Re: Tech Support?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mayayana, Oct 1, 2013.

  1. Mayayana

    Mayayana Guest

    | BTW, the Apple techies I've chatted with have NO knowledge of the
    | VoiceOver app, and have to put me on hold every few minutes so
    | they can go look up an error code they've "never come across
    | before."

    I went looking into tablets recently for a friend and the
    friendly, helpful Apple clerk couldn't even tell me whether
    the iPad had an accessible file system. He didn't know what
    a file system is. :)

    In their defense, Apple goes on the AOL model: They provide
    a very stable and well designed product for people who
    don't want to have to understand anything and who are willing
    to accept restrictions in exchange for convenience. It's not a
    computer. It's a consumer entertainment device. In general,
    their products have been so dependable that there really isn't
    any reason for their "tech support" to need to understand the
    product, except from a "consumer" point of view, any more than
    the customer needs to understand it.

    I'm curious, though, what you use an iPad for and why you
    bought it. I have a friend who's blind. He uses Jaws on a PC
    and would be lost without it. He's constantly downloading
    articles, lectures, etc. Last weekend I helped him figure out
    how to download EdX lectures (the new, free online classes
    offered by Harvard/MIT) and convert them from .mp4 video
    to .mp3. (It turns out the free, OSS ConvertHelper is very
    accessibility-friendly and works well.)
    I can't imagine what use my friend might have for a
    tablet. If he wants to sit back to listen to lectures he's
    downloaded he can do that in various ways. And the sheer
    tedium he endures trying to do simple things like finding the
    login box on a webpage (or finding the video download link
    on an EdX page) would be all the more troublesome if he had
    to do them with something like a bluetooth keyboard while
    sitting in an easy chair -- presumably without the adveantage
    of Jaws. Meanwhile, he obviously can't use swiping. Since he
    was effectively blind before computer GUIs, due to progressive
    retinitis pigmentosa, he has no way to even conceive of the
    GUI metaphor. Everything is remembered as a series of keyboard
    actions.
    Are there specific things that have made the tablet a
    worthwhile investment for you?

    Mayayana, Oct 1, 2013

  2. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <l2el59$mch$>, Mayayana
    <> wrote:

    > | BTW, the Apple techies I've chatted with have NO knowledge of the
    > | VoiceOver app, and have to put me on hold every few minutes so
    > | they can go look up an error code they've "never come across
    > | before."
    >
    > I went looking into tablets recently for a friend and the
    > friendly, helpful Apple clerk couldn't even tell me whether
    > the iPad had an accessible file system. He didn't know what
    > a file system is. :)

    an accessible file system is not necessary.

    one day you'll realize we've moved beyond that. maybe.

    > In their defense, Apple goes on the AOL model: They provide
    > a very stable and well designed product for people who
    > don't want to have to understand anything and who are willing
    > to accept restrictions in exchange for convenience. It's not a
    > computer.

    it is very definitely a computer.

    > It's a consumer entertainment device.

    it can be, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, no matter
    how much it offends you.

    it can also be a productivity device too.

    by the way, a desktop pc can be (and many times is) a consumer
    entertainment device, whether it's watching youtube videos, playing
    games or simply sitting on a shelf acting as a home theater pc, serving
    up audio and video and nothing else.

    > In general,
    > their products have been so dependable that there really isn't
    > any reason for their "tech support" to need to understand the
    > product, except from a "consumer" point of view, any more than
    > the customer needs to understand it.

    nonsense, and they understand the product just fine.

    what they don't understand or care about is when people like yourself
    ask irrelevant questions, and from what it appears, solely to bait them
    so you can say 'they're stupid and didn't know the answer.'

    > I'm curious, though, what you use an iPad for and why you
    > bought it. I have a friend who's blind. He uses Jaws on a PC
    > and would be lost without it. He's constantly downloading
    > articles, lectures, etc. Last weekend I helped him figure out
    > how to download EdX lectures (the new, free online classes
    > offered by Harvard/MIT) and convert them from .mp4 video
    > to .mp3. (It turns out the free, OSS ConvertHelper is very
    > accessibility-friendly and works well.)

    how often does he take the pc with him?

    this may come to you as a surprise but an ipad is a helluva lot more
    portable than any pc will ever be.

