  1. RayC

    RayC Guest

    Paradise.net newsgroups unavailable as of posting date and time.

    about to ring the helpdesk about it.

    RayC, Oct 21, 2008

  2. RayC

    RayC Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Mark Robinson" typed:
    >>> "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message

    >> RayC wrote:
    >>> Paradise.net newsgroups unavailable as of posting date and time.
    >>>
    >>> about to ring the helpdesk about it.

    >> Strange, it's still working here.

    > It's working so well your post showed up twice!
    >
    >> I guess it'll help solve the top posting problem.

    > If only.....
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
    > offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
    > If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
    > me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)

    I am posting via easynews server

    All newsgroup services available via news.paradise.net.nz
    have ceased due to cancellation of Telstra clears newsgroup service.

    They felt it un-necessary to warn their customers.

    Despite that I moderate 19 newsgroups of the 100,000 available

    RIP FREE Newsgroup access.

    Bloody cretins call themselves the no ISP
    RayC, Oct 21, 2008

  3. RayC

    Cima Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:27:35 +1300, "RayC" <> wrote:

    >"~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Mark Robinson" typed:

    >>> Strange, it's still working here.

    >> It's working so well your post showed up twice!
    >>
    >>> I guess it'll help solve the top posting problem.

    >> If only.....
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> --
    >> Shaun.
    >>
    >> DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
    >> offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
    >> If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
    >> me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)
    >>

    >I am posting via easynews server
    >
    >All newsgroup services available via news.paradise.net.nz
    >have ceased due to cancellation of Telstra clears newsgroup service.
    >
    >They felt it un-necessary to warn their customers.
    >
    >Despite that I moderate 19 newsgroups of the 100,000 available
    >
    >RIP FREE Newsgroup access.
    >
    >Bloody cretins call themselves the no ISP

    I'm reading this and replying from the news.paradise.net.nz server.
    Cima, Oct 21, 2008
  4. RayC

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:27:35 +1300, in message <gdjp89$2ee$>,
    RayC wrote:

    > I am posting via easynews server
    >
    > All newsgroup services available via news.paradise.net.nz
    > have ceased due to cancellation of Telstra clears newsgroup service.
    >
    > They felt it un-necessary to warn their customers.

    Curious. I am reading your message via news.paradise.net.nz,
    and posting my reply via news.paradise.net.nz.

    > Despite that I moderate 19 newsgroups of the 100,000 available
    >
    > RIP FREE Newsgroup access.
    >
    > Bloody cretins call themselves the no ISP

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Oct 21, 2008
  5. RayC

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:37:33 +1300, in message <>,
    Keith wrote:

    > > I'm reading this and replying from the news.paradise.net.nz server.

    > Actually your headers say "news.clear.net.nz"

    They are one and the same server.

    news.paradise.net.nz ==> 203.97.37.6
    news.clear.net.nz ==> 203.97.37.6

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Oct 21, 2008
  6. RayC

    RayC Guest

    "Ralph Fox" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:27:35 +1300, in message <gdjp89$2ee$>,
    > RayC wrote:
    >
    >> I am posting via easynews server
    >>
    >> All newsgroup services available via news.paradise.net.nz
    >> have ceased due to cancellation of Telstra clears newsgroup service.
    >>
    >> They felt it un-necessary to warn their customers.

    > Curious. I am reading your message via news.paradise.net.nz,
    > and posting my reply via news.paradise.net.nz.
    >

    >> Despite that I moderate 19 newsgroups of the 100,000 available
    >>
    >> RIP FREE Newsgroup access.
    >>
    >> Bloody cretins call themselves the no ISP

    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Ralph

    then the hepldesk support gave me false information- fibbed
    like a wait of 20 mins took 36 to answer.

    Was adamant that was the cause of me not posting on news.paradise.net.nz
    RayC, Oct 21, 2008
  7. RayC

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <gdjp89$2ee$>, says...

    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Mark Robinson" typed:

    > >> Strange, it's still working here.

    > > It's working so well your post showed up twice!
    > >
    > >> I guess it'll help solve the top posting problem.

    > > If only.....
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > --
    > > Shaun.
    > >
    > > DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
    > > offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
    > > If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
    > > me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)
    > >

    > I am posting via easynews server
    >
    > All newsgroup services available via news.paradise.net.nz
    > have ceased due to cancellation of Telstra clears newsgroup service.
    >
    > They felt it un-necessary to warn their customers.
    >
    > Despite that I moderate 19 newsgroups of the 100,000 available
    >
    > RIP FREE Newsgroup access.
    >
    > Bloody cretins call themselves the no ISP

    Still working for me, news.paradise.net.nz, Telstraclear cable, ChCh.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 21, 2008
  8. RayC

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <gdjp89$2ee$>, says...
    > >
    > > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > > > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Mark Robinson" typed:

    > > > It's working so well your post showed up twice!

