Re: TDK produces 200 GB Blu-ray disc using only 6 layers!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Nomen Nescio, May 7, 2006.

  1. Nomen Nescio

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    While CD has been totally reliable, I find even a single layer DVD+R to be
    prone to problems. I do not use full face paper labels, write on the
    discs, or print on them.

    JVC dvd+r discs are recognized by the set top dvdr and are written to okay.
    Once finalized, the dvdr doesn't see the disc but it seems to play okay on
    a dvd player.

    Maxell dvd+r discs work fine in the dvdr for both recording and playback.

    Occasionally the dvdr doesn't load the Maxell finalized disc but cleaning
    the disc and laser seems to restore its function. Are these discs and
    machines more sensitive to dusty environments than cds? With more data
    crammed into the same disc area and with less redundancy of data, it would
    seem to explain why they're touchy.

    I found full face paper labeling to be playing Russian Roulette with my DVD
    recordings, but I don't know why, since I label CDs that way with no
    problems, ever.
    Nomen Nescio, May 7, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Nomen Nescio

    J Brockley Guest

    "Nomen Nescio" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > While CD has been totally reliable, I find even a single layer DVD+R to be
    > prone to problems. I do not use full face paper labels, write on the
    > discs, or print on them.
    >
    > JVC dvd+r discs are recognized by the set top dvdr and are written to
    > okay.
    > Once finalized, the dvdr doesn't see the disc but it seems to play okay on
    > a dvd player.
    >
    > Maxell dvd+r discs work fine in the dvdr for both recording and playback.
    >
    > Occasionally the dvdr doesn't load the Maxell finalized disc but cleaning
    > the disc and laser seems to restore its function. Are these discs and
    > machines more sensitive to dusty environments than cds? With more data
    > crammed into the same disc area and with less redundancy of data, it would
    > seem to explain why they're touchy.
    >
    > I found full face paper labeling to be playing Russian Roulette with my
    > DVD
    > recordings, but I don't know why, since I label CDs that way with no
    > problems, ever.
    >

    Strange that labelling should be a problem as unlike CD where the recordable
    layer is on top protected only by a lacquer coating the DVD layer is
    sandwiched between two layers of plastic. The result being that if you
    scatch the top of a DVD no harm unlike CD where the recorded layer is
    damaged.
    I'd also be looking at your recorder as iewing disks after recording is
    simply not a issue I've ever had.
    J Brockley, May 7, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Nomen Nescio wrote:
    > While CD has been totally reliable, I find even a single layer DVD+R to be
    > prone to problems. I do not use full face paper labels, write on the
    > discs, or print on them.
    >
    > JVC dvd+r discs are recognized by the set top dvdr and are written to okay.
    > Once finalized, the dvdr doesn't see the disc but it seems to play okay on
    > a dvd player.
    >
    > Maxell dvd+r discs work fine in the dvdr for both recording and playback.
    >
    > Occasionally the dvdr doesn't load the Maxell finalized disc but cleaning
    > the disc and laser seems to restore its function. Are these discs and
    > machines more sensitive to dusty environments than cds? With more data
    > crammed into the same disc area and with less redundancy of data, it would
    > seem to explain why they're touchy.
    >
    > I found full face paper labeling to be playing Russian Roulette with my DVD
    > recordings, but I don't know why, since I label CDs that way with no
    > problems, ever.
    >
    >

    I have several hundred movies on DVD-R, all with full paper labels.
    They play just fine in my computer (Plextor PX-716A) and in my DVD
    player (Denon DVD-1600). But when I make a DVD to give to friends, I've
    learned not to apply the paper labels because they may not play in the
    friend's DVD player. I learned this when one of my friends became
    frustrated when my DVD wouldn't play for her, so she removed the label
    and it played just fine. Trouble is, she didn't get all the adhesive
    off, and the DVD stuck in her player. Her husband was not amused, but
    he took the cover off his DVD player and managed to retrieve the DVD. I
    told this story to another friend who couldn't play one of my disks, and
    he removed the label (and the adhesive, using alcohol) and then it too
    would play in his DVD player.

    In my experience, Ritek RiData DVD-R disks are the only blanks that work
    dependably. Once I had some off-brand disks that recorded nicely and
    played back nicely for about a week, and then whatever files were
    recorded on the disk seemed just to evaporate. I stick with Ritek
    RiData now.