    > I can't imagine what use my friend might have for a
    > tablet. If he wants to sit back to listen to lectures he's
    > downloaded he can do that in various ways. And the sheer
    > tedium he endures trying to do simple things like finding the
    > login box on a webpage (or finding the video download link
    > on an EdX page) would be all the more troublesome if he had
    > to do them with something like a bluetooth keyboard while
    > sitting in an easy chair -- presumably without the adveantage
    > of Jaws. Meanwhile, he obviously can't use swiping. Since he
    > was effectively blind before computer GUIs, due to progressive
    > retinitis pigmentosa, he has no way to even conceive of the
    > GUI metaphor. Everything is remembered as a series of keyboard
    > actions.

    just because one person might not need a tablet doesn't mean nobody
    else does.

    plus, you've obviously never used a tablet or smartphone with assistive
    enabled. it works.

    nospam, Oct 1, 2013

  3. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <l2eqgn$771$>,
    YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle <> wrote:

    > So I am looking for the best available screen, and sturdy build to live
    > in my gear bag. This look like an iPad. The screen is really, really good.
    > May be just after taking them ; since I use CF cards, it should have an
    > usb port of some sort to connect a reader.
    > This does no look like an iPad. It does not connect to the rest of the
    > world.

    an ipad connects to the rest of the world just fine.

    it also has 'a usb port of some sort' and even comes with a usb cable
    in the box.

    if you want to read cf cards, get the camera connection kit.

    > I have made some searching to see if it was possible to use a tablet as
    > a remote controller for a DSLR. The answer is yes (more likely if you
    > own Canon)

    remote control works for both nikon and canon, possibly others.

    the issue is whether the camera offers the ability to be controlled and
    if there's an sdk available. not all do.

    > or no (the control is not complete) or not at all (only some
    > tablets supports the apps that provide some of the functions...
    > On the whole, unlikely for a Nikonist that want full control, and not at
    > all on an iPad.

    wrong. it works just fine for nikon users too and has for several years.

    > And if I owned one, I would also have my ebooks on it. So it should be
    > able to read as many ebooks formats as possible.

    out of the box, an ipad supports the common ebook formats (epub, pdf,
    text) and the rest can be converted. there might even be apps for the
    other formats.

    > I think there is actually no tablet or application on it that cover
    > those needs of a photographer. Or mine. But that is not absurd.
    > Somehow, that is convenient for me because I have not the money for it
    > anyway.

    there are many apps that photographers find useful.

    nospam, Oct 1, 2013
  4. Mayayana

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 10:42:38 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> In their defense, Apple goes on the AOL model: They provide
    >> a very stable and well designed product for people who
    >> don't want to have to understand anything and who are willing
    >> to accept restrictions in exchange for convenience. It's not a
    >> computer.

    >it is very definitely a computer.

    >this may come to you as a surprise but an ipad is a helluva lot more
    >portable than any pc will ever be.

    If an iPad is "very definitely" a computer, how is more portable than
    what it is?

    "PC" simply means "Personal Computer".
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Oct 1, 2013
  5. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> In their defense, Apple goes on the AOL model: They provide
    > >> a very stable and well designed product for people who
    > >> don't want to have to understand anything and who are willing
    > >> to accept restrictions in exchange for convenience. It's not a
    > >> computer.

    > >it is very definitely a computer.

    > >this may come to you as a surprise but an ipad is a helluva lot more
    > >portable than any pc will ever be.

    > If an iPad is "very definitely" a computer, how is more portable than
    > what it is?
    >
    > "PC" simply means "Personal Computer".

    arguing just to argue, as always.

    you know quite well what is meant by pc.

    nospam, Oct 1, 2013
  6. Mayayana

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 12:48:33 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >it is very definitely a computer.

    >> >this may come to you as a surprise but an ipad is a helluva lot more
    >> >portable than any pc will ever be.

    >> If an iPad is "very definitely" a computer, how is more portable than
    >> what it is?
    >>
    >> "PC" simply means "Personal Computer".

    >arguing just to argue, as always.
    >
    >you know quite well what is meant by pc.

    No argument provided. I simply pointed out an error.

    Isn't that why you say you are here? To correct errors that others
    make?
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Oct 1, 2013
  7. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <l2euiu$j7q$>,
    YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle <> wrote:

    > >> So I am looking for the best available screen, and sturdy build to live
    > >> in my gear bag. This look like an iPad. The screen is really, really good.
    > >> May be just after taking them ; since I use CF cards, it should have an
    > >> usb port of some sort to connect a reader.
    > >> This does no look like an iPad. It does not connect to the rest of the
    > >> world.

    > > an ipad connects to the rest of the world just fine.
    > >
    > > it also has 'a usb port of some sort'

    > You should inform Apple marketing service of that, then. You have a usb
    > port on your iPad and you are the only one.

    they are well aware of the capabilities of their products.

    > and even comes with a usb cable
    > > in the box.

    > Nah, it is the "lightning " to usb. Does not make it an usb port. Does
    > not give it hosting capabilities.

    'a usb port of some sort' does not say 'hosting' and most android
    tablets don't have a usb hosting port either.

    usb hosting is not needed on a tablet. who wants to have a tablet with
    a bunch of devices hanging off it?

    reading memory cards is needed on occasion for a small subset of users,
    so the ability to do that is via a camera connector, for both ipad and
    android. in fact, samsung's camera connector looks exactly the same as
    apple's camera connector.

