Re: Telecom and Telstra attempt to restrict peering to each other - media coverage

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Matthew Poole, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. In article <>, "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote:
    *SNIP*
    >WRT comments about anticompetitive behaviour, etc, it was made abundantly
    >obvious by Clear and Clearnet that their longterm veiw was that they only
    >wanted telco-owned ISPs in NZ.
    >

    *SNIP*
    Three of the four largest ARE owned by telcos. Telecom, TelstraClear
    and IHUG. CallPlus is a not-insignificant player, and is also a telco.

    I can see this backfiring horribly on TC. The "small" ISPs will all
    lock them out of the peering exchanges, peer with each other as per
    current practice, and then get business on the basis of lower costs for
    traffic between each other.
    Particularly if Telecom maintain existing peering agreements, leaving TC
    as the only player who want to try and bring the tier-peering model
    here.

    I wish the fucking Aussies would just **** off and let us run our corner
    of the 'net in our own way. It seems to be working so far, as we've got
    a higher per-capita level of connectivity than just about everywhere
    else in the world (including Australia, by quite some margin).

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...
    I came, I saw, I stuck around"

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
     
    Matthew Poole, Jul 19, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In article <bfclre$d9bat$-berlin.de>, Jay <> wrote:
    >Matthew Poole wrote:
    >
    >
    >> I wish the fucking Aussies would just **** off and let us run our corner
    >> of the 'net in our own way. It seems to be working so far, as we've got
    >> a higher per-capita level of connectivity than just about everywhere
    >> else in the world (including Australia, by quite some margin).
    >>

    >
    >But you have no affordable broadband!
    >

    Like yours is much better?
    And you'd do well to take a look at Wired Country.

    >NZers often think they are better than about everywhere in the
    >world ... but that is just a delusion.
    >While comparable countries have progressed over the last couple
    >of decades NZ has gone backwards.
    >

    No, NZ just hasn't gone forwards.
    And when it comes to inter-ISP traffic, NZ's system is streets ahead of
    any other country.

    >How many satellites has NZ launched? And how many of the satellites
    >that Australia launched does NZ depend on?
    >

    When did Australia last launch a satellite I mean launch itself, not ?
    just piggy back of someone else.
    How many US and European satellites does Australia depend on?
    Considerably more than you've launched, that's for sure.

    >You should study some _facts_.
    >

    You sound like Roger.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...
    I came, I saw, I stuck around"

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
     
    Matthew Poole, Jul 20, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Matthew Poole

    Jay Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:


    > I wish the fucking Aussies would just **** off and let us run our corner
    > of the 'net in our own way. It seems to be working so far, as we've got
    > a higher per-capita level of connectivity than just about everywhere
    > else in the world (including Australia, by quite some margin).
    >


    But you have no affordable broadband!

    NZers often think they are better than about everywhere in the
    world ... but that is just a delusion.
    While comparable countries have progressed over the last couple
    of decades NZ has gone backwards.

    How many satellites has NZ launched? And how many of the satellites
    that Australia launched does NZ depend on?

    You should study some _facts_.

    http://www.itu.int/itunews/issue/2002/10/indicators.html
     
    Jay, Jul 20, 2003
    #3
  4. Matthew Poole

    Jay Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:

    > In article <bfclre$d9bat$-berlin.de>, Jay
    > <> wrote:
    >>Matthew Poole wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> I wish the fucking Aussies would just **** off and let us run our corner
    >>> of the 'net in our own way. It seems to be working so far, as we've got
    >>> a higher per-capita level of connectivity than just about everywhere
    >>> else in the world (including Australia, by quite some margin).
    >>>

    >>
    >>But you have no affordable broadband!
    >>

    > Like yours is much better?
    > And you'd do well to take a look at Wired Country.


    Here are some facts for you:
    http://www.itu.int/itunews/issue/2002/10/indicators.html

    >
    >>NZers often think they are better than about everywhere in the
    >>world ... but that is just a delusion.
    >>While comparable countries have progressed over the last couple
    >>of decades NZ has gone backwards.
    >>

    > No, NZ just hasn't gone forwards.


    Exactly.

    > And when it comes to inter-ISP traffic, NZ's system is streets ahead of
    > any other country.


