Re: Telecom CDMA users - another option.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by bugalugs, Dec 30, 2011.

  1. bugalugs

    bugalugs Guest

    On 30/12/2011 9:19 p.m., Crash McBash wrote:
    > Some time ago I posted about options available to those such as my
    > wife - using Telecom CDMA handsets given that Telecom is closing down
    > that network.
    >
    > The eventual solution chosen was:
    >
    > 1) Bought a Samsung E1310B on TradeMe for $25. This is almost a
    > replica of the Samsung CDMA handset (a clamshell or flip phone design
    > with minimal extra features beyond txt and voice calls).
    >
    > 2) Bought a 2degress SIM for $5.
    >
    > 3) Ported the Telecom number to 2 degrees (done entirely online and
    > took 2 hours today).
    >
    > So she has the phone of her choice, less expensive than the cheapest
    > handset Telecom offered, with the cheapest pre-paid plan available.
    > The only thing we will miss is the pay-as-you-go billing of calls to
    > our landline (no longer possible) - not a biggie as she makes few
    > calls. There is a none-off effort to transfer the 20 or so contacts
    > she has manually.
    >
    > This is a reminder that because of number portability, buying a GSM
    > handset that is not XT-compatible is a viable migration option for
    > Telecom CDMA users.

    They also have the option of paying by debiting your credit card when
    your prepaid credit gets down to (I think) $2.50. So far calls have cost
    me $20 for just on a year.

    Previously Telecom had me on a plan where I was paying $15 per month, (&
    only making 1 or 2 calls) and another $6 if I wanted the option of
    sending texts. While it was annoying and disruptive at the time the best
    thing that happened was I lost that phone when I was overseas.

    bugalugs, Dec 30, 2011