Re: Tale of the Laser - redux

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 30, 2013.

  1. Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 30, 2013

    >>> http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/25/5292168/la-man-gets-2-12-years-for-laser.html

    >> That's rather "Tale of the Laser --- the law's reaction".

    >> Remember that when the law steps on photographers again.

    > It is tough to equate a frivolous

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/frivolous
    1 a, 2 a --- most photography is frivolous.

    > and potentially dangerous

    People can and do use photographs to aid planning crimes and
    terrorism, even invasions of foreign powers. (For example,
    during WWII the British asked their population for photographs
    of northern France to help plan the invasion.) So photography
    is potentially dangerous, and not only to just a single plane
    full of people.

    > criminal act,

    A criminal act is only criminal because a law says it's so.

    There have been laws limiting the rights of photography, and
    people harassing photographers within and outside these laws.

    There is no guarantee stupid laws aren't made and passed.
    Hell, they nearly passed this one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill
    and that's a law that only needs math to prove bad, not
    common sense. Or how about MaCarthyism?

    > with a violation of photographers' rights.

    Rights are defined by laws. Just as criminal acts are.
    Changing laws can trivially turn a former right into a
    criminal act. They're very similar.

    > That is unless you approve of blinding pilots on final landing
    > approach.

    So why don't you try them for attempted multiple
    manslaughter and dangerous interference with air traffic?

    Don't you have such laws?

    > It is not a game, this asshole was convicted of playing,

    It's a game that's potentially dangerous to others. There
    are lots other games of that type around and people play
    them. Banking comes to mind. Political maneuvers like those
    around the latest fiscal cliff. Racing on public streets.

    > nor
    > was it some photographer told he didn't have permission to take a
    > photograph when it was clear the individual telling him that, had no
    > idea of what was permitted and what was not.

    > He got a break with the reduced sentence by pleading guilty.

    I'll remind you when the next photographer gets a break with
    a reduced sentence by pleading guilty to some crime that's
    been newly made --- probably on the pretext of saving the
    children or the war on drugs/terrorism (or the private war
    against the Islam and for good old American values).

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 31, 2013

  3. Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2013-03-31 14:48:26 -0700, Wolfgang Weisselberg

    >> I'll remind you when the next photographer gets a break with
    >> a reduced sentence by pleading guilty to some crime that's
    >> been newly made --- probably on the pretext of saving the
    >> children or the war on drugs/terrorism (or the private war
    >> against the Islam and for good old American values).

    > There just seem to be times you don't get it.

    Is that an appeal to what is known as "gesundes Volksempfinden"?[1]
    Some people get ... nervous ... with that kind of logic.

    Not that I condone pointing lasers at planes ...

    -Wolfgang

    [1] When the argument seems to be that "all right-thinking
    people think that" and no further arguments are offered ...

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Apr 3, 2013