Re: TelstraClear ditches newsgroups

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by David Empson, Oct 21, 2008.

  1. David Empson

    David Empson Guest

    thing2 <> wrote:

    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "thing2" typed:

    > >> The problem is there is no where else to go...

    > > Actrix is still having trouble with it's usenet feed. Comparing it to
    > > x-privat it's missing about 15 - 20% of posts.

    And ironically, your post from x-privat is one that didn't make it to
    Actrix's news server. :)

    > > I hadn't bothered with the helpdesk until yesterday as they'd been
    > > informed. However, I figured that a week-and-a-half should have been
    > > long enough to sort it so rang them myself yesterday.

    I hadn't heard back from them, but I've been too busy to chase them up.

    > > The 'droid didn't know what was going on so put me on hold while he talked
    > > to someone with a brain. He came back and said, yes, there was a problem.
    > > They thought they'd got it fixed but something else has 'come up'. They're
    > > working on it.

    Thanks for the update.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Oct 21, 2008

  2. David Empson

    David Empson Guest

    Actrix newsgroups (was Re: TelstraClear ditches newsgroups)

    ~misfit~ <> wrote:

> [...]

    [snip]

    I think Actrix was missing a lot more than 15 to 20% of messages. In
    some groups I was missing more like 80% of messages.

    > Another update, I'm getting sick of broken threads in the hardware groups I
    > read and really can't be arsed moving them all to x-privat since the free
    > service has a 10MB / day limit and when I last moved a group and set to
    > 'download new posts' it hit the limit and locked me out for 24 hours. Also,
    > much as I appreciate a free feed, x-privat (free) is very slow.
    >
    > So.... I just got off the phone with Actrix, asked WTF is going on, told
    > them their NNTP server was a major consideration in my having my business
    > with them, if I have to pay for an NNTP service from elsewhere I'd be
    > reconsidering my ISP choice...
    >
    > They tell me (after putting me on hold while they go to confer with someone
    > who actually knows what's going on) that one of their upstream NNTP
    > providors has 'gone under'. For a while it seemed like they were just having
    > trouble but now they're out of business. They're trying to provision a new
    > NNTP feed at the right price but the negotiating process / setting up could
    > take another couple of weeks or so.
    >
    > Essentially I got a "it'll be fixed when / if it's fixed" feeling from the
    > conversation. Meantime I'll be transffering a group a day to x-privat
    > (maybe) or looking at options. I don't 'do' binaries, just want a reliable
    > text NNTP feed. It's highly unlikely that I'd use the 10MB / day max from
    > x-privat but the slowness does irk me somewhat and would be even more
    > vexatious if all my groups were through them I imagine..

    It suddenly got better today. In comp.sys.mac.system, I was getting a
    few messages per day. I've now got about 30 since late last night.

    I'm now seeing articles from two other upstream news servers
    (feeder1.news.weretis.net, and news.telesweet.net) in addtiion to what
    appears to be a faulty feed from ihug.

    It might not be perfect yet, but it is a lot better.
    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Oct 25, 2008

  3. David Empson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: Actrix newsgroups (was Re: TelstraClear ditches newsgroups)

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "David Empson" typed:

    > [snip]
    >
    > I think Actrix was missing a lot more than 15 to 20% of messages. In
    > some groups I was missing more like 80% of messages.
    >
    >> Another update, I'm getting sick of broken threads in the hardware
    >> groups I read and really can't be arsed moving them all to x-privat
    >> since the free service has a 10MB / day limit and when I last moved
    >> a group and set to 'download new posts' it hit the limit and locked
    >> me out for 24 hours. Also, much as I appreciate a free feed,
    >> x-privat (free) is very slow.
    >>
    >> So.... I just got off the phone with Actrix, asked WTF is going on,
    >> told them their NNTP server was a major consideration in my having
    >> my business with them, if I have to pay for an NNTP service from
    >> elsewhere I'd be reconsidering my ISP choice...
    >>
    >> They tell me (after putting me on hold while they go to confer with
    >> someone who actually knows what's going on) that one of their
    >> upstream NNTP providors has 'gone under'. For a while it seemed like
    >> they were just having trouble but now they're out of business.
    >> They're trying to provision a new NNTP feed at the right price but
    >> the negotiating process / setting up could take another couple of
    >> weeks or so.
    >>
    >> Essentially I got a "it'll be fixed when / if it's fixed" feeling
    >> from the conversation. Meantime I'll be transffering a group a day
    >> to x-privat (maybe) or looking at options. I don't 'do' binaries,
    >> just want a reliable text NNTP feed. It's highly unlikely that I'd
    >> use the 10MB / day max from x-privat but the slowness does irk me
    >> somewhat and would be even more vexatious if all my groups were
    >> through them I imagine..

    > It suddenly got better today. In comp.sys.mac.system, I was getting a
    > few messages per day. I've now got about 30 since late last night.
    >
    > I'm now seeing articles from two other upstream news servers
    > (feeder1.news.weretis.net, and news.telesweet.net) in addtiion to what
    > appears to be a faulty feed from ihug.
    >
    > It might not be perfect yet, but it is a lot better.

    Thanks heaps for that David, I have a couple groups subscribed through
    Actrix *and* another providor, with the Actrix one just downloading headers
    and I noticed last night that they downloaded similar numbers of posts (not
    quite identical but far better).

    Hopefully they've got it sussed. We shall see....

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 25, 2008