    which is D. The correct answer is A in fact but I just wanted to see
    what the experts on this board thought. Thanks.

    //j

    Luzanilla Jose, Sep 9, 2004

  2. Luzanilla  Jose

    molsonexpert Guest

    "Luzanilla Jose" <> wrote in message
    news:chppri$...
    > I got this question from an MCSE course that I am taking. I figured A
    > would be the correct answer but then I also noticed the other choice
    > which is D. The correct answer is A in fact but I just wanted to see
    > what the experts on this board thought. Thanks.
    >
    > //j

    The lessons to be learned are: train yourself to read the question properly,
    and watch for ambiguity on the real exam, because MS will do this. All the
    answers are correct, but only A is absolutely specific to the question. The
    question was to test for the TCP/IP stack, not whether you could confirm
    connectivity on the other side of a router.

    my 0.02 (Cdn.).

    steve

    molsonexpert, Sep 9, 2004

  3. Luzanilla  Jose

    Ben Guest

    > I got this question from an MCSE course that I am taking. I figured A
    > would be the correct answer but then I also noticed the other choice
    > which is D. The correct answer is A in fact but I just wanted to see
    > what the experts on this board thought. Thanks.
    >
    > //j

    Ha!
    <Dances>
    I was right and you were wrong,
    I'm gonna sing the I was right song...

    :)

    Ben, Sep 9, 2004
  4. circa 9 Sep 2004 07:37:38 -0700, in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse,
    Luzanilla Jose () said,
    > I got this question from an MCSE course that I am taking. I figured A
    > would be the correct answer but then I also noticed the other choice
    > which is D. The correct answer is A in fact but I just wanted to see
    > what the experts on this board thought. Thanks.

    I disagree with the "correct" answer given. :)

    Laura
    -Oscar Wilde

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 9, 2004
  5. circa Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:45:17 -0400, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, molsonexpert () said,
    > > I got this question from an MCSE course that I am taking. I figured A
    > > would be the correct answer but then I also noticed the other choice
    > > which is D. The correct answer is A in fact but I just wanted to see
    > > what the experts on this board thought. Thanks.
    > >
    > > //j
    > >

    > The lessons to be learned are: train yourself to read the question properly,
    > and watch for ambiguity on the real exam, because MS will do this. All the
    > answers are correct, but only A is absolutely specific to the question. The
    > question was to test for the TCP/IP stack, not whether you could confirm
    > connectivity on the other side of a router.

    That was not the question.

    Laura
    -Oscar Wilde

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 9, 2004
  6. circa Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:45:17 -0400, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, molsonexpert () said,
    > > I got this question from an MCSE course that I am taking. I figured A
    > > would be the correct answer but then I also noticed the other choice
    > > which is D. The correct answer is A in fact but I just wanted to see
    > > what the experts on this board thought. Thanks.
    > >
    > > //j
    > >

    > The lessons to be learned are: train yourself to read the question properly,
    > and watch for ambiguity on the real exam, because MS will do this. All the
    > answers are correct, but only A is absolutely specific to the question. The
    > question was to test for the TCP/IP stack, not whether you could confirm
    > connectivity on the other side of a router.

    BTW, that is *not* representative of a question that you would see on
    the exam. Microsoft would have actually provided enough specificity
    to eliminate the ambiguity- *if* you know your stuff, the questions
    are *not* ambiguous.

    And, for the flitwit who asked if I'd ever taken a Microsoft exam, I
    am quite confident in saying that I've probably taken ten times the
    number of them that s/he has. I've had more involvement in the exam
    process than simply taking them, in fact, and I know what goes into
    the question contruction. What I say above is one of the
    *requirements* of the questions that make it into the exams. For a
    person who knows his or her stuff, every question must have one
    *clearly* correct answer, one *clearly* incorrect answer and two or
    more answers that would potentially trip up a person who doesn't
    really know his or her stuff.

    So, again, despite the claims of some, Microsoft does not expect the
    "Microsoft answer". I could write a huge tome about the exam
    development process, but I can simply summarize by saying that if you
    think the questions are ambiguous, then you don't know the material
    well enough.

