Re: Tale of the Laser - redux

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rikishi42, Mar 27, 2013.

  1. Rikishi42

    Rikishi42 Guest

    On 2013-03-26, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > Well here is the outcome of one of the "Laser pointed at aircraft"
    > cases which we had discussed some weeks ago.
    ><
    > http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/25/5292168/la-man-gets-2-12-years-for-laser.html

    That is pathetic !

    What's next, jail for pointing a finger at a armed vehicle ?

    --
    When in doubt, use brute force.
    -- Ken Thompson
    Rikishi42, Mar 27, 2013

  2. On 26/03/2013 8:11 PM, Rikishi42 wrote:
    > On 2013-03-26, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >> Well here is the outcome of one of the "Laser pointed at aircraft"
    >> cases which we had discussed some weeks ago.
    >> <
    >> http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/25/5292168/la-man-gets-2-12-years-for-laser.html

    > That is pathetic !
    >
    > What's next, jail for pointing a finger at a armed vehicle ?

    You are invited to Nellis Air Force Gunnery and Bombing Range, you can
    use your laser to test the paveways...

    --
    This space intentionally left blank.
    Usenet Account, Mar 27, 2013

  3. On 3/27/2013 10:33 AM, George Kerby wrote:

    > On 3/27/13 6:29 AM, in article ,
    > "Bowser" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 01:11:20 +0100, Rikishi42
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> That is pathetic !
    >>>
    >>> What's next, jail for pointing a finger at a armed vehicle ?

    >> So you're OK with someone trying to blind a pilot of a flying
    >> aircraaft? Really? How about if you were on board?

    > Sounds like we have a Occu-pooper on board this Group...

    This discussion seems to consider all lasers equal and not take account
    their power or wavelength. I doubt if a laser lecture pointer could do
    much harm to a pilot's vision but quite high powered lasers are
    relatively cheap.

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
    James Silverton, Mar 27, 2013
  4. On 27/03/2013 12:06 PM, James Silverton wrote:
    > On 3/27/2013 10:33 AM, George Kerby wrote:
    >>

    >> On 3/27/13 6:29 AM, in article
    >> ,
    >> "Bowser" <> wrote:

    >>> So you're OK with someone trying to blind a pilot of a flying
    >>> aircraaft? Really? How about if you were on board?

    >> Sounds like we have a Occu-pooper on board this Group...
    >>

    > This discussion seems to consider all lasers equal and not take account
    > their power or wavelength. I doubt if a laser lecture pointer could do
    > much harm to a pilot's vision but quite high powered lasers are
    > relatively cheap.

    Even a low power laser can temporarily cause issues with night vision.

    --
    This space intentionally left blank.
    Usenet Account, Mar 27, 2013
  5. Rikishi42

    Rikishi42 Guest

    On 2013-03-27, Bowser <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 01:11:20 +0100, Rikishi42
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2013-03-26, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >>> Well here is the outcome of one of the "Laser pointed at aircraft"
    >>> cases which we had discussed some weeks ago.
    >>><
    >>> http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/25/5292168/la-man-gets-2-12-years-for-laser.html

    >>That is pathetic !
    >>
    >>What's next, jail for pointing a finger at a armed vehicle ?

    > So you're OK with someone trying to blind a pilot of a flying
    > aircraaft? Really? How about if you were on board?

    Why should that follow?

    It just seems really unlikely to do any actual blinding and the time he has
    to do seems rather long, considering nobody got hurt.

    I mean, you can create the same danger by using a flash on a passing car.
    But unless it crashes, I hope nobody gets put behind bars for 2.5 years.

    Rikishi42, Mar 27, 2013
  6. Rikishi42

    Rikishi42 Guest

    On 2013-03-27, George Kerby <> wrote:

    > On 3/27/13 6:29 AM, in article ,
    > "Bowser" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 01:11:20 +0100, Rikishi42
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> That is pathetic !
    >>>
    >>> What's next, jail for pointing a finger at a armed vehicle ?

    >> So you're OK with someone trying to blind a pilot of a flying
    >> aircraaft? Really? How about if you were on board?

    > Sounds like we have a Occu-pooper on board this Group...

    A what??? :)

    Rikishi42, Mar 27, 2013
  7. Rikishi42

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/26/2013 9:54 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-03-26 17:11:20 -0700, Rikishi42 <> said:
    >
    >> On 2013-03-26, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >>> Well here is the outcome of one of the "Laser pointed at aircraft"
    >>> cases which we had discussed some weeks ago.
    >>> <
    >>> http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/25/5292168/la-man-gets-2-12-years-for-laser.html
    >>>

    >> That is pathetic !
    >>
    >> What's next, jail for pointing a finger at a armed vehicle ?

    > Maybe, maybe not.
    >
    > You might not say that if you were the pilot of that Cessna or the
    > helicopter.
    > < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lasers_and_aviation_safety >

    Or a passenger whose life was placed in unnecessary danger.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Mar 28, 2013