    > > > If only.....
    > > >
    > > > Cheers,
    > > > --
    > > > Shaun.
    > > >
    > > > DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
    > > > offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
    > > > If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
    > > > me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)
    > > >

    > > I am posting via easynews server
    > >
    > > All newsgroup services available via news.paradise.net.nz
    > > have ceased due to cancellation of Telstra clears newsgroup service.
    > >
    > > They felt it un-necessary to warn their customers.
    > >
    > > Despite that I moderate 19 newsgroups of the 100,000 available
    > >
    > > RIP FREE Newsgroup access.
    > >
    > > Bloody cretins call themselves the no ISP

    > Still working for me, news.paradise.net.nz, Telstraclear cable, ChCh.

    This is from the t&c on the paradise site - not sure if TS's t&c's would
    override them, but anyway, salient points capitalised by me...

    6. Our charges and services

    You can obtain a free copy of information about our current Internet
    services and charges by calling Customer Services or by visiting our
    website www.paradise.net.nz.

    From time to time we may decide to change some of our charges. We will
    give you 10 WORKING DAYS NOTICE BEFORE CHANGING OUR CHARGES.

    From time to time we may amend or discontinue our Internet services
    and/or our packages of Internet services (even if a minimum term applies
    to those Internet services). Where we do this WE WILL ENDEAVOUR TO GIVE
    YOU ADVANCE NOTICE OF THIS. If we discontinue an Internet service or a
    package of Internet services we will endeavour to move you onto the
    Internet service or package of Internet services that we consider is
    most similar to the Internet service or package of Internet services
    that we are currently providing to you.

    We reserve the right to charge a monthly maintenance fee if you do not
    connect to the Internet using paradise.net for 6 months or more.

    Where the provision of an Internet service is dependant on a third party
    providing Internet services to us, we may not be able to provide that
    Internet service or we may need to terminate that Internet service if
    the third party is unable or unwilling to provide the Internet services
    to us. Where this occurs WE WILL PROVIDE AS MUCH NOTICE AS WE ARE
    REASONABLY ABLE AND WILL ENDEAVOUR TO PROVIDE ALTERNATIVE INTERNET
    SERVICES TO YOU.

    Where you do not agree to the changed Internet service or package, or us
    moving you onto another Internet service or package, then except in the
    circumstances set out in the next paragraph but notwithstanding anything
    else in these terms you may cancel that Internet service or package
    within 5 working days of receiving our notice.

    Notwithstanding the above, we are free to choose the manner in which and
    the technology by which we provide an Internet service. Where we change
    the manner or technology by which we provide an Internet service this
    shall not be a reason for you to terminate the Internet service,
    provided that the Internet service itself remains materially similar.

    While we will endeavour to make Internet services available to you where
    we can, not all Internet services will be available to all customers and
    not all Internet services will be available in all areas.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 21, 2008
  9. RayC

    aspir8or Guest

    The past 2 days I've only been receiving posts from Paradise/Clear/
    Telstraclear news server, and no international groups at all. It looks
    like the old "we've used up our month's bandwidth" baloney again, but my
    guess is the news server will be turned off at the end of the month.

    I'm back with motzarella again, but I'll be sending an unsatisfied
    customer type email to Telstraclear soon, not that it will make any
    difference. The Paradise t&c posted by Dave give them plenty of outs, and
    I don't have much choice. The only other cable net isps use Telstraclear's
    cables and are dearer than t/c. If I change to dsl I have to change my
    phone to Telecom or go naked dsl which is also too expensive for me.
    Basically it means that Telstraclear have us over a barrel.

    --
    Rob
    You've heard about the computer programmer that died while washing his
    aspir8or, Oct 22, 2008
  10. RayC

    aspir8or Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:17:56 +1300, OZZY Boy propped his eyelids open with
    toothpicks and wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 00:08:31 +0000 (UTC), aspir8or <> wrote:
    >
    >>The past 2 days I've only been receiving posts from Paradise/Clear/
    >>Telstraclear news server, and no international groups at all. It looks
    >>like the old "we've used up our month's bandwidth" baloney again, but my
    >>guess is the news server will be turned off at the end of the month.
    >>
    >>I'm back with motzarella again, but I'll be sending an unsatisfied
    >>customer type email to Telstraclear soon, not that it will make any
    >>difference. The Paradise t&c posted by Dave give them plenty of outs,
    >>and I don't have much choice. The only other cable net isps use
    >>Telstraclear's cables and are dearer than t/c. If I change to dsl I have
    >>to change my phone to Telecom or go naked dsl which is also too
    >>expensive for me. Basically it means that Telstraclear have us over a
    >>barrel.

    > There are Plenty of Free NNTP sites around, and far better than that..