    My two cents,

    Laura
    -Oscar Wilde

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 9, 2004
  7. Luzanilla  Jose

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Laura A. Robinson climbed on a soapbox
    & opined:

    > circa 9 Sep 2004 07:37:38 -0700, in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse,
    > Luzanilla Jose () said,
    >> I got this question from an MCSE course that I am taking. I figured A
    >> would be the correct answer but then I also noticed the other choice
    >> which is D. The correct answer is A in fact but I just wanted to see
    >> what the experts on this board thought. Thanks.
    >>

    > I disagree with the "correct" answer given. :)
    >
    > Laura

    Anybody bring any more pocorn?

    Pass me another one of those Canadians, Rowdy.

    JaR
    Ringside Thug

    *Vote for Me*

    JaR, Sep 9, 2004
  8. Luzanilla  Jose

    kpg Guest

    "Laura A. Robinson" <> wrote in message
    > # Name resolution details: file://c:\temp\145375.htm (9/9/2004 11:13:59

    AM) #
    > circa Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:45:17 -0400, in
    > microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, molsonexpert () said,
    > > > I got this question from an MCSE course that I am taking. I figured A
    > > > would be the correct answer but then I also noticed the other choice
    > > > which is D. The correct answer is A in fact but I just wanted to see
    > > > what the experts on this board thought. Thanks.
    > > >
    > > > //j
    > > >

    > > The lessons to be learned are: train yourself to read the question

    properly,
    > > and watch for ambiguity on the real exam, because MS will do this. All

    the
    > > answers are correct, but only A is absolutely specific to the question.

    The
    > > question was to test for the TCP/IP stack, not whether you could confirm
    > > connectivity on the other side of a router.
    > >

    > BTW, that is *not* representative of a question that you would see on
    > the exam. Microsoft would have actually provided enough specificity
    > to eliminate the ambiguity- *if* you know your stuff, the questions
    > are *not* ambiguous.
    >
    > And, for the flitwit who asked if I'd ever taken a Microsoft exam, I
    > am quite confident in saying that I've probably taken ten times the
    > number of them that s/he has. I've had more involvement in the exam
    > process than simply taking them, in fact, and I know what goes into
    > the question contruction. What I say above is one of the
    > *requirements* of the questions that make it into the exams. For a
    > person who knows his or her stuff, every question must have one
    > *clearly* correct answer, one *clearly* incorrect answer and two or
    > more answers that would potentially trip up a person who doesn't
    > really know his or her stuff.
    >
    > So, again, despite the claims of some, Microsoft does not expect the
    > "Microsoft answer". I could write a huge tome about the exam
    > development process, but I can simply summarize by saying that if you
    > think the questions are ambiguous, then you don't know the material
    > well enough.
    >
    > My two cents,
    >
    > Laura
    > --
    > Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
    > -Oscar Wilde

    The tip off in this question is "How should she FIRST try..."

    I have seen this wording in MS books before.

    What if you ping the remote host and it fails? Then you would need
    to move you test closer in to the source, and ping the local host. If this
    fails then the problem is the TCP stack.

    This is why I hated multiple choice questions in college. It is possible to
    over-think the question, especially when more than one answer is valid.
    Over the years I have become somewhat skilled in seeing the "trick" in
    trick questions.

    Don't get me wrong, I want MS tests to be brutal. I can handle it :)
    To pass a well designed multiple choice test one needs to know the
    material backward and forward, but there are times when the "correct"
    response is the response they want. <duck>

    --
    kpg A+ MCP MCNGP 0x22
    Certificates? We don't need no steenking Certificates!

    and that just about killed that horse.

    kpg, Sep 9, 2004
  9. Luzanilla  Jose

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    JaR <> wrote in

    > In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Laura A. Robinson climbed on a
    > soapbox & opined:
    >
    >> circa 9 Sep 2004 07:37:38 -0700, in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse,
    >> Luzanilla Jose () said,
    >>> I got this question from an MCSE course that I am taking. I figured
    >>> A would be the correct answer but then I also noticed the other
    >>> choice which is D. The correct answer is A in fact but I just
    >>> wanted to see what the experts on this board thought. Thanks.
    >>>