    Also, just a couple of days ago I got a new printer -- an Epson Stylus
    Photo RX700. It has a special tray that allows it to print directly on
    printable CDs and DVDs. I've found printable Ritek RiData DVDs from
    Meritline are little more expensive than plain shiny blanks. And the
    results are very very nice -- the disks look like they've been
    professionally produced.

    I figure the reason the disks with paper labels won't play in my
    friends' DVD players is the mass of the labels, not some damage done by
    the adhesive. The disks with labels are slightly heavier. My guess is
    that either the slightly increased DVD weight or size caused by the
    addition of paper and adhesive causes the disks to fail in some
    players. It's not because the glue eats through the plastic.

    --

    Bill Anderson

    I am the Mighty Favog
    Bill Anderson, May 7, 2006
    #3
  4. Nomen Nescio

    JAS Guest

    I've had to return Memorex labels because they were about 2 X heavier than
    normal. They caused all kinds of problems.
    Don't buy Memorex Labels.

    "Bill Anderson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Nomen Nescio wrote:
    >> While CD has been totally reliable, I find even a single layer DVD+R to
    >> be
    >> prone to problems. I do not use full face paper labels, write on the
    >> discs, or print on them.
    >>
    >> JVC dvd+r discs are recognized by the set top dvdr and are written to
    >> okay.
    >> Once finalized, the dvdr doesn't see the disc but it seems to play okay
    >> on
    >> a dvd player.
    >>
    >> Maxell dvd+r discs work fine in the dvdr for both recording and playback.
    >>
    >> Occasionally the dvdr doesn't load the Maxell finalized disc but cleaning
    >> the disc and laser seems to restore its function. Are these discs and
    >> machines more sensitive to dusty environments than cds? With more data
    >> crammed into the same disc area and with less redundancy of data, it
    >> would
    >> seem to explain why they're touchy.
    >>
    >> I found full face paper labeling to be playing Russian Roulette with my
    >> DVD
    >> recordings, but I don't know why, since I label CDs that way with no
    >> problems, ever.
    >>
    >>

    > I have several hundred movies on DVD-R, all with full paper labels. They
    > play just fine in my computer (Plextor PX-716A) and in my DVD player
    > (Denon DVD-1600). But when I make a DVD to give to friends, I've learned
    > not to apply the paper labels because they may not play in the friend's
    > DVD player. I learned this when one of my friends became frustrated when
    > my DVD wouldn't play for her, so she removed the label and it played just
    > fine. Trouble is, she didn't get all the adhesive off, and the DVD stuck
    > in her player. Her husband was not amused, but he took the cover off his
    > DVD player and managed to retrieve the DVD. I told this story to another
    > friend who couldn't play one of my disks, and he removed the label (and
    > the adhesive, using alcohol) and then it too would play in his DVD player.
    >
    > In my experience, Ritek RiData DVD-R disks are the only blanks that work
    > dependably. Once I had some off-brand disks that recorded nicely and
    > played back nicely for about a week, and then whatever files were recorded
    > on the disk seemed just to evaporate. I stick with Ritek RiData now.
    >
    > Also, just a couple of days ago I got a new printer -- an Epson Stylus
    > Photo RX700. It has a special tray that allows it to print directly on
    > printable CDs and DVDs. I've found printable Ritek RiData DVDs from
    > Meritline are little more expensive than plain shiny blanks. And the
    > results are very very nice -- the disks look like they've been
    > professionally produced.
    > I figure the reason the disks with paper labels won't play in my friends'
    > DVD players is the mass of the labels, not some damage done by the
    > adhesive. The disks with labels are slightly heavier. My guess is that
    > either the slightly increased DVD weight or size caused by the addition of
    > paper and adhesive causes the disks to fail in some players. It's not
    > because the glue eats through the plastic.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bill Anderson
    >
    > I am the Mighty Favog
    JAS, May 7, 2006
    #4
  5. In article <t%n7g.3530$4H.360@dukeread03>, JAS <> wrote:

    > Don't buy Memorex Labels.


    Don't buy Memorex *products* -- even easier.
    Barry McCockiner, May 7, 2006
    #5
  6. JAS wrote:
    > I've had to return Memorex labels because they were about 2 X heavier than
    > normal. They caused all kinds of problems.
    > Don't buy Memorex Labels.
    >
    >

    Bingo. I've been using Memorex labels. But now with the new printer, I
    plan to use no labels at all.

