    Your newsreader seem to work. Now, how about your sound card?

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Jul 20, 2010

  2. John Holmes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 23:41:09 +0200, John Holmes wrote:

    > Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> Solaris 10

    > Your newsreader seem to work. Now, how about your sound card?

    Haven't fucked with it yet.

    Meat Plow, Jul 20, 2010

  3. John Holmes

    John Holmes Guest

    Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 23:41:09 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> Solaris 10

    >> Your newsreader seem to work. Now, how about your sound card?

    > Haven't fucked with it yet.

    You haven't? On my system, Ubuntu was a big piece of shit to get it
    working. Gentoo? No dice. RedHat, sUse, Fedora, all crap. I got it
    working in Slack.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Jul 20, 2010
  4. John Holmes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 00:11:15 +0200, John Holmes wrote:

    > Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 23:41:09 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >>
    >>> Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> Your newsreader seem to work. Now, how about your sound card?

    >> Haven't fucked with it yet.
    >>

    > You haven't? On my system, Ubuntu was a big piece of shit to get it
    > working. Gentoo? No dice. RedHat, sUse, Fedora, all crap. I got it
    > working in Slack.

    I've got other fish to fry first before I tackle sound. It worked ok with
    OpenSolaris But 5.10 is a bit different. I'm just trying to waste some
    time and further my education anyways. I might try 5.10 in Win 7 Oracle VB
    too. I like to be able to test this shit out without a permanent
    commitment.

    Meat Plow, Jul 20, 2010
  5. John Holmes

    John Holmes Guest

    Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 00:11:15 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> Haven't fucked with it yet.
    >>>

    >> You haven't? On my system, Ubuntu was a big piece of shit to get it
    >> working. Gentoo? No dice. RedHat, sUse, Fedora, all crap. I got it
    >> working in Slack.

    > I've got other fish to fry first before I tackle sound. It worked ok
    > with OpenSolaris But 5.10 is a bit different. I'm just trying to waste
    > some time and further my education anyways. I might try 5.10 in Win 7
    > Oracle VB too. I like to be able to test this shit out without a
    > permanent commitment.

    Let me know the score. I always found getting sound to work in *nix a
    bitch.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Jul 20, 2010
  6. John Holmes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 00:42:34 +0200, John Holmes wrote:

    > Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 00:11:15 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >>
    >>> Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> You haven't? On my system, Ubuntu was a big piece of shit to get it
    >>> working. Gentoo? No dice. RedHat, sUse, Fedora, all crap. I got it
    >>> working in Slack.

    >> I've got other fish to fry first before I tackle sound. It worked ok
    >> with OpenSolaris But 5.10 is a bit different. I'm just trying to waste
    >> some time and further my education anyways. I might try 5.10 in Win 7
    >> Oracle VB too. I like to be able to test this shit out without a
    >> permanent commitment.
    >>

    > Let me know the score. I always found getting sound to work in *nix a
    > bitch.

    Best card unfortunately is an old ISA Sound Blaster 16. The newer nix
    flavors are catching up slowly with PnP stuff but still woefully
    inadequate. Solaris 10 uses a funny mix of Gnome and Java for a desktop
    environment. Or you can use the CDE. I think Solaris 10 is perfect for an
    enterprise solution and it comes with a full suite of A/V apps. Flash
    video from Youtube was smooth and glitch-free even at full screen. NVidia
    support was also present as are 2 and 3D acceleration.

    For what I do, Solaris would be an easy migration to. Would have to see
    if I could get Pan to compile on it or use Oracle VM box on it and install
    Puppy Linux inside just for Pan. Fun stuff for sure.

    Meat Plow, Jul 21, 2010
  7. John Holmes wrote:
    > Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 00:11:15 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >>
    >>> Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> You haven't? On my system, Ubuntu was a big piece of shit to get it
    >>> working. Gentoo? No dice. RedHat, sUse, Fedora, all crap. I got it
    >>> working in Slack.