    >> I disagree with the "correct" answer given. :)
    >>
    >> Laura

    > Anybody bring any more pocorn?
    >
    > Pass me another one of those Canadians, Rowdy.
    >
    > JaR
    > Ringside Thug
    >
    > *Vote for Me*

    *rowdy throws one at JaR ---> doing!*

    --
    Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
    http://rowdy_yates2.tripod.com/

    Rowdy Yates, Sep 9, 2004
  10. Luzanilla  Jose

    T-Bone Guest

    "JaR" <> wrote
    > Anybody bring any more pocorn?
    >
    > Pass me another one of those Canadians, Rowdy.

    I brought some Waterloo dark if anyone wants one.

    T-Bone
    Hands off my stubby!

    T-Bone, Sep 9, 2004
  11. circa Thu, 9 Sep 2004 11:43:12 -0500, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, kpg () said,
    > > BTW, that is *not* representative of a question that you would see on
    > > the exam. Microsoft would have actually provided enough specificity
    > > to eliminate the ambiguity- *if* you know your stuff, the questions
    > > are *not* ambiguous.
    > >
    > > And, for the flitwit who asked if I'd ever taken a Microsoft exam, I
    > > am quite confident in saying that I've probably taken ten times the
    > > number of them that s/he has. I've had more involvement in the exam
    > > process than simply taking them, in fact, and I know what goes into
    > > the question contruction. What I say above is one of the
    > > *requirements* of the questions that make it into the exams. For a
    > > person who knows his or her stuff, every question must have one
    > > *clearly* correct answer, one *clearly* incorrect answer and two or
    > > more answers that would potentially trip up a person who doesn't
    > > really know his or her stuff.
    > >
    > > So, again, despite the claims of some, Microsoft does not expect the
    > > "Microsoft answer". I could write a huge tome about the exam
    > > development process, but I can simply summarize by saying that if you
    > > think the questions are ambiguous, then you don't know the material
    > > well enough.
    > >
    > > My two cents,
    > >
    > > Laura
    > > --
    > > Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
    > > -Oscar Wilde

    > The tip off in this question is "How should she FIRST try..."

    No, it isn't, because that would mean that the *FIRST* thing she
    should try is to ping a remote host by name. Troubleshooting 101. The
    question is poorly worded, and the "answer" it purports to require is
    even poorer.

    Laura
    -Oscar Wilde

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 9, 2004
  12. Luzanilla  Jose

    kpg Guest

    If I were in the field I would ping the remote host.

    If I saw this question on a test I would answer ping local host.

    If I had a million dollars I would not be here.

    kp "If I were a carpenter..." g

    kpg, Sep 9, 2004
  13. Luzanilla  Jose

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > T-Bone
    > Hands off my stubby!

    I uh, um, I just don't know what to say to that, Koko...

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    first initial last name AT gmail DOT com

    Ken Briscoe, Sep 9, 2004
  14. circa Thu, 9 Sep 2004 12:44:41 -0500, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, kpg () said,
    > If I were in the field I would ping the remote host.

    Agreed.

    > If I saw this question on a test I would answer ping local host.

    If I saw this question on a test, it would be a beta exam and I would
    tell Microsoft that the question was a disaster and needed to be
    pulled or reworded. Oh, wait, I've done that before. ;-)

    > If I had a million dollars I would not be here.

    Well, I would, but that's just 'cause I'm crippled right now and
    can't go anywhere.

