Re: TECHICAL SUPPORT & MICROSOFT

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Sep 5, 2009.

  1. "family" <> wrote in message
    > The problem is, the computer is both arbitral and capriciously shutting
    > down
    > any and all newsgroups that we are subscribed to and replacing them with
    > newsgroups that we do not want.
    > They are as many newsgroups as they are diversified newsgroups.
    > As if that were not enough, it is posting all the messages that those
    > newsgroups ever received, some going back to the 1980's.
    > It will neither allow us to read any of those messages, nor will it allow
    > delete any of those messages.
    > Nor will it allow us to retrieve any of our lost newsgroups.
    >
    > Microsoft tells us that such a problem-situation is IMPOSSIBLE.

    That's what I would tell you too.

    1.) There is no news server in the universe that will carry content dating
    back to the 1980s. That's simply not gonna happen.

    2.) There is no news client that is going to subscribe you to news groups
    all by itself.

    3.) You can open your news reader and select Tools>Options, click the
    Maintenance Tab, and click Clean Now. I normally select the Compact option,
    but I'd not hesitate to select Reset in your case. Reset is a pretty fatal
    selection, but it will clean up the DBX file structures by deleting the file
    contents. The DBX files should remain (I'm not certain this is true because
    I've never used this option) but the corrupted data contained in them will
    be gone along with the non-corrupted data. You can not separate the data, so
    all of it will be wiped out.

    4.) You can do a File Search of your HDD for "*.DBX" (without the quotes),
    and delete all files that are not the Inbox, Outbox, Sent, or others that
    are not newsgroups. The DBX files will be clearly shown as newsgroup files
    because they will be named alt.computer.dbx or alt.computers.dbx, or
    alt.<whatever newsgroup you have ever subscribed to>.dbx.

    5.) You should be looking to failing memory or a bad processor or a
    defective power supply as the source of your maching shutting down. Or, any
    combination of these, or all of them.

    Jeff Strickland, Sep 5, 2009

  2. "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >> "family" <> wrote in message
    >>> The problem is, the computer is both arbitral and capriciously shutting
    >>> down
    >>> any and all newsgroups that we are subscribed to and replacing them with
    >>> newsgroups that we do not want.
    >>> They are as many newsgroups as they are diversified newsgroups.
    >>> As if that were not enough, it is posting all the messages that those
    >>> newsgroups ever received, some going back to the 1980's.
    >>> It will neither allow us to read any of those messages, nor will it
    >>> allow to
    >>> delete any of those messages.
    >>> Nor will it allow us to retrieve any of our lost newsgroups.
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft tells us that such a problem-situation is IMPOSSIBLE.
    >>>

    >> That's what I would tell you too.
    >>
    >> 1.) There is no news server in the universe that will carry content
    >> dating back to the 1980s. That's simply not gonna happen.
    >>
    >> 2.) There is no news client that is going to subscribe you to news groups
    >> all by itself.
    >>
    >> 3.) You can open your news reader and select Tools>Options, click the
    >> Maintenance Tab, and click Clean Now. I normally select the Compact
    >> option, but I'd not hesitate to select Reset in your case. Reset is a
    >> pretty fatal selection, but it will clean up the DBX file structures by
    >> deleting the file contents. The DBX files should remain (I'm not certain
    >> this is true because I've never used this option) but the corrupted data
    >> contained in them will be gone along with the non-corrupted data. You can
    >> not separate the data, so all of it will be wiped out.
    >>
    >> 4.) You can do a File Search of your HDD for "*.DBX" (without the
    >> quotes), and delete all files that are not the Inbox, Outbox, Sent, or
    >> others that are not newsgroups. The DBX files will be clearly shown as
    >> newsgroup files because they will be named alt.computer.dbx or
    >> alt.computers.dbx, or alt.<whatever newsgroup you have ever subscribed
    >> to>.dbx.
    >>
    >> 5.) You should be looking to failing memory or a bad processor or a
    >> defective power supply as the source of your maching shutting down. Or,
    >> any combination of these, or all of them.
    >>

    > Concerning point #4, there are MANY newsgroup names that do NOT start
    > with "alt." (no quotes); for example: sci.geo.petroleum,
    > sci.electronics.equipment, misc.industry.electronics.marketplace,
    > netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey, and sci.electronics.design for
    > starters.
    > Thus the info is incomplete at best and incorrect at worst (perhaps vice
    > versa).

    Good point. I don't subscribe to them so they are not on my radar.

    I was trying to define the DBX files that are not e-mail repositories. Some
    DBX files are not newsgroups, and should be retained UNLESS they are
    corrupted, so one can't do a search for DBX and delete all of the hits.

    I wasn't meaning to define all newsgroups as styarting with alt, but I see
    how that can be understood. Sorry for any confusion.

    Jeff Strickland, Sep 6, 2009