    >> I've got other fish to fry first before I tackle sound. It worked ok
    >> with OpenSolaris But 5.10 is a bit different. I'm just trying to waste
    >> some time and further my education anyways. I might try 5.10 in Win 7
    >> Oracle VB too. I like to be able to test this shit out without a
    >> permanent commitment.
    >>

    > Let me know the score. I always found getting sound to work in *nix a
    > bitch.

    Sheeeeeeeeeeit...you two ladygurls dont know what PITA *is*.
    Try getting BeOS or Haiku to work on...well...just about anything!

    <spits>

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 21, 2010
  8. John Holmes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 08:27:11 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

    > Sheeeeeeeeeeit...you two ladygurls dont know what PITA *is*. Try getting
    > BeOS or Haiku to work on...well...just about anything!

    I installed Be back in 2000, everything worked. Didn't **** with that
    idiotic Haiku. I have everything working in FreeBSD, OpenSolaris and
    haven't fucked with Solaris 10's sound yet. **** you and your ladygirl
    bullshit and get back to me when you've installed real operating systems
    like SCO, Novell, Solaris etc..as I have, bitch.

    Meat Plow, Jul 21, 2010
  9. John Holmes

    Anyone Guest

    John Holmes wrote on 20-Jul-10 15:11 ...
    > Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 23:41:09 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >>
    >>> Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> Your newsreader seem to work. Now, how about your sound card?

    >> Haven't fucked with it yet.
    >>

    > You haven't? On my system, Ubuntu was a big piece of shit to get it
    > working. Gentoo? No dice. RedHat, sUse, Fedora, all crap. I got it
    > working in Slack.

    The Fedora version actually works (pulse audio?), but coders only
    managed to deliver two settings -- ear-splitting blast and 'dead silence'.

    Anyone, Jul 21, 2010
  10. John Holmes

    John Holmes Guest

    Anyone "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > John Holmes wrote on 20-Jul-10 15:11 ...
    >> Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> Haven't fucked with it yet.
    >>>

    >> You haven't? On my system, Ubuntu was a big piece of shit to get it
    >> working. Gentoo? No dice. RedHat, sUse, Fedora, all crap. I got it
    >> working in Slack.

    > The Fedora version actually works (pulse audio?), but coders only
    > managed to deliver two settings -- ear-splitting blast and 'dead
    > silence'.

    That describes quite well what I meant. My test box is running Slack
    right now, and I managed to get everything to work *reasonably* properly.
    Even Skype works now.

    ;-)
    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Jul 21, 2010
  11. John Holmes

    Anyone Guest

    John Holmes wrote on 21-Jul-10 10:50 ...
    > Anyone "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> John Holmes wrote on 20-Jul-10 15:11 ...
    >>> Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> You haven't? On my system, Ubuntu was a big piece of shit to get it
    >>> working. Gentoo? No dice. RedHat, sUse, Fedora, all crap. I got it
    >>> working in Slack.

    >> The Fedora version actually works (pulse audio?), but coders only
    >> managed to deliver two settings -- ear-splitting blast and 'dead
    >> silence'.
    >>

    > That describes quite well what I meant. My test box is running Slack
    > right now, and I managed to get everything to work *reasonably* properly.
    > Even Skype works now.
    >
    > ;-)

    It's probably worth a look, then. I do like Fedora -- can't really
    complain about a free alternate to Windows -- and things to seem to get
    better over time.

    Anyone, Jul 22, 2010
  12. John Holmes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 19:50:56 +0200, John Holmes wrote:

    > Anyone "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> John Holmes wrote on 20-Jul-10 15:11 ...
    >>> Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> You haven't? On my system, Ubuntu was a big piece of shit to get it
    >>> working. Gentoo? No dice. RedHat, sUse, Fedora, all crap. I got it
    >>> working in Slack.