    --
    Bill Anderson

    I am the Mighty Favog
    Bill Anderson, May 7, 2006
    #6
  7. Nomen Nescio

    Guest

    problem with the paper labels is they unbalance the DVD rotation,,,

    Had the same problem putting labels on DVDs,,,they will not play on
    all players,,,computer drives seem less sensitive to this problem.

    Note - reg CDs do not seem to be sensitive to this problem,,,never had
    a nusic or data CD not work.


    Bill Anderson <> wrote:

    >JAS wrote:
    >> I've had to return Memorex labels because they were about 2 X heavier than
    >> normal. They caused all kinds of problems.
    >> Don't buy Memorex Labels.
    >>
    >>

    >Bingo. I've been using Memorex labels. But now with the new printer, I
    >plan to use no labels at all.
    >
    >--
    >Bill Anderson
    >
    >I am the Mighty Favog
    , May 8, 2006
    #7
  8. Nomen Nescio

    Mike Ray Guest

    Bill Anderson wrote:
    > Nomen Nescio wrote:
    >
    >> While CD has been totally reliable, I find even a single layer DVD+R
    >> to be
    >> prone to problems. I do not use full face paper labels, write on the
    >> discs, or print on them.
    >>
    >> JVC dvd+r discs are recognized by the set top dvdr and are written to
    >> okay.
    >> Once finalized, the dvdr doesn't see the disc but it seems to play
    >> okay on
    >> a dvd player.
    >>
    >> Maxell dvd+r discs work fine in the dvdr for both recording and playback.
    >>
    >> Occasionally the dvdr doesn't load the Maxell finalized disc but cleaning
    >> the disc and laser seems to restore its function. Are these discs and
    >> machines more sensitive to dusty environments than cds? With more data
    >> crammed into the same disc area and with less redundancy of data, it
    >> would
    >> seem to explain why they're touchy.
    >>
    >> I found full face paper labeling to be playing Russian Roulette with
    >> my DVD
    >> recordings, but I don't know why, since I label CDs that way with no
    >> problems, ever.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > I have several hundred movies on DVD-R, all with full paper labels.
    > They play just fine in my computer (Plextor PX-716A) and in my DVD
    > player (Denon DVD-1600). But when I make a DVD to give to friends, I've
    > learned not to apply the paper labels because they may not play in the
    > friend's DVD player. I learned this when one of my friends became
    > frustrated when my DVD wouldn't play for her, so she removed the label
    > and it played just fine. Trouble is, she didn't get all the adhesive
    > off, and the DVD stuck in her player. Her husband was not amused, but
    > he took the cover off his DVD player and managed to retrieve the DVD. I
    > told this story to another friend who couldn't play one of my disks, and
    > he removed the label (and the adhesive, using alcohol) and then it too
    > would play in his DVD player.
    >
    > In my experience, Ritek RiData DVD-R disks are the only blanks that work
    > dependably. Once I had some off-brand disks that recorded nicely and
    > played back nicely for about a week, and then whatever files were
    > recorded on the disk seemed just to evaporate. I stick with Ritek
    > RiData now.
    >
    > Also, just a couple of days ago I got a new printer -- an Epson Stylus
    > Photo RX700. It has a special tray that allows it to print directly on
    > printable CDs and DVDs. I've found printable Ritek RiData DVDs from
    > Meritline are little more expensive than plain shiny blanks. And the
    > results are very very nice -- the disks look like they've been
    > professionally produced.
    > I figure the reason the disks with paper labels won't play in my
    > friends' DVD players is the mass of the labels, not some damage done by
    > the adhesive. The disks with labels are slightly heavier. My guess is
    > that either the slightly increased DVD weight or size caused by the
    > addition of paper and adhesive causes the disks to fail in some
    > players. It's not because the glue eats through the plastic.
    >

    How about Lightscribe?? Any one using them?
    -Mike
    Mike Ray, May 8, 2006
    #8
  9. Nomen Nescio

