Re: TC cable modem rental

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by uh oh!, Apr 23, 2004.

  1. uh oh!

    uh oh! Guest

    Palm wrote:
    > Just thought I'd share this with you guys :
    >
    > Question to TC :
    > Cable modem purchase, it has been well over a year since I last contacted
    > you regarding purchasing my own cable modem, the official word was it will
    > be "soon". Looking at your website it says "reasonable near future".
    > Currently I'm paying ($10.95 * 12)$131.40 per year to you for a modem I can
    > purchase for $109.37
    > (http://www.dvdshop.co.nz/shop/product.aspx?asin=B00008Y1BX $US67.99). If
    > telecom can allow users to use own adsl modems for jetstream and you can
    > allow dial up customers to use there own dial up modems I do not see what
    > the problem is. I do hope this will change within the next few months, this
    > is all rather disappointing!

    <snip>

    Their network, their rules? From a support perspective, having a
    consistent platform makes it much easier ;P
    uh oh!, Apr 23, 2004

  2. uh oh!

    Jake Collins Guest

    But I only want to use exactly the same modem as they rent me, a Motorola
    Surfboard. I cannot see why it should make a difference support-wise whether
    it is my Motorola or their Motorola.
    Jake Collins, Apr 23, 2004

  3. uh oh!

    brundlefly Guest

    "Jake Collins" <> wrote in message
    > But I only want to use exactly the same modem as they rent me, a Motorola
    > Surfboard. I cannot see why it should make a difference support-wise

    whether
    > it is my Motorola or their Motorola.

    It's not a matter of support, its about rights, control and liability.
    If it was your modem you could do this to it ;-)
    http://www.tcniso.net/Nav/Software/
    brundlefly, Apr 23, 2004
  4. uh oh!

    geoffm Guest

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 08:46:07 +1200, "Jake Collins"
    <> wrote:

    >But I only want to use exactly the same modem as they rent me, a Motorola
    >Surfboard. I cannot see why it should make a difference support-wise whether
    >it is my Motorola or their Motorola.

    But rental gives a nice, steady, very profitable cashflow, no matter
    how much the ISP margins get squeezed..
    Geoff

    --
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
    geoffm, Apr 24, 2004