    Because NZ has only about 80 ISPs - total!?
    And therefore very little inter-ISP traffic.
    Also, most hosting is done outside of NZ so international connectivity
    is much more significant.

    Maybe you should visit Korea or Japan to broaden your outlook.
    NZ is *not* streets ahead of any other country.

    >
    >>How many satellites has NZ launched? And how many of the satellites
    >>that Australia launched does NZ depend on?
    >>

    > When did Australia last launch a satellite I mean launch itself, not ?
    > just piggy back of someone else.


    A couple of weeks ago. It was launched from Guyana, of course.
    But NZ hasn't even paid to develop and launch a satellite.
    The C1 is owned outright by Australia's Optus.

    > How many US and European satellites does Australia depend on?


    None.

    > Considerably more than you've launched, that's for sure.
    >
    >>You should study some _facts_.
    >>

    > You sound like Roger.
    >


    Roger who?
     
    Jay, Jul 20, 2003
    #4
  5. Matthew Poole

    Steve Guest

    Matthew Poole allegedly said:

    > I wish the fucking Aussies would just **** off and let us run our corner
    > of the 'net in our own way. It seems to be working so far, as we've got
    > a higher per-capita level of connectivity than just about everywhere
    > else in the world (including Australia, by quite some margin).


    Same goes for the banking industry......

    --
    Steve
     
    Steve, Jul 20, 2003
    #5
  6. On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:30:38 +0000, Matthew Poole wrote:

    > In article <>, "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote:
    > *SNIP*
    >>WRT comments about anticompetitive behaviour, etc, it was made abundantly
    >>obvious by Clear and Clearnet that their longterm veiw was that they only
    >>wanted telco-owned ISPs in NZ.
    >>

    > *SNIP*
    > Three of the four largest ARE owned by telcos. Telecom, TelstraClear
    > and IHUG. CallPlus is a not-insignificant player, and is also a telco.
    >


    There are lots of people up at APE (Auckland Peering Exchange), and they mostly all will peer with you
    with a simple email to the techs except for Telstra Clear I have found (well for
    me).
    When emailed about it , they said "Due to policies they cannot peer" , but
    when I asked what their "Policies where"
    (So maybe I can meet it, (ie size, amount of traffic going into their
    network etc) ,I heard nothing back from them.

    When "TelstraClear" where "Clear", they (Clear) had no problems Peering
    with anyone.

    Thanks
    Craig
     
    Craig Whitmore, Jul 20, 2003
    #6
  7. Jay wrote:

    > >>You should study some _facts_.
    > >>

    > > You sound like Roger.
    > >

    >
    > Roger who?



    Roger posts True FACTS That Do Not Even Have To Be Proven.
    You would be very new to this group if you had not yet
    encountered The Man Of Many Aliases.



    --
    Kerrie ;-)
     
    Kerrie Felderton, Jul 20, 2003
    #7
  8. Matthew Poole

    Jay Guest

    Kerrie Felderton wrote:

    > Jay wrote:
    >
    >> >>You should study some _facts_.
    >> >>
    >> > You sound like Roger.
    >> >

    >>
    >> Roger who?

    >
    >
    > Roger posts True FACTS That Do Not Even Have To Be Proven.
    > You would be very new to this group if you had not yet
    > encountered The Man Of Many Aliases.
    >


    He wouldn't be the only one.
     
    Jay, Jul 21, 2003
    #8
  9. >> When did Australia last launch a satellite I mean launch itself,
    >> not ? just piggy back of someone else.

    >
    > A couple of weeks ago. It was launched from Guyana, of course.
    > The C1 is owned outright by Australia's Optus.


    Speaking of facts, and the remarkable ability of them to be absent from
    postings to this newsgroups... C1 wasn't launched by Australia.

    June 11, 2003 - Ariane 5G
    * deploying the Australian Optus and Defence C1 communications satellite and
    Japanese BSAT 2c direct broadcasting spacecraft into geosynchronous transfer
    orbit.

    * C1 The craft was built by a team comprised of Mitsubishi Electric
    Corporation, Space Systems/Loral and Raytheon Systems Company.

    http://spaceflightnow.com/ariane/v161/

    Claiming something as your own, yet others build and launch....