    > > if you want to read cf cards, get the camera connection kit.
    > >
    > >> I have made some searching to see if it was possible to use a tablet as
    > >> a remote controller for a DSLR. The answer is yes (more likely if you
    > >> own Canon)

    > > remote control works for both nikon and canon, possibly others.

    > > the issue is whether the camera offers the ability to be controlled and
    > > if there's an sdk available. not all do.

    > As far as I know, Nikon does not offer an SDK for iOS. Nor for Androîd,
    > yet. (I have dropped the search after a while). And yes of course the
    > camera offer the possiblity ; the sdk is for MacOS and windows.
    > Really I fail to understant how it works for nikon users "from years"
    > without sdk for writing the apps.

    neither does canon:
    <http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/sdk_homepage>
    There are two (2) current Canon Digital Camera SDK versions:
    EDSDK 2.13 Windows version for select EOS Digital SLRs
    EDSDK 2.13 Macintosh version for select EOS Digital SLRs

    remote control apps use either a mac or windows computer to talk to the
    camera or there is another device as a go-between.

    another way is by reverse engineering the protocol, which could be done
    for any camera, but that is a lot of work and subject to any future
    changes.

    > >> or no (the control is not complete) or not at all (only some
    > >> tablets supports the apps that provide some of the functions...
    > >> On the whole, unlikely for a Nikonist that want full control, and not at
    > >> all on an iPad.

    > > wrong. it works just fine for nikon users too and has for several years.

    > Name the app ? How do you connect ? What can you control ? I am not
    > speaking of remote shutter, but real control like I have from my
    > computer, an usb cable and a 50 ¤ application.

    here's one:
    <http://www.camranger.com/>

    > > there are many apps that photographers find useful.

    > That I do not deny.
    > My main use would be a kind of very flexible show book.
    > Synchronised with my ownCloud server. (hence, Androïd).
    > The retina screen is just much better than nything else.

    you can use your own cloud server with an ipad.

    > Anyway, can you name a random display diaporama app on iOS ? I'll give
    > it a try on a borrowed iPad.

    not offhand. there's roughly 1 million apps and i don't keep track of
    every single one of them.

    nospam, Oct 1, 2013
  8. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> If an iPad is "very definitely" a computer, how is more portable than
    > >> what it is?
    > >>
    > >> "PC" simply means "Personal Computer".

    > >arguing just to argue, as always.
    > >
    > >you know quite well what is meant by pc.

    > No argument provided. I simply pointed out an error.

    it's not an error. you're just arguing to argue because you have
    nothing better to do.

    nospam, Oct 1, 2013
  9. Mayayana

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>, tonycooper214
    @gmail.com says...

    > On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 12:48:33 -0400, nospam <>
    > wrote:

    > >> If an iPad is "very definitely" a computer, how is more portable than
    > >> what it is?
    > >>
    > >> "PC" simply means "Personal Computer".

    > >arguing just to argue, as always.
    > >
    > >you know quite well what is meant by pc.

    > No argument provided. I simply pointed out an error.
    >
    > Isn't that why you say you are here? To correct errors that others
    > make?

    Since it's an Apple device and since the PC is Apple's traditional
    enemy, calling it a PC is fighting words to an Apple fan.

    J. Clarke, Oct 1, 2013
  10. Mayayana

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 13:35:13 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >arguing just to argue, as always.
    >> >
    >> >you know quite well what is meant by pc.

    >> No argument provided. I simply pointed out an error.

    >it's not an error. you're just arguing to argue because you have
    >nothing better to do.

    So you are going to argue about this?

    Is, is not, looks like an argument to me.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Oct 1, 2013
  11. Mayayana

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 14:13:48 -0400, "J. Clarke" <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, tonycooper214
    >@gmail.com says...
    >>
    >> On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 12:48:33 -0400, nospam <>
    >> wrote:

    >> >arguing just to argue, as always.
    >> >
    >> >you know quite well what is meant by pc.

    >> No argument provided. I simply pointed out an error.
    >>
    >> Isn't that why you say you are here? To correct errors that others
    >> make?

    >Since it's an Apple device and since the PC is Apple's traditional
    >enemy, calling it a PC is fighting words to an Apple fan.

    In nospam's context, an Apple computer is the same as a PC.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Oct 1, 2013
  12. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, J. Clarke
    <> wrote:

    > > >arguing just to argue, as always.
    > > >
    > > >you know quite well what is meant by pc.

    > > No argument provided. I simply pointed out an error.
    > >
    > > Isn't that why you say you are here? To correct errors that others
    > > make?

    > Since it's an Apple device and since the PC is Apple's traditional
    > enemy, calling it a PC is fighting words to an Apple fan.

    has nothing to do with enemies or fanboism.

    the term pc means windows pc.

    nospam, Oct 1, 2013
  13. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> No argument provided. I simply pointed out an error.

