >>> backup Boot sector it held, NTFS File system that is, listed some 7-8megs.
    >>>
    >>> Run all the Dell diagnostics from the Hard Drive as they ware still in tacked, then booted the XP
    >>> CD and run the Recovery Command Console and did a Fixboot, now all is OK.
    >>>

    >>> One thing that I have noticed that the hard drive seems to be running most of the time, HD led
    >>> constantly flickering, so will have to get some Virus software onto this PC, but that will have to
    >>> wait till I can get a Admin Password.
    >>>

    >>> The only task that was using the CPU 3% was Ad-aware, that I will have to find out, as it was set
    >>> to run at boot up..
    >>>
    >>> So I took my time and worked it out, thanks to all of my past Computer training, Computer Hacking.,
    >>> Admiralty Training and Quality control training, yes I have done nearly every thing. -:)
    >>>

    >> Pity you couldn't actually just bite the bullet and use a linux live cd.
    >> dd is a wonderful tool for backing up data, and with loopback mounting
    >> of files its not exactly challenging to recover data. Full read and
    >> write support of NTFS too.
    >>
    >> Of, and if you need to reset the admin password on a windows box EBCD
    >> contain a linux tool that edits the windows registry and can set/reset
    >> admin passwords in about a minute.

    > But EBCD is Not FREE Plus its CD, takes me some 3-4 days to dnload a CD..

    EBCD pro 0.61, about 18MB, but it appears the domain name has expired
    and been taken over by a russian free-parking site.
    Squiggle, Oct 14, 2008
  4. In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:

    > No I am a Anti Lunix chap, Plus NO Support and very liite good stuff
    > works with it, far to limited..

    So, what sort of support did you get for solving your Dimdows problem?

    And what sort of "good stuff" are you so keen on running under Dimdows?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 15, 2008