Re: TelstraClear service in Tawa???

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Carl Elphick, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. Carl Elphick

    Carl Elphick Guest

    "Jason" <> wrote in message
    news:6PiTa.6590$...
    > It costs a LOT to build a cable network underground. More than rolling it
    > out over power poles. And all of Tawa is underground. I wouldn't hold your
    > breath waiting for it to happen.

    Is TelstraClear actually expanding the cable network at all at present?
    Their website is still talking about expanding into central/south auckland
    but far as I am aware nothing has come of it.
    Tho on a positive note the network techie I had here a few weeks ago says
    they are thinking about making the cable network digital soon (maybe to
    follow Foxtel?)
    Tho soon = end of the year, but I doubt that will happen.

    Carl Elphick, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Carl Elphick

    Keith Guest

    In article <0KOTa.7028$>,
    says...
    > Tho on a positive note the network techie I had here a few weeks ago says
    > they are thinking about making the cable network digital soon (maybe to
    > follow Foxtel?)

    Cable goes digital???????????????????????????????????

    Keith, Jul 25, 2003

  3. Carl Elphick

    Carl Elphick Guest

    "Keith" <> wrote in message
    > In article <0KOTa.7028$>,
    > says...
    > > Tho on a positive note the network techie I had here a few weeks ago

    says
    > > they are thinking about making the cable network digital soon (maybe to
    > > follow Foxtel?)

    > Cable goes digital???????????????????????????????????

    Yeah, so they can compress the signal harder, which also means lots and lots
    more channels being able to be put down the cable!

    Carl Elphick, Jul 25, 2003
  4. Carl Elphick

    Keith Guest

    In article <G14Ua.7205$>,
    says...

    > "Keith" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <0KOTa.7028$>,
    > > says...
    > > > Tho on a positive note the network techie I had here a few weeks ago

    > says
    > > > they are thinking about making the cable network digital soon (maybe to
    > > > follow Foxtel?)

    > > Cable goes digital???????????????????????????????????

    > Yeah, so they can compress the signal harder, which also means lots and lots
    > more channels being able to be put down the cable!

    I was attempting to be sarcastic :) Surely the Saturn fibre optic cable
    network is by definition already digital?

    Perhaps the techie was talking about some new transmission protocol
    thatenabled greater bandwidth?

    Keith, Jul 25, 2003
  5. On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:41:53 +1200, Keith <>
    wrote:

    >In article <G14Ua.7205$>,
    >says...
    >>
    >> "Keith" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <0KOTa.7028$>,
    >> > says...

    >> says
    >> >
    >> > Cable goes digital???????????????????????????????????

    >> Yeah, so they can compress the signal harder, which also means lots and lots
    >> more channels being able to be put down the cable!

    >I was attempting to be sarcastic :) Surely the Saturn fibre optic cable
    >network is by definition already digital?
    >
    >Perhaps the techie was talking about some new transmission protocol
    >thatenabled greater bandwidth?

    What is connected to subscribers properties is not fibre optic, it is
    coaxial cable and carries the TV programs as an analog signal. For
    cable internet the digital signal is modulated on a carrier, hence the
    cable modem. The fibre is used further up the chain to distribute the
    signal to your suburb.
    A cynic could make the case that their trumpeting about the use of
    fibre came out of the advertising agency.

    Regards
    Malcolm.

    Malcolm Moore, Jul 25, 2003