Re: Testing DDR2 RAM Module using Memtest86

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pg, Jan 27, 2008.

  1. pg

    pg Guest

    On Jan 26, 10:18 am, spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    > pg wrote:
    > > There are two types of memtest86 out there that you can use to stress
    > > test your DDR2 RAM modules.

    > > You can download them from

    > > www.memtest86.com/download.html

    > > www.memtest.org/#downis

    > > My machine is less than 3 month old, it has 4 GB (4 X 1GB of DDR2 800
    > > RAM Modules) of memory. Lately, however, I start to get error message
    > > somehow. So I download those thing, and put them to test my DDR2 RAM
    > > modules.

    > > Wow ! Errors everywhere !

    > > All the four RAM modules failed ! Talk about luck, or rather, lack of
    > > it.

    > > The RAM module all came with "lifetime warranty", but I get all 4
    > > modules failed (all same brand, same speed rating, etc), I think it's
    > > better that I go buy 4 more of a different brand.

    > > Anyone got recommendation on which brand of DDR2 modules that pass the
    > > 2 memtest86 test listed above?

    > > Thanks !

    > Or your motherboard is dying...
    >
    > Ari

    Thanks for your input. As my message to Paul, I ran the test using
    several motherboards of different brand names. Modules still giving
    errors.

    Any suggestion as to which brand name(s) of RAM modules that you think
    are of the better quality ?

    Thanks again !
    pg, Jan 27, 2008

  2. pg

    sdlomi2 Guest

    "pg" <> wrote in message
    > On Jan 26, 10:18 am, spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    >> pg wrote:
    >> > There are two types of memtest86 out there that you can use to stress
    >> > test your DDR2 RAM modules.

    >> > You can download them from

    >> > www.memtest86.com/download.html

    >> > www.memtest.org/#downis

    >> > My machine is less than 3 month old, it has 4 GB (4 X 1GB of DDR2 800
    >> > RAM Modules) of memory. Lately, however, I start to get error message
    >> > somehow. So I download those thing, and put them to test my DDR2 RAM
    >> > modules.

    >> > Wow ! Errors everywhere !

    >> > All the four RAM modules failed ! Talk about luck, or rather, lack of
    >> > it.

    >> > The RAM module all came with "lifetime warranty", but I get all 4
    >> > modules failed (all same brand, same speed rating, etc), I think it's
    >> > better that I go buy 4 more of a different brand.

    >> > Anyone got recommendation on which brand of DDR2 modules that pass the
    >> > 2 memtest86 test listed above?

    >> > Thanks !

    >> Or your motherboard is dying...
    >>
    >> Ari

    > Thanks for your input. As my message to Paul, I ran the test using
    > several motherboards of different brand names. Modules still giving
    > errors.
    >
    > Any suggestion as to which brand name(s) of RAM modules that you think
    > are of the better quality ?
    >
    > Thanks again !
    >.0

    Pg, I think most of us would agree that you'd likely not go wrong if you
    used Crucial ram, determining your specific need from their on-site methods.
    HTH, s
    sdlomi2, Jan 27, 2008

  3. pg

    spodosaurus Guest

    sdlomi2 wrote:
    > "pg" <> wrote in message
    >>> Or your motherboard is dying...
    >>>
    >>> Ari

    >> Thanks for your input. As my message to Paul, I ran the test using
    >> several motherboards of different brand names. Modules still giving
    >> errors.
    >>
    >> Any suggestion as to which brand name(s) of RAM modules that you think
    >> are of the better quality ?
    >>
    >> Thanks again !
    >> .0

    > Pg, I think most of us would agree that you'd likely not go wrong if you
    > used Crucial ram, determining your specific need from their on-site methods.
    > HTH, s

    I agree.
    spodosaurus, Jan 27, 2008
  4. pg

    Bob M Guest

    pg wrote:
    > On Jan 26, 10:18 am, spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    >> pg wrote:
    >>> There are two types of memtest86 out there that you can use to stress
    >>> test your DDR2 RAM modules.
    >>> You can download them from
    >>> www.memtest86.com/download.html
    >>> www.memtest.org/#downis
    >>> My machine is less than 3 month old, it has 4 GB (4 X 1GB of DDR2 800
    >>> RAM Modules) of memory. Lately, however, I start to get error message
    >>> somehow. So I download those thing, and put them to test my DDR2 RAM
    >>> modules.
    >>> Wow ! Errors everywhere !
    >>> All the four RAM modules failed ! Talk about luck, or rather, lack of
    >>> it.
    >>> The RAM module all came with "lifetime warranty", but I get all 4
    >>> modules failed (all same brand, same speed rating, etc), I think it's
    >>> better that I go buy 4 more of a different brand.
    >>> Anyone got recommendation on which brand of DDR2 modules that pass the
    >>> 2 memtest86 test listed above?
    >>> Thanks !

    >> Or your motherboard is dying...
    >>
    >> Ari

    > Thanks for your input. As my message to Paul, I ran the test using
    > several motherboards of different brand names. Modules still giving
    > errors.
    >
    > Any suggestion as to which brand name(s) of RAM modules that you think
    > are of the better quality ?
    >
    > Thanks again !

    Test your PSU before sending the RAM back. If the PSU is good and
    powerful enough then you probably have bad RAM. I have seen failing or
    "cheap" PSU's cause memory problems before.

    Bob
    Bob M, Jan 27, 2008