    Hmm, you're an Australian right ?
     
    Master Tech ©, Jul 21, 2003
    #9
  10. Matthew Poole

    Jay Guest

    Master Tech © wrote:

    > Jay wrote:
    >> It *was* launched by Australia because an Australian company
    >> paid for it to be launched.

    >
    > It *was* launched by a European company for an Australian contract. Just
    > because you're an Australian doesn't mean you have to munt the English
    > language.


    And it *is* an Australian satellite.
    If it isn't an Australian satellite then please tell us who owns it.

    >
    > Just how many satellites have Australia launched ? Zero actually.
    >


    Australia has launched several satellites.
    That latest being C1.

    >> Hmm, you're a NZer right? I can tell by your woolly thinking.

    >
    > Thinking. A unique word yet strangely missing from Australian vocabulary.
    >
    > Does your logic also mean you'll be free of any chance of prostate cancer
    > when you're older ?!
     
    Jay, Jul 21, 2003
    #10
  11. Jay wrote:

    > > Jay wrote:
    > >
    > >> >>You should study some _facts_.
    > >> >>
    > >> > You sound like Roger.
    > >> >
    > >>
    > >> Roger who?

    > >
    > >
    > > Roger posts True FACTS That Do Not Even Have To Be Proven.
    > > You would be very new to this group if you had not yet
    > > encountered The Man Of Many Aliases.
    > >

    >
    > He wouldn't be the only one.



    Roger is unique.


    (a) Roger has a unique posting style that is instantly recognizable.

    (b) Nobody else has used even half the number of aliases that Roger has.

    (c) If I post all the following quotes, most nz.comp regulars would know who
    it was that I was quoting...

    "No as its well know FACTS that do not even have to be proven, same as white
    is white and black is black, only the simple minded would not understand.."

    "So chaps why not grow up an get your facts correct, this must be the dumbest
    news group in the world"

    "It pays to get you facts correct before you spout of again."

    "Rubbish my posts and help are way way way over your head, Plus I post Facts
    and the Truth, I can't hep it if the Truth hurts you."

    "Yes I work very well as I have a active brain that also know the Facts.."

    "READ THE Facts, also I am never ever wrong.."

    "I do not Flame any one but state True Facts found on other news groups and
    web site plus my vast experiences, it seems that Kiwi's just can't take the
    truth.."

    "Please get some FACT's in your post as it seems like you are just full of
    Crap.. No I state facts not drivel like you that waste bandwidth with
    your slanderous rantings.."

    "I do Post facts if you don't like facts that is your problem..
    I am only a messenger I try to help people here, some just don't like
    that facts especially if they have brought the wrong thing or made the
    wrong decision.."


    --
    Kerrie ;-)
     
    Kerrie Felderton, Jul 21, 2003
    #11
  12. Crickey, this is becoming very tedious.

    I'll type slowly so you can read it slowly.

    > And it *is* an Australian satellite.
    > If it isn't an Australian satellite then please tell us who owns it.


    The satellite is owned by Australia, YES! Was it launched by Australia ? No.
    Was it built by Australia ? No. Do some Australians makes claims to
    build/launch satellites for some false intelligence level ? Yes.

    >> Just how many satellites have Australia launched ? Zero actually.

    > Australia has launched several satellites.
    > That latest being C1.


    Again, being an Australian, you're probably unaware how much you don't
    understand English.

    Australia has built and launched ZERO satellites. They do not have their own
    launch facility for satellite launches - Woomera doesn't count as that is
    still low altitude scientific rockets that don't distribute an orbiting
    payload.

    Australia has purchased satellites - yes ! Australia has had satellites
    launched on their behalf, yes ! But has Australia launched their own ? Sigh,
    again, and unsuprisingly, no.

    All together now - "Australia doesn't launch it's own satellites"

    Remember, you're the one who proclaimed how advanced Australia was, and used
    launches satellites as an example. Instead, it's merely shown once again to
    us all how pig ignorant some Australians really are.
     
