Re: Telecom obliged to provide service?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Richard, Feb 9, 2009.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    ofn01 wrote:
    > I know someone who is in a block of flats that have jackpoints - but
    > apparently is not serviced.
    >
    > Telecom have said they won't connect up his flat because it isn't worth it
    > for one flat..
    >
    > Seems a bit odd?

    There are many serviced apartments that have entered into exclucivity
    agreements with some telcos. I was at ihug when some student places went
    with them exclusivly. I hated the idea and thought that it was stupid on
    their part to enter the agreement but thats not the sort of thing you
    say about your work at the time.

    Anyway, I think there was some legal challange about the body
    corp/management of the building preventing access to other service
    providers - no idea how far it got, but if there is say telstraclear or
    vector into the building only and no telecom then it may be a case that
    it needs several 1000 in outside work and some vertical cabling to
    service the place.
    Richard, Feb 9, 2009

  2. Richard

    EMB Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Anyway, I think there was some legal challange about the body
    > corp/management of the building preventing access to other service
    > providers - no idea how far it got, but if there is say telstraclear or
    > vector into the building only and no telecom then it may be a case that
    > it needs several 1000 in outside work and some vertical cabling to
    > service the place.

    It may also be the body corp wishing to charge the telco a significant
    amount of rent for running their cabling through a common area. We are
    currently arguing about a $10,000 PA charge that the body corp wants to
    charge Telstraclear if they run fibre in to our server room.
    EMB, Feb 9, 2009

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Richard wrote:

    > It may also be the body corp wishing to charge the telco a significant
    > amount of rent for running their cabling through a common area. We are
    > currently arguing about a $10,000 PA charge that the body corp wants to
    > charge Telstraclear if they run fibre in to our server room.

    What about if you make that fiber yours so they are not dealing with
    telstraclear but you?
    Richard, Feb 9, 2009
  4. Richard

    Guest

    On Feb 10, 7:14 am, EMB <> wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    > > Anyway, I think there was some legal challange about the body
    > > corp/management of the building preventing access to other service
    > > providers - no idea how far it got, but if there is say telstraclear or
    > > vector into the building only and no telecom then it may be a case that
    > > it needs several 1000 in outside work and some vertical cabling to
    > > service the place.

    > It may also be the body corp wishing to charge the telco a significant
    > amount of rent for running their cabling through a common area.  We are
    > currently arguing about a $10,000 PA charge that the body corp wants to
    > charge Telstraclear if they run fibre in to our server room.

    mad....the body corp should see it as an advantage....

    regards

    Thing
    , Feb 10, 2009
  5. Richard

    Guest

    On Feb 10, 12:06 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    > > Richard wrote:
    > > It may also be the body corp wishing to charge the telco a significant
    > > amount of rent for running their cabling through a common area.  We are
    > > currently arguing about a $10,000 PA charge that the body corp wants to
    > > charge Telstraclear if they run fibre in to our server room.

    > What about if you make that fiber yours so they are not dealing with
    > telstraclear but you?

    He probably would still need permission to run it through a common
    area, which the body corp could block...thats the big problem with
    multiple occupancy dwellings/buildings....at $10k per annum its
    probably cheaper and easier to move. I have several friends who have
    moved out of such after the old foggies blocked, bickerred, unfairly
    allocated costs and/or over-priced/costed work....it turns into a
    nightmare....

    regards

    Thing
    , Feb 10, 2009
  6. Richard

    PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    On Feb 10, 7:14 am, EMB <> wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    > > Anyway, I think there was some legal challange about the body
    > > corp/management of the building preventing access to other service
    > > providers - no idea how far it got, but if there is say telstraclear or
    > > vector into the building only and no telecom then it may be a case that
    > > it needs several 1000 in outside work and some vertical cabling to
    > > service the place.

    > It may also be the body corp wishing to charge the telco a significant
    > amount of rent for running their cabling through a common area. We are
    > currently arguing about a $10,000 PA charge that the body corp wants to
    > charge Telstraclear if they run fibre in to our server room.

    mad....the body corp should see it as an advantage....

    regards

    Thing

    No different to Microsofts attitude, if it can make money, screw em!

    Paul.
    PeeCee, Feb 10, 2009
  7. Richard

    EMB Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> Richard wrote:

    >> It may also be the body corp wishing to charge the telco a significant
    >> amount of rent for running their cabling through a common area. We
    >> are currently arguing about a $10,000 PA charge that the body corp
    >> wants to charge Telstraclear if they run fibre in to our server room.

    > What about if you make that fiber yours so they are not dealing with
    > telstraclear but you?

    It is in a common area so they want rent for it. End of story (and the
    body corp in question are a pack of cnuts).
    EMB, Feb 10, 2009
  8. Richard

    EMB Guest

    wrote:
    > On Feb 10, 7:14 am, EMB <> wrote:
    >> Richard wrote:
    >>> Anyway, I think there was some legal challange about the body
    >>> corp/management of the building preventing access to other service
    >>> providers - no idea how far it got, but if there is say telstraclear or
    >>> vector into the building only and no telecom then it may be a case that
    >>> it needs several 1000 in outside work and some vertical cabling to
    >>> service the place.

    >> It may also be the body corp wishing to charge the telco a significant
    >> amount of rent for running their cabling through a common area. We are
    >> currently arguing about a $10,000 PA charge that the body corp wants to
    >> charge Telstraclear if they run fibre in to our server room.

    > mad....the body corp should see it as an advantage....

    The cynic in me says they have made a pact with the devil (or at least
    with Telecom) and will actively discourage other providers getting
    connectivity into the complex.
    EMB, Feb 10, 2009
  9. Richard

    EMB Guest

    wrote:
    > He probably would still need permission to run it through a common
    > area, which the body corp could block...thats the big problem with
    > multiple occupancy dwellings/buildings....at $10k per annum its
    > probably cheaper and easier to move.

    The last move cost us $75K so it's unlikely that this will be the
    catalyst for a move, but it will get very interesting shortly.
    EMB, Feb 10, 2009
  10. Richard

    Enkidu Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >> EMB wrote:
    >>> Richard wrote:

    >>> It may also be the body corp wishing to charge the telco a
    >>> significant amount of rent for running their cabling through a
    >>> common area. We are currently arguing about a $10,000 PA charge
    >>> that the body corp wants to charge Telstraclear if they run fibre
    >>> in to our server room.

    >> What about if you make that fiber yours so they are not dealing
    >> with telstraclear but you?

    > It is in a common area so they want rent for it. End of story (and
    > the body corp in question are a pack of cnuts).

    Short range microwave? You wouldn't get fibre bandwidth, but it depends
    what you need.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Go the girls! Bring back the Rose Bowl!
    Enkidu, Feb 10, 2009
  11. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Collector€NZ wrote:
    >> The cynic in me says they have made a pact with the devil (or at least
    >> with Telecom) and will actively discourage other providers getting
    >> connectivity into the complex.

    > I hear Ombudsman and com Com here

    Really you need to find if telecom and/or sky are paying the same for
    access to have their equipement and cabling in place, if not then I
    think you have something very valid to pursue.
    Richard, Feb 11, 2009