Re: Testing DDR2 RAM Module using Memtest86

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pg, Jan 27, 2008.

  1. pg

    pg Guest

    On Jan 26, 6:27 am, Paul <> wrote:
    > pg wrote:
    > > There are two types of memtest86 out there that you can use to stress
    > > test your DDR2 RAM modules.

    > > You can download them from

    > > www.memtest86.com/download.html

    > > www.memtest.org/#downis

    > > My machine is less than 3 month old, it has 4 GB (4 X 1GB of DDR2 800
    > > RAM Modules) of memory. Lately, however, I start to get error message
    > > somehow. So I download those thing, and put them to test my DDR2 RAM
    > > modules.

    > > Wow ! Errors everywhere !

    > > All the four RAM modules failed ! Talk about luck, or rather, lack of
    > > it.

    > > The RAM module all came with "lifetime warranty", but I get all 4
    > > modules failed (all same brand, same speed rating, etc), I think it's
    > > better that I go buy 4 more of a different brand.

    > > Anyone got recommendation on which brand of DDR2 modules that pass the
    > > 2 memtest86 test listed above?

    > > Thanks !

    > Did you test the modules one at a time ?

    First run, all at once. Got errors all over the place.

    After that, run the test, one module at a time. Still got errors,
    every each one of them.

    > Were you running the modules at stock speed and timing ?

    Yes. I even try to run them at reduced speed - the modules are clocked
    for 800, and I tried running them at speed of 667 and even at 553.
    Still giving errors !

    I tried them on different machines, using different motherboards.
    Errors !

    > Did you increase Vdimm above the stock 1.8V ? Some modules
    > need a bit more voltage to function well. Voltage tuning
    > is a normal part of DDR2 ownership.

    I run the DDR2 according to the specs - afraid that if I increase the
    voltage, the modules may overheat and got damaged. Will try to do
    that, and will run the test again. Thanks for your suggestion !

    > If all modules still give errors, even with extra
    > voltage, I would suspect the motherboard.

    > Paul

    I run the test using different motherboards, with different brand
    names - foxxconn, asus, abit and msi.

    That is why I'm looking for new RAM modules. Any suggestion ?

    Thanks !

    pg, Jan 27, 2008

  2. pg

    Paul Guest

    pg wrote:

    > I run the test using different motherboards, with different brand
    > names - foxxconn, asus, abit and msi.
    >
    > That is why I'm looking for new RAM modules. Any suggestion ?
    >
    > Thanks !

    The normal voltage for DDR2 is 1.8V. You can easily run
    the modules at 2.0V without a problem, to see if the
    error rate drops. That is probably what the module
    is looking for, is a little help on the Vdimm.

    To spot good memory, try reading the reviews for each item here.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Subcategory=147&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

    For example, the customers didn't like this one.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820141017

    By comparison, this stuff got a better rating.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820161677&Pagesize=100

    Some of the reviews may even mention how much voltage
    they needed to get them to run well.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 27, 2008

  3. pg

    pg Guest

    On Jan 26, 6:58 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > pg wrote:
    >
    > > I run the test using different motherboards, with different brand
    > > names - foxxconn, asus, abit and msi.

    > > That is why I'm looking for new RAM modules. Any suggestion ?

    > > Thanks !

    > The normal voltage for DDR2 is 1.8V. You can easily run
    > the modules at 2.0V without a problem, to see if the
    > error rate drops. That is probably what the module
    > is looking for, is a little help on the Vdimm.

    Thanks ! I'll try that !!

    > To spot good memory, try reading the reviews for each item here.
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=201017014...
    >
    > For example, the customers didn't like this one.
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820141017
    >
    > By comparison, this stuff got a better rating.
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820161677...
    >
    > Some of the reviews may even mention how much voltage
    > they needed to get them to run well.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks again for the info !! You're a big help !!!!

    pg, Jan 27, 2008
  4. pg wrote:

    > I run the test using different motherboards, with different brand
    > names - foxxconn, asus, abit and msi.
    >
    > That is why I'm looking for new RAM modules. Any suggestion ?

    If you don't live near a store that's very tolerant of multiple
    exchanges of bad RAM, avoid modules whose chips that lack the actual
    chip maker's full part number markings, the kind that, when Googled,
    turn up data sheets containing tons of timing specifications. One
    way to get the right modules is to buy Crucial/Micron, whose modules
    almost always have either Micron- or Samsung-marked chips.

    Test modules not just alone but also together because some will test
    fine by themselves but show tons of errors when run with 2-3 other
    modules. A month ago, I had to go through three sets of OCZ paired
    modules until I found a pair that didn't have bad bits in one of its
    modules.

    larry moe 'n curly, Jan 27, 2008
  5. pg

    Rôgêr Guest

    larry moe 'n curly wrote:

    > bad bits in one of its modules.

    I hate it when I get bad bits in my modules.
    --
    But I can usually use a toothpick afterwards.

    Rôgêr, Jan 27, 2008
  6. pg

    Fred Kasner Guest

    pg wrote:
    > On Jan 26, 6:27 am, Paul <> wrote:
    >> pg wrote:
    >>> There are two types of memtest86 out there that you can use to stress
    >>> test your DDR2 RAM modules.
    >>> You can download them from
    >>> www.memtest86.com/download.html
    >>> www.memtest.org/#downis
    >>> My machine is less than 3 month old, it has 4 GB (4 X 1GB of DDR2 800
    >>> RAM Modules) of memory. Lately, however, I start to get error message
    >>> somehow. So I download those thing, and put them to test my DDR2 RAM
    >>> modules.
    >>> Wow ! Errors everywhere !
    >>> All the four RAM modules failed ! Talk about luck, or rather, lack of
    >>> it.
    >>> The RAM module all came with "lifetime warranty", but I get all 4
    >>> modules failed (all same brand, same speed rating, etc), I think it's
    >>> better that I go buy 4 more of a different brand.
    >>> Anyone got recommendation on which brand of DDR2 modules that pass the
    >>> 2 memtest86 test listed above?
    >>> Thanks !

    >> Did you test the modules one at a time ?

    > First run, all at once. Got errors all over the place.
    >
    > After that, run the test, one module at a time. Still got errors,
    > every each one of them.
    >
    >> Were you running the modules at stock speed and timing ?

    > Yes. I even try to run them at reduced speed - the modules are clocked
    > for 800, and I tried running them at speed of 667 and even at 553.
    > Still giving errors !
    >
    > I tried them on different machines, using different motherboards.
    > Errors !
    >
    >> Did you increase Vdimm above the stock 1.8V ? Some modules
    >> need a bit more voltage to function well. Voltage tuning
    >> is a normal part of DDR2 ownership.

    > I run the DDR2 according to the specs - afraid that if I increase the
    > voltage, the modules may overheat and got damaged. Will try to do
    > that, and will run the test again. Thanks for your suggestion !
    >
    >> If all modules still give errors, even with extra
    >> voltage, I would suspect the motherboard.

    >> Paul

    > I run the test using different motherboards, with different brand
    > names - foxxconn, asus, abit and msi.
    >
    > That is why I'm looking for new RAM modules. Any suggestion ?
    >
    > Thanks !

    My problem was just the reverse. One of my new RAM units (three new 500
    GB units) failed on boot up or shortly after. Found out which one it
    was. Tested the unit it passed. Tested it in each slot. Tested with
    other RAM units. Passed the tests (ran for about 30 minutes at full
    rated speed.) Replaced the unit that gave blue screen of death and all
    was well. Go figure! Note it can't be ths hardware slot since the tests
    work.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Jan 27, 2008