Re: Telstr Clear, Cable Modem and a Router problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by victor, May 30, 2009.

  1. victor

    victor Guest

    Willie wrote:
    > Can some kind soul help me please?
    >
    > A friend has a Telstra Clear cable connection.
    >
    > He's trying to hook in a Netcomm BP504UK Wireless Bundle Router so
    > that he can network a couple of machines wirelessly.
    >
    > Telstra Clear don't know about anything past their cable modem so
    > won't help.
    >
    > The router vendor is no help either and the gentleman at their end is
    > hard to understand as he is not Kiwi. Helpdesk is in India, so we
    > believe.
    >
    > What do we have to do to get the router wizard up so we can setup the
    > router connection?
    >
    > Any sugesstions will be hugely appreciated.
    >
    > The router runs real sweet on a Telecom connection.

    You have to set the WAN port of the router for a static IP address and
    enter the Telstra Clear IP number that you have been allocated
    (203.xxx.xxx.xxx) and netmask 255.255.255.0, the gateway they allocated
    and DNS servers 203.96.152.4 and 203.96.152.12.

    hth

    victor, May 30, 2009

  2. victor

    victor Guest

    Willie wrote:

    > Thanks Victor, but how do I get into the wizard to set the WAN port
    > and to enter the IP stuff etc?
    >
    > Like, with ADSL we type in http://192.168.1.1 and up pops a wizard and
    > away we go entering stuff and we're away.
    >
    > So can someone give me a sort of paint-by-numbers walk through?

    Sorry, I'd be glad to but the online manual seems broken.

    victor, May 30, 2009

  3. victor

    Mike Dee Guest

    Willie <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 May 2009 20:25:45 +1200, victor <> wrote:
    >
    >>Willie wrote:
    >>> Can some kind soul help me please?
    >>>
    >>> A friend has a Telstra Clear cable connection.

    [...]
    >>> What do we have to do to get the router wizard up so we can
    >>> setup the router connection?
    >>>
    >>> Any sugesstions will be hugely appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> The router runs real sweet on a Telecom connection.

    >>You have to set the WAN port of the router for a static IP address
    >>and enter the Telstra Clear IP number that you have been allocated
    >>(203.xxx.xxx.xxx) and netmask 255.255.255.0, the gateway they
    >>allocated and DNS servers 203.96.152.4 and 203.96.152.12.
    >>
    >>hth

    > Thanks Victor, but how do I get into the wizard to set the WAN
    > port and to enter the IP stuff etc?
    >
    > Like, with ADSL we type in http://192.168.1.1 and up pops a wizard
    > and away we go entering stuff and we're away.
    >
    > So can someone give me a sort of paint-by-numbers walk through?

    Starting with this page may be of use:

    <http://clearnet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/clearnet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1306&p_created=1196302950&p_sid=CMnVZ4zj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD03MjAsNzIwJnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1>

    If the incredibly long URL is a bit much, use this TinyURL:
    <http://tinyurl.com/m23a5a>

    TinyURL preview if you want to check 1st:
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/m23a5a

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, May 30, 2009
  4. victor

    David Empson Guest

    Willie <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 May 2009 20:25:45 +1200, victor <> wrote:
    >
    > >Willie wrote:
    > >> Can some kind soul help me please?
    > >>
    > >> A friend has a Telstra Clear cable connection.
    > >>
    > >> He's trying to hook in a Netcomm BP504UK Wireless Bundle Router so
    > >> that he can network a couple of machines wirelessly.
    > >>
    > >> Telstra Clear don't know about anything past their cable modem so
    > >> won't help.
    > >>
    > >> The router vendor is no help either and the gentleman at their end is
    > >> hard to understand as he is not Kiwi. Helpdesk is in India, so we
    > >> believe.
    > >>
    > >> What do we have to do to get the router wizard up so we can setup the
    > >> router connection?
    > >>
    > >> Any sugesstions will be hugely appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> The router runs real sweet on a Telecom connection.

