Re: task bar suddenly twice as high

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Sep 23, 2010.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Lookout wrote:

    > I guess I dragged it up but now I can't get it back where it was.
    > I have tried unclicking Quick Launch but that does no good. It does
    > solve the problem for the time..the 6 icons next to the clock are now
    > on one line. As soon as I enable it again it gets twice as thick again
    > and the 6 icons divide into 3 on top and 3 on the bottom.

    First be sure the taskbar is unlocked. Next you need to be sure that
    there are no toolbars located in the unwanted level. Additional toolbar
    edge/s can be identified by a nearly invisible series of little vertical
    dots.

    You can't reduce the width of the taskbar with the double arrow as long
    as there is some toolbar content in the unwanted level. You need to drag
    that toolbar into the level you want or hide/eliminate it until you get
    the thickness you want.

    When you get the taskbar the right size/thickness you can lock it.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 23, 2010

  2. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Lookout wrote:
    > Mike Easter
    >> Lookout wrote:
    >>
    >>> I guess I dragged it up but now I can't get it back where it was.
    >>> I have tried unclicking Quick Launch but that does no good. It does
    >>> solve the problem for the time..the 6 icons next to the clock are now
    >>> on one line. As soon as I enable it again it gets twice as thick again
    >>> and the 6 icons divide into 3 on top and 3 on the bottom.

    >> First be sure the taskbar is unlocked. Next you need to be sure that
    >> there are no toolbars located in the unwanted level. Additional toolbar
    >> edge/s can be identified by a nearly invisible series of little vertical
    >> dots.

    > Unlocked and NO dots in a vertical line.

    All toolbars (such as quick launch) have vertical dots. In the case of
    QL, the dots are seen to the right of the QL icons.

    >> You can't reduce the width of the taskbar with the double arrow as long
    >> as there is some toolbar content in the unwanted level. You need to drag
    >> that toolbar into the level you want or hide/eliminate it until you get
    >> the thickness you want.

    > The SIX are in ONE think tool bar and I can't drag the left edge out
    > to get them on one level.
    >> When you get the taskbar the right size/thickness you can lock it.

    > I believe the 6 next to the clock are causing the problem but there is
    > no way to move them.

    The clock area is called the notification area (called system tray by
    some) and it doesn't have the dots.

    Since the QL is causing the problem, I'll bet it is the one which is not
    located in the correct part of the taskbar.

    Twiddle around with dragging the dots to the right of the QL into
    another part (higher or lower) of the taskbar.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 23, 2010

  3. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Lookout wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> Twiddle around with dragging the dots to the right of the QL into
    >> another part (higher or lower) of the taskbar.

    > Success! I was making a vid to post to show the problem and I solved
    > it as I went step by step.

    Good.

    So does that mean that you were able to see the sizing handle/s and move
    one 'around'.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 23, 2010
  4. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Lookout wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> So does that mean that you were able to see the sizing handle/s and move
    >> one 'around'.

    > One more time...I ALWAYS COULD see the SOLID vertical bars. There were
    > NEVER and DOTTED vertical bars.

    You must be running a classic windows theme instead of an XP theme.
    Classic has more distinct sizing handles; Also a gray task bar. XP
    theme has zipper sizing handles which I first tho't were dots.

    > I had to close all programs and THEN move the solid vertical bar to
    > the top, then lock the tool bar, then reboot to make sure the change
    > was locked in.

    Yeah. Move the sizing bar, whatever it looks like in your theme. Good.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 23, 2010