Re: text file search to text file output possible?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Whiskers, Oct 7, 2006.

  1. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-10-06, richard <> wrote:
    > I'm on a massive database kick and need to know what programs will allow me
    > to:
    > search a standard text file like in notepad.
    > Then transfer that entire line of data into a new text file.
    >
    > For instance, I have fields which are only seperated by commas, name,
    > city,state,zip.
    > Each field contains an = and single quotes around the data.
    > I need to retrieve the entire line of data and sort it by state.
    > Doing it manually with copy and paste will take me several months.
    >
    > I could do it in BASIC but I would prefer the program to run with windows.
    > I know one option might be Liberty Basic.
    > If anyone has other ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

    In the days of DOS, the 'find' and 'sort' commands could do exactly that;
    incorporate them into a batch file that does the whole thing, then run the
    batch file. DOS is greatly under-rated.

    I don't know what the 'command line' tools in Windows are like.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Oct 7, 2006

  2. Whiskers

    richard Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-10-06, richard <> wrote:
    >> I'm on a massive database kick and need to know what programs will allow
    >> me
    >> to:
    >> search a standard text file like in notepad.
    >> Then transfer that entire line of data into a new text file.
    >>
    >> For instance, I have fields which are only seperated by commas, name,
    >> city,state,zip.
    >> Each field contains an = and single quotes around the data.
    >> I need to retrieve the entire line of data and sort it by state.
    >> Doing it manually with copy and paste will take me several months.
    >>
    >> I could do it in BASIC but I would prefer the program to run with
    >> windows.
    >> I know one option might be Liberty Basic.
    >> If anyone has other ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

    > In the days of DOS, the 'find' and 'sort' commands could do exactly that;
    > incorporate them into a batch file that does the whole thing, then run the
    > batch file. DOS is greatly under-rated.
    >
    > I don't know what the 'command line' tools in Windows are like.

    yeah I know. But XP doesn't include DOS.
    richard, Oct 7, 2006

  3. Whiskers

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 11:24:28 -0600, "richard" <> wrote:

    >yeah I know. But XP doesn't include DOS.

    It doesn't include DOS, but includes damn near every tool I ever used
    back in the DOS days.
    Evan Platt, Oct 7, 2006
  4. Whiskers

    thanatoid Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 11:24:28 -0600, "richard" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>yeah I know. But XP doesn't include DOS.

    > It doesn't include DOS, but includes damn near every tool I
    > ever used back in the DOS days.

    Isn't there like a 500 MB DOS emulator in XP? (That's what I
    read somewhere).

    Anyway, the OP can install real DOS on another partition or in a
    separate DOS directory and do his stuff there (if there is a
    boot menu in XP, I don't know - if there isn't, he can get one
    off the net).

    The DOS command itself was provided by someone yesterday or so.
    thanatoid, Oct 7, 2006