    I've used motzarella before and headers & articles download as quickly as
    the paradise server. They also carry all the groups I'm interested in.
    I've tried aioe (sp?) and x-privat but I prefer motzarella . x-privat were
    too slow downloading and aioe took too long to show my posts.

    --
    Rob
    aspir8or, Oct 22, 2008
  11. RayC

    aspir8or Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:23:32 +0000, aspir8or propped his eyelids open with
    toothpicks and wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:17:56 +1300, OZZY Boy propped his eyelids open
    > with toothpicks and wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 00:08:31 +0000 (UTC), aspir8or <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The past 2 days I've only been receiving posts from Paradise/Clear/
    >>>Telstraclear news server, and no international groups at all. It looks
    >>>like the old "we've used up our month's bandwidth" baloney again, but
    >>>my guess is the news server will be turned off at the end of the month.
    >>>
    >>>I'm back with motzarella again, but I'll be sending an unsatisfied
    >>>customer type email to Telstraclear soon, not that it will make any
    >>>difference. The Paradise t&c posted by Dave give them plenty of outs,
    >>>and I don't have much choice. The only other cable net isps use
    >>>Telstraclear's cables and are dearer than t/c. If I change to dsl I
    >>>have to change my phone to Telecom or go naked dsl which is also too
    >>>expensive for me. Basically it means that Telstraclear have us over a
    >>>barrel.

    >> There are Plenty of Free NNTP sites around, and far better than that..

    > I've used motzarella before and headers & articles download as quickly
    > as the paradise server. They also carry all the groups I'm interested
    > in. I've tried aioe (sp?) and x-privat but I prefer motzarella .
    > x-privat were too slow downloading and aioe took too long to show my
    > posts.

    Lol. Went to post another reply after this and got error 441 nz.comp no
    newsgroup found. Came right just now. Motzarella must have had a server
    glitch.

    --
    Rob
    You know you've spent too much time on the computer when you spill milk
    aspir8or, Oct 22, 2008
  12. RayC

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 00:08:31 +0000 (UTC), aspir8or <> wrote:
    >
    > >The past 2 days I've only been receiving posts from Paradise/Clear/
    > >Telstraclear news server, and no international groups at all. It looks
    > >like the old "we've used up our month's bandwidth" baloney again, but my
    > >guess is the news server will be turned off at the end of the month.
    > >
    > >I'm back with motzarella again, but I'll be sending an unsatisfied
    > >customer type email to Telstraclear soon, not that it will make any
    > >difference. The Paradise t&c posted by Dave give them plenty of outs, and
    > >I don't have much choice. The only other cable net isps use Telstraclear's
    > >cables and are dearer than t/c. If I change to dsl I have to change my
    > >phone to Telecom or go naked dsl which is also too expensive for me.
    > >Basically it means that Telstraclear have us over a barrel.

    > There are Plenty of Free NNTP sites around, and far better than that..

    Shouldn't you backup your statement with some evidence?

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 23, 2008
  13. On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 13:56:12 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote in

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 00:08:31 +0000 (UTC), aspir8or <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The past 2 days I've only been receiving posts from Paradise/Clear/
    >>>Telstraclear news server, and no international groups at all. It looks
    >>>like the old "we've used up our month's bandwidth" baloney again, but my
    >>>guess is the news server will be turned off at the end of the month.
    >>>
    >>>I'm back with motzarella again, but I'll be sending an unsatisfied
    >>>customer type email to Telstraclear soon, not that it will make any
    >>>difference. The Paradise t&c posted by Dave give them plenty of outs, and
    >>>I don't have much choice. The only other cable net isps use Telstraclear's
    >>>cables and are dearer than t/c. If I change to dsl I have to change my
    >>>phone to Telecom or go naked dsl which is also too expensive for me.
    >>>Basically it means that Telstraclear have us over a barrel.

    >> There are Plenty of Free NNTP sites around, and far better than that..

    > Shouldn't you backup your statement with some evidence?

    Evidence? Woger? Get Weal!
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 23, 2008
  14. RayC

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <fok3ho883h5t$>, e says...
    > On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 13:56:12 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote in
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> There are Plenty of Free NNTP sites around, and far better than that..

    > > Shouldn't you backup your statement with some evidence?

    > Evidence? Woger? Get Weal!

    Yeah yeah, I know :)

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 23, 2008
  15. RayC

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Allistar <> wrote in

    > Most ISPs no longer consider an NNTP server as something integral to
    > their service. I predict in a few years time that an SMTP/POP server
    > will have the same fate. From my point of view an ISP provides access
    > to the internet - any additional services are a bonus. Having said
    > that, I think removing a service should see a reduction in price.

    If that is their stance, they should provide us an ASN, a static IP, M-Bone
    and that is all.
    Instead, we get filtered feeds and some services. They are pruning the
    reselling services they provide.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Oct 24, 2008