    Laura

    -Oscar Wilde

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 9, 2004
  15. Luzanilla  Jose

    Consultant Guest

    If I were a rich man
    Daidle deedle daidle deedle daidle dum
    All day long I'd biddy biddy bum
    If I were a wealthy man

    I wouldn't have to work hard
    Daidle deedle daidle deedle daidle dum
    If I were a biddy biddy rich
    Deedle daidle deedle daidle man

    I'd build a big tall house
    With rooms by the dozen
    Right in the middle of town
    A fine tin roof with real wooden floors below
    There could be one long staircase just going up
    And one even longer coming down
    And one more leading
    Nowhere just for show

    I'd fill my yard with chicks
    And turkeys and geese and ducks
    For the town to see and hear
    Squawking just as noisily as they can
    And each loud quack and cluck
    And gobble and honk
    Will land like a trumpet on the ear
    As if to say here lives a wealthy man

    If I were a rich man
    Daidle deedle daidle deedle daidle dum
    All day long I'd biddy biddy bum
    If I were a wealthy man

    I wouldn't have to work hard
    Daidle deedle daidle deedle daidle dum
    If I were a biddy biddy rich
    Deedle daidle deedle daidle man

    I see my wife, my Golde,
    Looking like a rich man's wife
    With a proper double chin;
    Supervising meals to her heart's delight
    I see her putting on airs
    And strutting like a peacock
    Oy! What a happy mood she's in
    Screaming at the servants day and night

    If I were rich I'd have the time that I lack
    To sit in the synagogue and pray
    And maybe have a seat by the eastern wall
    And I'd discuss the holy books
    With the learned men
    Seven hours hour every day
    That could be the sweetest thing of all

    The most important men in town
    Will come to fawn on me
    They will ask me to advise them
    Like a Solomon the wise
    "If you please Reb Tevye,
    Pardon me Reb Tevye"
    Posing problems that would cross
    The rabbi's eyes

    And it won't make one bit of difference
    If I answer right or wrong
    When you're rich,
    They think you really know

    If I were a rich man
    Daidle deedle daidle deedle daidle dum
    All day long I'd biddy biddy bum
    If I were a wealthy man

    I wouldn't have to work hard
    Daidle deedel daidle deedle daidle dum
    If I were a biddy biddy rich
    Daidle deedle daidle deedle daidle dum

    If I were a rich man
    Daidle deedle daidle deedle daidle dum
    Lord who made the lion and the lamb
    You decreed I should be what I am
    Would it spoil some vast eternal plan
    If I were a wealthy man?

    Consultant, Sep 9, 2004
  16. Luzanilla  Jose

    Jtyc Guest

    Matchmaker matchmaker make me a match
    Find me a find.
    Catch me a catch.

    Matchmaker matchmaker look through your book
    and make me a match tonight.

    I didn't have to look that up...

    *cries*

    Jtyc, Sep 9, 2004
  17. Luzanilla  Jose

    Doom Guest

    "Ken Briscoe" <> wrote in message
    > "T-Bone" <reply2me@thenewsgroup> wrote in message
    >>
    >> T-Bone
    >> Hands off my stubby!

    > I uh, um, I just don't know what to say to that, Koko...
    >
    > --
    >
    > KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26
    >
    > first initial last name AT gmail DOT com

    Koko. Good one. LOL

    Doom, Sep 9, 2004
  18. circa Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:58:46 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Consultant
    () said,
    > If I were a rich man
    > Daidle deedle daidle deedle daidle dum
    > All day long I'd biddy biddy bum
    > If I were a wealthy man

    <snippage>

    You have a real future on Broadway, especially since the operation.

    Laura
    -Oscar Wilde

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 9, 2004
  19. circa Thu, 9 Sep 2004 11:02:41 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Jtyc (jtyc_mcngp@spamblockerbitch!)
    said,
    > Matchmaker matchmaker make me a match
    > Find me a find.
    > Catch me a catch.
    >
    > Matchmaker matchmaker look through your book
    > and make me a match tonight.
    >

    > I didn't have to look that up...
    >
    > *cries*

    I'm definitely not adopting you.
    -Oscar Wilde

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 9, 2004
  20. Luzanilla  Jose

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "kpg" <> wrote in message
    > If I were in the field I would ping the remote host.
    >
    > If I saw this question on a test I would answer ping local host.
    >
    > If I had a million dollars I would do two chicks at the same time.

    IFYPFY.

    Ken Briscoe, Sep 9, 2004