    > >You have to set the WAN port of the router for a static IP address and
    > >enter the Telstra Clear IP number that you have been allocated
    > >(203.xxx.xxx.xxx) and netmask 255.255.255.0, the gateway they allocated
    > >and DNS servers 203.96.152.4 and 203.96.152.12.

    > Thanks Victor, but how do I get into the wizard to set the WAN port
    > and to enter the IP stuff etc?
    >
    > Like, with ADSL we type in http://192.168.1.1 and up pops a wizard and
    > away we go entering stuff and we're away.
    >
    > So can someone give me a sort of paint-by-numbers walk through?

    The problem may be that the computer is currently configured to use the
    static IP address assigned by TelstraClear.

    In order to talk to the router to configure it, you'll need to adjust
    the Internet settings on the computer to remove the static IP address
    (and associated settings) and instead use a DHCP server to get its IP
    address.

    I recommend writing down all the current settings in case you need to
    restore them later. You'll need to enter the same settings into the
    router's configuration user interface anyway.

    If you don't know how to get to that stuff, it would help to know which
    operating system you are running. I'm sure someone will be able to help.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, May 30, 2009
  5. victor

    Enkidu Guest

    Willie wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 May 2009 20:25:45 +1200, victor <> wrote:
    >
    >> Willie wrote:
    >>> Can some kind soul help me please?
    >>>
    >>> A friend has a Telstra Clear cable connection.
    >>>
    >>> He's trying to hook in a Netcomm BP504UK Wireless Bundle Router so
    >>> that he can network a couple of machines wirelessly.
    >>>
    >>> Telstra Clear don't know about anything past their cable modem so
    >>> won't help.
    >>>
    >>> The router vendor is no help either and the gentleman at their end is
    >>> hard to understand as he is not Kiwi. Helpdesk is in India, so we
    >>> believe.
    >>>
    >>> What do we have to do to get the router wizard up so we can setup the
    >>> router connection?
    >>>
    >>> Any sugesstions will be hugely appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> The router runs real sweet on a Telecom connection.

    >> You have to set the WAN port of the router for a static IP address and
    >> enter the Telstra Clear IP number that you have been allocated
    >> (203.xxx.xxx.xxx) and netmask 255.255.255.0, the gateway they allocated
    >> and DNS servers 203.96.152.4 and 203.96.152.12.
    >>
    >> hth

    > Thanks Victor, but how do I get into the wizard to set the WAN port
    > and to enter the IP stuff etc?
    >
    > Like, with ADSL we type in http://192.168.1.1 and up pops a wizard and
    > away we go entering stuff and we're away.
    >
    > So can someone give me a sort of paint-by-numbers walk through?

    What happens when you fire up a browser and point it to 192.168.1.1?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 31, 2009
  6. victor

    Enkidu Guest

    Willie wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 May 2009 11:47:15 +1200, Enkidu <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Willie wrote:

    >>> Thanks Victor, but how do I get into the wizard to set the WAN port
    >>> and to enter the IP stuff etc?
    >>>
    >>> Like, with ADSL we type in http://192.168.1.1 and up pops a wizard and
    >>> away we go entering stuff and we're away.
    >>>
    >>> So can someone give me a sort of paint-by-numbers walk through?
    >>>

    >> What happens when you fire up a browser and point it to 192.168.1.1?
    >>

    > Nothing. When we've been on Telecom ADSL 192.168.1.1 allows us into
    > the router's wizard. On Clear's cable nothing happens.
    >
    > On Clear's cable we need to get into something that allows us to edit
    > details into the router.
    >
    > System is XP Pro.

    Are you trying to replace the TelstraClear cable modem or does the
    Netcomm plug into the TC modem? If so, is it a USB connection or an
    ethernet? (Probably doesn't matter too much).

    The Netcomm most likely has a web interface. It also may provide IP
    addresses via DHCP. Does the XP box's interface show a fixed IP, and if
    so, what is it?

    If it is a DHCP address like 10.10.10.2 try 10.10.10.1 with the browser.

    If it isn't a DHCP address write down the IP address and set it to DHCP
    and see if you get an IP address. If you do get an address then try
    <first three parts of IP address>.1 in the browser.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 31, 2009