    Axel VK Guest

    "Bill Anderson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Nomen Nescio wrote:
    >> While CD has been totally reliable, I find even a single layer DVD+R to
    >> be
    >> prone to problems. I do not use full face paper labels, write on the
    >> discs, or print on them.
    >>
    >> JVC dvd+r discs are recognized by the set top dvdr and are written to
    >> okay.
    >> Once finalized, the dvdr doesn't see the disc but it seems to play okay
    >> on
    >> a dvd player.
    >>
    >> Maxell dvd+r discs work fine in the dvdr for both recording and playback.
    >>
    >> Occasionally the dvdr doesn't load the Maxell finalized disc but cleaning
    >> the disc and laser seems to restore its function. Are these discs and
    >> machines more sensitive to dusty environments than cds? With more data
    >> crammed into the same disc area and with less redundancy of data, it
    >> would
    >> seem to explain why they're touchy.
    >>
    >> I found full face paper labeling to be playing Russian Roulette with my
    >> DVD
    >> recordings, but I don't know why, since I label CDs that way with no
    >> problems, ever.
    >>
    >>

    > I have several hundred movies on DVD-R, all with full paper labels. They
    > play just fine in my computer (Plextor PX-716A) and in my DVD player
    > (Denon DVD-1600). But when I make a DVD to give to friends, I've learned
    > not to apply the paper labels because they may not play in the friend's
    > DVD player. I learned this when one of my friends became frustrated when
    > my DVD wouldn't play for her, so she removed the label and it played just
    > fine. Trouble is, she didn't get all the adhesive off, and the DVD stuck
    > in her player. Her husband was not amused, but he took the cover off his
    > DVD player and managed to retrieve the DVD. I told this story to another
    > friend who couldn't play one of my disks, and he removed the label (and
    > the adhesive, using alcohol) and then it too would play in his DVD player.
    >
    > In my experience, Ritek RiData DVD-R disks are the only blanks that work
    > dependably. Once I had some off-brand disks that recorded nicely and
    > played back nicely for about a week, and then whatever files were recorded
    > on the disk seemed just to evaporate. I stick with Ritek RiData now.


    Same thing here. I only use Ritek, the only reliable disc that I've found.
    Axel VK, May 9, 2006
    #9
  10. Nomen Nescio

    Alpha Guest

    I just had an entire batch of 50 Ritek DVD+RW (note: Rewritables) fail to
    be recognized by any recorder. They are totally and completely defective.

    Taiyo Yuden is the most reliable for DVD-R (write once).
    Alpha, May 9, 2006
    #10
  11. Nomen Nescio

    Axel VK Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I just had an entire batch of 50 Ritek DVD+RW (note: Rewritables) fail to
    >be recognized by any recorder. They are totally and completely defective.
    >
    > Taiyo Yuden is the most reliable for DVD-R (write once).


    Not so. Ritek is the best as far as I'm concerned and it also the most
    compatible, which is as important as reliability. If not more, what is the
    use of a DVD if it does work in ones own player?
    Axel VK, May 9, 2006
    #11
  12. Nomen Nescio

    Alpha Guest

    "Axel VK" <> wrote in message
    news:446067a0$0$3284$...
    >
    > "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >>I just had an entire batch of 50 Ritek DVD+RW (note: Rewritables) fail
    >>to be recognized by any recorder. They are totally and completely
    >>defective.
    >>
    >> Taiyo Yuden is the most reliable for DVD-R (write once).

    >
    > Not so. Ritek is the best as far as I'm concerned and it also the most
    > compatible, which is as important as reliability. If not more, what is the
    > use of a DVD if it does work in ones own player?
    >


    You are wrong...and lab. tests prove it.
    Alpha, May 9, 2006
    #12
  13. Nomen Nescio

    Axel VK Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "Axel VK" <> wrote in message
    > news:446067a0$0$3284$...
    >>
    >> "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>>I just had an entire batch of 50 Ritek DVD+RW (note: Rewritables) fail
    >>>to be recognized by any recorder. They are totally and completely
    >>>defective.
    >>>
    >>> Taiyo Yuden is the most reliable for DVD-R (write once).

    >>
    >> Not so. Ritek is the best as far as I'm concerned and it also the most
    >> compatible, which is as important as reliability. If not more, what is
    >> the use of a DVD if it does work in ones own player?
    >>

    >
    > You are wrong...and lab. tests prove it.


    Give me strength.......

    There is no such thing as 'right' and 'wrong' when it comes to
    compatability.
    A certain brand disc works well with your burner/player(s) combination but
    not with a different combination. Therefore, each person needs to find the
    brand of disc that works for his/her combination.

