Re: Telecom - absolutely awful foresight

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rhino, Apr 24, 2008.

  1. Rhino

    Rhino Guest

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 19:32:14 +1200, Mark Robinson
    <2tod.net> wrote:

    >Assuming that both houses are serviced by the same exchange the claim of
    >"exchange is full" is obviously false.
    >
    >Beyond that, it's a National party plot to get you to vote for Jonky.

    If the OP is indeed staying in the same exchange area, they would be
    able to do what is called an External Removal of their line and retain
    the same number without any number portability issues, providing some
    conditions are met.

    It is possible that the area the OP wanted to move to may have had no
    spare cable pairs between the exchange and the new location. It is
    quite likely that the Telecom CSR would have just said "the exchange
    is full" rather than try to explain the details of reticulation.

    Cheers, Rhino

    Rhino, Apr 24, 2008

  2. On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:12:31 +1200, Steve B <>
    wrote in <news:>:

    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:41:41 +1200, "ofn01" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> It is possible that the area the OP wanted to move to may have had no
    >>> spare cable pairs between the exchange and the new location. It is
    >>> quite likely that the Telecom CSR would have just said "the exchange
    >>> is full" rather than try to explain the details of reticulation.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers, Rhino

    >>Thats the strange thing - we have kept the same phone number, and we told them that we were moving both internet and broadband. The whole thing is pretty pathetic

    > We were told by the engineer working in our street that they had "no
    > spur purrs" - he had a Liverpool accent.
    >
    > Somehow they still installed another line for us - but that was
    > TelstraClear (or maybe still Saturn in those days).
    >
    > When we moved from the suburban house to a city apartment we were
    > pleased to find it was already cabled for T-C/Paradise/Saturn. But
    > they could only move one of our two voice lines, again due to some
    > mysterious supposed capacity problem. The phone lines aren't on the
    > cable; they seem to come into a separate box in the basement.
    >
    > So it's not just Telecom. Maybe, as John Key said in his media
    > release, it's "the typography [sic] of the region".
    >
    > "You might get Courier down this link but right-justified Times New
    > Roman would be a bit iffy; and don't go near Bodoni."
    >
    > Steve B.

    Dingbats, all.

    --
    - Nic.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Apr 24, 2008

  3. Rhino

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-04-24, Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:12:31 +1200, Steve B <>
    > wrote in <news:>:

    >>>Thats the strange thing - we have kept the same phone number, and we told them that we were moving both internet and broadband. The whole thing is pretty pathetic

    >> We were told by the engineer working in our street that they had "no
    >> spur purrs" - he had a Liverpool accent.
    >>
    >> Somehow they still installed another line for us - but that was
    >> TelstraClear (or maybe still Saturn in those days).
    >>
    >> When we moved from the suburban house to a city apartment we were
    >> pleased to find it was already cabled for T-C/Paradise/Saturn. But
    >> they could only move one of our two voice lines, again due to some
    >> mysterious supposed capacity problem. The phone lines aren't on the
    >> cable; they seem to come into a separate box in the basement.
    >>
    >> So it's not just Telecom. Maybe, as John Key said in his media
    >> release, it's "the typography [sic] of the region".
    >>
    >> "You might get Courier down this link but right-justified Times New
    >> Roman would be a bit iffy; and don't go near Bodoni."
    >>
    >> Steve B.

    > Dingbats, all.

    Have one yourself

    Gordon, Apr 25, 2008
  4. On 25 Apr 2008 04:41:25 GMT, Gordon <> wrote
    in <news:>:

    > On 2008-04-24, Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:12:31 +1200, Steve B <>
    >> wrote in <news:>:

    >>> We were told by the engineer working in our street that they had "no
    >>> spur purrs" - he had a Liverpool accent.
    >>>
    >>> Somehow they still installed another line for us - but that was
    >>> TelstraClear (or maybe still Saturn in those days).
    >>>
    >>> When we moved from the suburban house to a city apartment we were
    >>> pleased to find it was already cabled for T-C/Paradise/Saturn. But
    >>> they could only move one of our two voice lines, again due to some
    >>> mysterious supposed capacity problem. The phone lines aren't on the
    >>> cable; they seem to come into a separate box in the basement.
    >>>
    >>> So it's not just Telecom. Maybe, as John Key said in his media
    >>> release, it's "the typography [sic] of the region".
    >>>
    >>> "You might get Courier down this link but right-justified Times New
    >>> Roman would be a bit iffy; and don't go near Bodoni."
    >>>
    >>> Steve B.

    >> Dingbats, all.
    >>

    > Have one yourself

    Thanks, but keep it for yourself - I already have a collection.

    --
    - Nic.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Apr 25, 2008