    >> The Fedora version actually works (pulse audio?), but coders only
    >> managed to deliver two settings -- ear-splitting blast and 'dead
    >> silence'.
    >>

    > That describes quite well what I meant. My test box is running Slack
    > right now, and I managed to get everything to work *reasonably*
    > properly. Even Skype works now.
    >
    > ;-)

    On this new Asus M4A78T-E mobo with all this new hi-def, optical spdif
    7:1 audio gear built in, Mandriva 2010 can use it all and no additional
    setup was required. All use Pulse Audio subsytem.

    Meat Plow, Jul 22, 2010
  13. John Holmes

    Anyone Guest

    Meat Plow wrote on 22-Jul-10 06:56 ...
    > On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 19:50:56 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> John Holmes wrote on 20-Jul-10 15:11 ...

    >>> The Fedora version actually works (pulse audio?), but coders only
    >>> managed to deliver two settings -- ear-splitting blast and 'dead
    >>> silence'.
    >>>

    >> That describes quite well what I meant. My test box is running Slack
    >> right now, and I managed to get everything to work *reasonably*
    >> properly. Even Skype works now.
    >>
    >> ;-)

    > On this new Asus M4A78T-E mobo with all this new hi-def, optical spdif
    > 7:1 audio gear built in, Mandriva 2010 can use it all and no additional
    > setup was required. All use Pulse Audio subsytem.

    Mine (above) is circa 2008, and 'retail' audio system. It's entirely
    possible my 'only two settings' is about the best I can expect, at least
    for Linux.

    Anyone, Jul 23, 2010
  14. John Holmes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:25:55 -0700, Anyone wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote on 22-Jul-10 06:56 ...
    >> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 19:50:56 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> That describes quite well what I meant. My test box is running Slack
    >>> right now, and I managed to get everything to work *reasonably*
    >>> properly. Even Skype works now.
    >>>
    >>> ;-)

    >> On this new Asus M4A78T-E mobo with all this new hi-def, optical spdif
    >> 7:1 audio gear built in, Mandriva 2010 can use it all and no additional
    >> setup was required. All use Pulse Audio subsytem.

    > Mine (above) is circa 2008, and 'retail' audio system. It's entirely
    > possible my 'only two settings' is about the best I can expect, at least
    > for Linux.

    When I used linux for audio workstation I needed Jack and a low latency
    kernel. I had no problems with my M-Audio Delta 44 which is still in the
    new machine. I guess what it boils down to is what your intentions are.
    Do you want to hear a CD play? Decode playback for Flac, A.52
    blahblahblah.. Or are you interested in working with sounds, editing,
    encoding etc... The GStreamer backend framwork is a must these days for
    A/V in linux. Provides the proper codecs and plugins for just about
    everything. Make sure you have it installed.

    Meat Plow, Jul 23, 2010
  15. John Holmes

    Anyone Guest

    Meat Plow wrote on 23-Jul-10 07:42 ...
    > On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:25:55 -0700, Anyone wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow wrote on 22-Jul-10 06:56 ...

    >>> On this new Asus M4A78T-E mobo with all this new hi-def, optical spdif
    >>> 7:1 audio gear built in, Mandriva 2010 can use it all and no additional
    >>> setup was required. All use Pulse Audio subsytem.

    >> Mine (above) is circa 2008, and 'retail' audio system. It's entirely
    >> possible my 'only two settings' is about the best I can expect, at least
    >> for Linux.

    > When I used linux for audio workstation I needed Jack and a low latency
    > kernel. I had no problems with my M-Audio Delta 44 which is still in the
    > new machine. I guess what it boils down to is what your intentions are.
    > Do you want to hear a CD play? Decode playback for Flac, A.52
    > blahblahblah.. Or are you interested in working with sounds, editing,
    > encoding etc... The GStreamer backend framwork is a must these days for
    > A/V in linux. Provides the proper codecs and plugins for just about
    > everything. Make sure you have it installed.

    "One of these days...", and thanks.

    Anyone, Jul 23, 2010