    Master Tech ©, Jul 21, 2003
    #12
  13. Kerrie Felderton wrote:
    > (a) Roger has a unique posting style that is instantly recognizable.
    > (b) Nobody else has used even half the number of aliases that Roger
    > has.
    >
    > (c) If I post all the following quotes, most nz.comp regulars would
    > know who it was that I was quoting...
    >
    > "No as its well know FACTS that do not even have to be
    > proven, same as white is white and black is black, only the
    > simple minded would not understand.."
    >
    > "So chaps why not grow up an get your facts correct, this must
    > be the dumbest news group in the world"
    >
    > "It pays to get you facts correct before you spout of again."
    >
    > "Rubbish my posts and help are way way way over your head,
    > Plus I post Facts and the Truth, I can't hep it if the Truth
    > hurts you."
    >
    > "Yes I work very well as I have a active brain that also know
    > the Facts.."
    >
    > "READ THE Facts, also I am never ever wrong.."
    >
    > "I do not Flame any one but state True Facts found on other
    > news groups and web site plus my vast experiences, it seems
    > that Kiwi's just can't take the truth.."
    >
    > "Please get some FACT's in your post as it seems like you are
    > just full of Crap.. No I state facts not drivel like you
    > that waste bandwidth with your slanderous rantings.."
    >
    > "I do Post facts if you don't like facts that is your
    > problem.. I am only a messenger I try to help people here,
    > some just don't like that facts especially if they have
    > brought the wrong thing or made the wrong decision.."



    Oh I haven't laughed aloud like that in a while. Makes for a good old read
    !!! Especially the "wrong decision" bit.

    Well done.
     
    Master Tech ©, Jul 22, 2003
    #13
  14. On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 02:36:17 +0000, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    <> wrote

    >On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:07:55 +0000, Kerrie Felderton wrote:
    >
    >>> > Roger posts True FACTS That Do Not Even Have To Be Proven.
    >>> > You would be very new to this group if you had not yet
    >>> > encountered The Man Of Many Aliases.
    >>> >
    >>>
    >>> He wouldn't be the only one.

    >>
    >>
    >> Roger is unique.

    >
    >Perhaps, but how many aliases did Greg "scooter" Dowle have?


    Probably the same number of alias you, Alan "Stoatwarbler" Brown
    have.
     
    Captain Beaky, Jul 22, 2003
    #14
  15. Matthew Poole

    Jay Guest

    Master Tech © wrote:

    > Crickey, this is becoming very tedious.
    >
    > I'll type slowly so you can read it slowly.
    >
    >> And it *is* an Australian satellite.
    >> If it isn't an Australian satellite then please tell us who owns it.

    >
    > The satellite is owned by Australia, YES! Was it launched by Australia ?
    > No. Was it built by Australia ? No. Do some Australians makes claims to
    > build/launch satellites for some false intelligence level ? Yes.
    >
    >>> Just how many satellites have Australia launched ? Zero actually.

    >> Australia has launched several satellites.
    >> That latest being C1.

    >
    > Again, being an Australian, you're probably unaware how much you don't
    > understand English.
    >
    > Australia has built and launched ZERO satellites. They do not have their
    > own launch facility for satellite launches - Woomera doesn't count as that
    > is still low altitude scientific rockets that don't distribute an orbiting
    > payload.
    >
    > Australia has purchased satellites - yes ! Australia has had satellites
    > launched on their behalf, yes ! But has Australia launched their own ?
    > Sigh, again, and unsuprisingly, no.
    >
    > All together now - "Australia doesn't launch it's own satellites"
    >
    > Remember, you're the one who proclaimed how advanced Australia was, and
    > used launches satellites as an example. Instead, it's merely shown once
    > again to us all how pig ignorant some Australians really are.


    I suppose, then, that NZ doesn't print any banknotes?
     
    Jay, Jul 22, 2003
    #15
  16. Matthew Poole

    Jay Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:

    > In article <bfijsu$f8bmv$-berlin.de>, Jay
    > <> wrote:
    >>Master Tech © wrote:

    > *SNIP*
    >>I suppose, then, that NZ doesn't print any banknotes?
    >>

    > Very good. NZ hasn't minted its own currency for a good many years, if
    > it ever did.
    > NZ commissions currency, but doesn't mint its own.
    >


    But there is a sense in which you can say the NZ does print banknotes.
    Even if that does amount to commissioning some foreign company.
    And what if a NZ company printed the notes but did it in an overseas
    plant? Wouldn't you still say that NZ printed banknotes?