    > >it's not an error. you're just arguing to argue because you have
    > >nothing better to do.

    > So you are going to argue about this?
    >
    > Is, is not, looks like an argument to me.

    just pointing out your hypocrisy.

    nospam, Oct 1, 2013
  14. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> No argument provided. I simply pointed out an error.
    > >>
    > >> Isn't that why you say you are here? To correct errors that others
    > >> make?

    > >Since it's an Apple device and since the PC is Apple's traditional
    > >enemy, calling it a PC is fighting words to an Apple fan.
    > >

    > In nospam's context, an Apple computer is the same as a PC.

    nonsense. i've never said nor implied anything of the sort. you are
    once again, lying.

    pc means windows pc, and i'm sure you know that too.

    nospam, Oct 1, 2013
  15. Mayayana

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>, tonycooper214
    @gmail.com says...

    > On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 14:13:48 -0400, "J. Clarke" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, tonycooper214
    > >@gmail.com says...

    > >> No argument provided. I simply pointed out an error.
    > >>
    > >> Isn't that why you say you are here? To correct errors that others
    > >> make?

    > >Since it's an Apple device and since the PC is Apple's traditional
    > >enemy, calling it a PC is fighting words to an Apple fan.
    > >

    > In nospam's context, an Apple computer is the same as a PC.

    <sigh> I tried.

    J. Clarke, Oct 1, 2013
  16. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <l2f77e$qnj$>,
    YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle <> wrote:

    > > you can use your own cloud server with an ipad.

    > I was not speaking of my own cloud server with some cloud service
    > talking to ios device, I was speaking of my OwnCloud server (and yes,
    > hosted on my own server, cloudy itself, that may be a bit confusing ;) ).
    > I know for sure it will synchronise with an Androïd device client.
    > IOS client does not seems to be up to date.

    they updated their ios app 10 days ago, which is 2 days after the
    android version was last updated. if it doesn't work, that's their own
    fault, not apple's fault.

    and it looks like the android version isn't all that wonderful, with a
    3.2 out of 5 rating and quite a few 'it doesn't work' reviews.

    nospam, Oct 1, 2013
  17. Mayayana

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 14:24:07 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >Since it's an Apple device and since the PC is Apple's traditional
    >> >enemy, calling it a PC is fighting words to an Apple fan.
    >> >

    >> In nospam's context, an Apple computer is the same as a PC.

    >nonsense. i've never said nor implied anything of the sort. you are
    >once again, lying.
    >
    >pc means windows pc, and i'm sure you know that too.

    Of course you implied it. You made the statement that an iPad is more
    portable than a PC will ever be. You meant, of course, a desktop unit
    and not just a system that uses Windows. The same is true for an
    Apple desktop or a Windows desktop.

    Unless, of course, you want to try to make the point that an iPad and
    a desktop Apple computer are equal in portability. Want to try that?

    I suppose you could have meant a laptop and not a desktop, but you
    have the same context issue. An Apple laptop and a Windows laptop are
    the same as far as making comparisons of portability with an iPad.

    You going to continue to weasel?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Oct 1, 2013
  18. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <l2fajp$822$>,
    YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle <> wrote:

    > > they updated their ios app 10 days ago, which is 2 days after the
    > > android version was last updated. if it doesn't work, that's their own
    > > fault, not apple's fault.

    > Well, when I looked on appstore it was written version 2, and the
    > current version of ownCloud is 5.

    you obviously didn't look on the android play store, since the version
    number of the android app, which you claim to be using, is 1.4.5.

    not that it matters, since version numbers don't mean a whole lot. what
    matters is if the app does what it claims to do.

    > > and it looks like the android version isn't all that wonderful, with a
    > > 3.2 out of 5 rating and quite a few 'it doesn't work' reviews.

    > Oh. Bad news then.
    > Anyway OwnCloud is sometimes awkward and the user/admin interface is
    > odd. But it works for me, on the whole.

    ok.

    nospam, Oct 1, 2013
  19. Mayayana

    nospam Guest

    In article <2013100113440429267-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > > An iPad porfolio would be nice, but that's no priority in a tight
    > > budget. And how will it synchronise with my OwnCloud server?

    > I would imagine that there would be some way to sync to "Owncloud". I
    > use both Dropbox and PogoPlug without issue.

    using the owncloud app would be the first thing to try.

    nospam, Oct 1, 2013
  20. Mayayana

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/1/2013 1:35 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> an ipad connects to the rest of the world just fine.
    >>>
    >>> it also has 'a usb port of some sort'

    >> You should inform Apple marketing service of that, then. You have a usb
    >> port on your iPad and you are the only one.

    > they are well aware of the capabilities of their products.

    Whoosh!

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Oct 1, 2013