    THAT is a proven fact!
    Axel VK, May 11, 2006
    #13
  14. Nomen Nescio

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Axel VK" <> wrote in message
    news:44631530$0$16032$...
    >
    >
    > Give me strength.......
    >
    > There is no such thing as 'right' and 'wrong' when it comes to
    > compatability.
    > A certain brand disc works well with your burner/player(s) combination but
    > not with a different combination. Therefore, each person needs to find the
    > brand of disc that works for his/her combination.
    >
    > THAT is a proven fact!


    I agree, that said;

    RiData hasn't failed me yet.
    (printable & nonprintable DVD+R and DVD+RW)

    Luck;
    Ken
    Ken Maltby, May 12, 2006
    #14
  15. Nomen Nescio

    Alpha Guest

    "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "Axel VK" <> wrote in message
    > news:44631530$0$16032$...
    >>
    >>
    >> Give me strength.......
    >>
    >> There is no such thing as 'right' and 'wrong' when it comes to
    >> compatability.
    >> A certain brand disc works well with your burner/player(s) combination
    >> but not with a different combination. Therefore, each person needs to
    >> find the brand of disc that works for his/her combination.
    >>
    >> THAT is a proven fact!

    >
    > I agree, that said;
    >
    > RiData hasn't failed me yet.
    > (printable & nonprintable DVD+R and DVD+RW)
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken
    >
    >


    Well it has me....and that is a proven fact. Do some research and find I am
    far from alone.
    Alpha, May 12, 2006
    #15
  16. Nomen Nescio

    Axel VK Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >>
    >> "Axel VK" <> wrote in message
    >> news:44631530$0$16032$...
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Give me strength.......
    >>>
    >>> There is no such thing as 'right' and 'wrong' when it comes to
    >>> compatability.
    >>> A certain brand disc works well with your burner/player(s) combination
    >>> but not with a different combination. Therefore, each person needs to
    >>> find the brand of disc that works for his/her combination.
    >>>
    >>> THAT is a proven fact!

    >>
    >> I agree, that said;
    >>
    >> RiData hasn't failed me yet.
    >> (printable & nonprintable DVD+R and DVD+RW)
    >>
    >> Luck;
    >> Ken
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Well it has me....and that is a proven fact. Do some research and find I
    > am far from alone.


    Good for you and I'm not saying that you're alone either. What I AM saying
    is what works for you will not work for everyone. Each persons setup is
    different.
    Ridata works for me, has never let me down and its compatible with all my
    equipment so thats my flavor.
    Axel VK, May 12, 2006
    #16
  17. Nomen Nescio

    Gary Dale Guest

    Axel VK wrote:
    > "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >>"Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>
    >>>"Axel VK" <> wrote in message
    >>>news:44631530$0$16032$...
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>>Give me strength.......
    >>>>
    >>>>There is no such thing as 'right' and 'wrong' when it comes to
    >>>>compatability.
    >>>>A certain brand disc works well with your burner/player(s) combination
    >>>>but not with a different combination. Therefore, each person needs to
    >>>>find the brand of disc that works for his/her combination.
    >>>>
    >>>>THAT is a proven fact!
    >>>
    >>> I agree, that said;
    >>>
    >>>RiData hasn't failed me yet.
    >>>(printable & nonprintable DVD+R and DVD+RW)
    >>>
    >>>Luck;
    >>> Ken
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >>Well it has me....and that is a proven fact. Do some research and find I
    >>am far from alone.

    >
    >
    > Good for you and I'm not saying that you're alone either. What I AM saying
    > is what works for you will not work for everyone. Each persons setup is
    > different.
    > Ridata works for me, has never let me down and its compatible with all my
    > equipment so thats my flavor.
    >
    >



    Ri(whatever) never worked for me. Also had some problems with off-brands
    and Mitsumi. I've found Maxell, Memorex, and Verbatim to be good.

    I also swear by LG rewriters. Not only do they handle DVD-RAM, but they
    seem to be reliable, unlike other rewriters I've tried.

    I use generic paper labels on occasion, but prefer to use the ink-jet
    printable DVDs. Neither have caused me any problems.
    Gary Dale, May 18, 2006
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Allan

    Blu-ray Movie Disc Format Unveild

    Allan, Aug 15, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    395
    Allan
    Aug 15, 2004
  2. Allan
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    446
    Allan
    Sep 24, 2004
  3. Allan
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    649
    RichA
    Mar 19, 2005
  4. J
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    716
  5. Blig Merk
    Replies:
    66
    Views:
    1,828
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt
    Apr 27, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page