    I content that the NZ *does* print banknotes.

    And I contend that an Australian company has launched several satellites.

    I think you are being a bit too pedantic in your interpretation
    of what I originally said.

    Would you say the NZ has built dams and hydro power plants for example?
    I would say yes. But you would probably say no because the prime
    contractors have always been foreign companies and the capital
    has been always primarily raised overseas.
     
    Jay, Jul 22, 2003
    #16
  17. Matthew Poole

    rubber Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 05:09:00 GMT, (Matthew Poole)
    wrote:

    >In article <bfijsu$f8bmv$-berlin.de>, Jay <> wrote:
    >>Master Tech © wrote:

    >*SNIP*
    >>I suppose, then, that NZ doesn't print any banknotes?
    >>

    >Very good. NZ hasn't minted its own currency for a good many years, if
    >it ever did.
    >NZ commissions currency, but doesn't mint its own.


    There used to be a mint factory in Whangarei. But closed down in the
    late eighties I think. Now it's been reduced to being used as a
    furniture depot and holding quick fire sales of beds/suites etc.
    Bloody solidly built. Pretty safe for storing your beds in :(

    Rubber
     
    rubber, Jul 22, 2003
    #17
  18. Well now this is turning quite childish.

    >>> I suppose, then, that NZ doesn't print any banknotes?


    I haven't seen any Kiwi's making claims in this newsgroup that,

    "While comparable countries have progressed over the last couple of decades
    NZ has gone backwards."

    and then use the example of launching satellites for a nation somehow
    represents the positive achievements against so called lower intellectual
    countries.

    Nor have I seen any Kiwi claiming that by "printing banknotes" for example,
    that somehow represents an advancement our country has made.

    Your logic at this merely shows that, while you may feel superior with so
    called technological advances, what's the point when retards running around
    waving their hands at people shouting how great they are?

    > Would you say the NZ has built dams and hydro power plants for
    > example? I would say yes. But you would probably say no because the
    > prime contractors have always been foreign companies and the capital
    > has been always primarily raised overseas.


    There you go, acting like an Australian again. I guess we can't fault you
    for that. However your logic in your argument is so useless, my 8 year old
    son has laughed aloud reading your posting.

    Congrats. You must be a product of the Australian education system, being
    taught so little of other countries.

    And welcome to the club that New Zealand is a member of - countries that
    have not launched satellites.
     
    Master Tech ©, Jul 22, 2003
    #18
  19. Matthew Poole

    T.N.O. Guest

    Re: Telecom and Telstra attempt to restrict peering to each other- media coverage

    Jay wrote:
    > Do you own that vehicle that was made in Japan or Australia?
    > Of course you do. Just because your car wasn't made in NZ
    > doesn't mean that you don't own it?


    err yeah, but it is still a Japanese car, not a NZ car.
     
    T.N.O., Jul 22, 2003
    #19
  20. Matthew Poole

    Jay Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    > Jay wrote:
    >> Do you own that vehicle that was made in Japan or Australia?
    >> Of course you do. Just because your car wasn't made in NZ
    >> doesn't mean that you don't own it?

    >
    > err yeah, but it is still a Japanese car, not a NZ car.


    It is a NZ car (because it is registered in NZ) which was made in Japan.
    Just like a NZ banknote is a NZ banknote even though it is made elsewhere.
     
    Jay, Jul 22, 2003
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Matthew Poole
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    824
    Matthew Poole
    Jul 19, 2003
  2. Steve
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    1,143
    Matthew Poole
    Jul 21, 2003
  3. Uncle StoatWarbler
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    805
    Uncle StoatWarbler
    Jul 20, 2003
  4. Nik Coughin

    telstra clear and peering exchange

    Nik Coughin, Jul 7, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    438
    steve
    Jul 8, 2004
  5. Philip

    Telecom and peering

    Philip, Jul 20, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    356
    Matthew Poole
    Jul 22, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page